Next Generation academy

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
I wonder if we did trade 4 for 6 and GWS' 2020 first, what we could get for Our 2020 first and GWS 2020 first if we bundled them together for a pick in this draft.

I absolutely think we need to attack this years draft, and agree we should look at trading out any 2020 1st rounders.
Our 2020 1st rounder should be shopped as a Top 6 pick.
The GWS 2020 pick is a bit more difficult as it could end up anywhere from Pick 10 to a Pick in the early 20's..

If Melb don't look like they want to Pick swap with GWS, then GWS should assume Melb will bid on Green. We should absolutely make a play for their Pick 6 in that case.

Luko for 2021 1st
Grundy as RFA (Pies take compo)
Back end picks for NGA/FS

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I absolutely think we need to attack this years draft, and agree we should look at trading out any 2020 1st rounders.
Our 2020 1st rounder should be shopped as a Top 6 pick.
The GWS 2020 pick is a bit more difficult as it could end up anywhere from Pick 10 to a Pick in the early 20's..

If Melb don't look like they want to Pick swap with GWS, then GWS should assume Melb will bid on Green. We should absolutely make a play for their Pick 6 in that case.
I can't agree with this at all, Melbourne may very well bid on Green [knowing almost certainly it will be matched], but there is absolutely no certainty the player they really want and expect to get with their current pick 3 will still be available at 6. The media seem to think that player is Luke Jackson personally I feel it's Hayden Young and I have Melbourne down as favourites to take Brodie Kemp at 8.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Call me a pessimist but I wouldn't trade our 2020 1st rounder

Tough draw, no players of note in, best players creeping beyond their prime

Reckon 2020 will be a good year for the club like 1996 was but not a good year on the premiership table

eddiespocket

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing
I saw somewhere that we might get access to a maximum one top 20 pick match per year, but can't remember where I saw it. We won't know until the rules are announced. Given that North have access to an indigenous population greater that half of the SA indigenous population (hard to tell with the other zones), fairness would dictate there shouldn't be any restriction on Port and Crows (but unlikely, as we are not victorian clubs).

Having more SA kids drafted, particularly with Crows allegiances, isn't a bad thing even if we don't get priority access. We have more to pick from on draft night and can hopefully get more to come home.

We should be telling the world that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is awesome, particularly those that look good but won't make it as an AFL player (which we should have the inside running on).

Metro Indigenous not before pick 40 was the suggested tweak, not sure if it has been approved yet

Where does Dudley live, metro or out past Gawler :cool:

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Reckon 2020 will be a good year for the club like 1996 was but not a good year on the premiership table
Season could go either way.

I could see us surprising:
Good run with injury, players take to Nicks, we still have the nucleus of a competitive side, youth bring some freshness and enthusiasm.

Not fussed about the draw, 12 AO games, plenty of average sides in the league. For this reason, (and the fact that we have never been completely devoid of talent), we really only truly suck when there's a disconnect between players and coach. Even then we tend to around 8 games.

Our issue will be that there's a fair bit of new blood, and we seem to lack a couple of geniune match winners.

Of course, if the players dont like Nicks/he sucks/we get injuries/or there's any lingering issues at the club, then we will have another terrible season.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think we need to fast track the rebuild and getting an extra first-round kid a year earlier could be crucial for getting them to their peak while the ~28-year-olds at the club are still playing good football.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
I think we need to fast track the rebuild and getting an extra first-round kid a year earlier could be crucial for getting them to their peak while the ~28-year-olds at the club are still playing good football.
Should have started last season. We still have a few older players on our list. Our signing Sloane for 5 years may end in tears in a couple of years.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Should have started last season. We still have a few older players on our list. Our signing Sloane for 5 years may end in tears in a couple of years.
The pattern seems to be sign them up long term in order to retain them, then ship them off year 4-5 to someone who will pay half their salary, which is their true worth at the time, and we dump some salary cap and wear the rest.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not of this opinion.

Last year we picked up two firsts in Jones and Ned.

The year before, Fog

And the year before that, Gooch.

None of these 4 have been given a full seasons worth of opportunity yet. They need it now and in a big way, or they get left in the backlog of untried talent in the twos.

That's 4 first rounders to get significant (>15 games) game time this coming season, not including anyone picked in the 2019 draft.

Pile on top the players that still need a shot at the highest level next year in McAdam, Stengle, Scholl etc etc.. That's a lot of youth yet to blood.

I'd rather one elite talent than two mediocre to good ones, particularly in the position we are in.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I'm not of this opinion.

Last year we picked up two firsts in Jones and Ned.

The year before, Fog

And the year before that, Gooch.

None of these 4 have been given a full seasons worth of opportunity yet. They need it now and in a big way, or they get left in the backlog of untried talent in the twos.

That's 4 first rounders to get significant (>15 games) game time this coming season, not including anyone picked in the 2019 draft.

Pile on top the players that still need a shot at the highest level next year in McAdam, Stengle, Scholl etc etc.. That's a lot of youth yet to blood.

I'd rather one elite talent than two mediocre to good ones, particularly in the position we are in.

I think the bigger question is do we look to trade out 2020 1st round for pick 6?

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
I can't agree with this at all, Melbourne may very well bid on Green [knowing almost certainly it will be matched], but there is absolutely no certainty the player they really want and expect to get with their current pick 3 will still be available at 6. The media seem to think that player is Luke Jackson personally I feel it's Hayden Young and I have Melbourne down as favourites to take Brodie Kemp at 8.

Not sure if that came across properly, think we have our wires crossed there.

I don't think Melbourne will, or should, do a pick swap with GWS at all, they'll go to the draft with Pick 3 & 8, for the reasons you've mentioned.

But if GWS can't get a pick swap done with Melb before draft night, GWS should look to trade their Pick 6 out of this years draft for another high draft pick to use next year. It's preserving the pick, essentially, so it doesn't get gobbled up in meeting a bid for Green at 3 (which is sure to happen). To do this they'd need to trade with someone, like the Crows, who would give them a few more back end picks this year to meet a bid for Green when it comes in at Pick 3.

Crows trade:
- 2019 P 37,45,49 (1117 points - equiv Pick 15)
- 2020 1st round (likely top 6)

GWS trade:
- 2019 Pick 6
- 2020 1st round (likely 12-20)

This leaves GWS with enough points to cover a bid for Green in 2019, but also turns their Pick 6 this year into a probably high pick next year (ours)

Leave us with Picks 4, 6, 23, 27 for the 2019 draft & plenty of opportunity with live trading to split one of those first 2 picks into multiple 1st rounders.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg

Possibly Grundy, Luko
2-3 NGA/FS

That's plenty of talent coming in if we can make it happen

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
20191107_162434.png

20191107_162324.png

So I guessing Dudley is in the outer Gawler area which is regional and there by is qualified to our NGA

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
How can North have any indigenous player in Tasmania zoned to them and all we get is a tiny speck in the far north west of the state in the APY lands, population less than 10k

West Coast, Freo, Port and us should have our states divided 50/50 in regards to NGA, the Vics get such a leg up over us, even Queensland and NSW get more we have been totally reamed in this regard.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why are we fattening up these kids only for Hawthorn or Sydney to swoop in and take them away and we get nothing? I understand investing time and effort if all of those kids could potentially be on our list if we want them to be.

Why are we advertising how good these kids are? West coast hide players in remote areas and we broadcast to the world how awesome they are and how well we developed them. It is the one area we can get a leg up and we're wasting it.

If that new rule comes in about metro players it only applies to picks after 40 anything before that and we get no rights to them
I guess we are doing it to show we are developing these players and pushing for the rule change.

Back