Next generation Test batsmen

Who will be the next star test batsman? (multiple selections allowed)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do people think Jake Doran is at? Turns 20 on Friday, and just scored his 3rd FC 50 (from 147 balls, 6 fours, 1 six) in his 20th FC innings (all in the Shield, average of 24.78 right now). Will he ever come close to living up to the massive hype? And should he continue as a wicketkeeper too, or just focus on his batting?
Rckon he should drop the gloves and focus on batting ... in saying that, having the gloves is probably whats keeping him in the Shield team. He is too good a player to be batting at 7 imo. Not even 20 yet, still loads of time. He has definitly improved this season compared to last. Out of his league last season but a bit more consistent this season and not giving his wicket away as easily.

Rckon he should drop the gloves and focus on batting ... in saying that, having the gloves is probably whats keeping him in the Shield team. He is too good a player to be batting at 7 imo. Not even 20 yet, still loads of time. He has definitly improved this season compared to last. Out of his league last season but a bit more consistent this season and not giving his wicket away as easily.

I do think it's interesting that with all the options they have available (Tim Paine, Ben Dunk, Ben McDermott), they choose him to wear the keeper's gloves. Clearly it's for his overall development, and a way to justify his selection while his batting improves.

Where do people think Jake Doran is at? Turns 20 on Friday, and just scored his 3rd FC 50 (from 147 balls, 6 fours, 1 six) in his 20th FC innings (all in the Shield, average of 24.78 right now). Will he ever come close to living up to the massive hype? And should he continue as a wicketkeeper too, or just focus on his batting?
Had ridiculous amounts of pressure put on him whilst he was only 16 or 17 years of age. Had articles in the SMH pumping him up, was playing for the chairman XI against England at 16. I wouldn't say setting him up to fail was the right phrase because he has a lot of talent, but it is such a hard thing to deal with for a young guy that age.

Doran is a year younger than Renshaw and both have very good records (average 50+) for Australia u/19, albeit Doran played an amazing 2.5 years in the U/19 team for 30 ODI's (I think that is a record) whilst Renshaw just played the standard 1 year in that team. But Renshaw flew under the radar and hit FC cricket running, whilst Doran has struggled through his first year.

The next guy to get the Jake Doran treatment will be Jason Sangha who's been giving a NSW rookie contract making him the youngest ever contracted player for NSW.

Had ridiculous amounts of pressure put on him whilst he was only 16 or 17 years of age. Had articles in the SMH pumping him up, was playing for the chairman XI against England at 16. I wouldn't say setting him up to fail was the right phrase because he has a lot of talent, but it is such a hard thing to deal with for a young guy that age.

Doran is a year younger than Renshaw and both have very good records (average 50+) for Australia u/19, albeit Doran played an amazing 2.5 years in the U/19 team for 30 ODI's (I think that is a record) whilst Renshaw just played the standard 1 year in that team. But Renshaw flew under the radar and hit FC cricket running, whilst Doran has struggled through his first year.

The next guy to get the Jake Doran treatment will be Jason Sangha who's been giving a NSW rookie contract making him the youngest ever contracted player for NSW.

Yeah I seem to recall some people here (obviously the more deluded posters around) calling for Doran to be fast-tracked towards the Test team, before he'd even played a FC match, so hyped was his talent.

Yeah I seem to recall some people here (obviously the more deluded posters around) calling for Doran to be fast-tracked towards the Test team, before he'd even played a FC match, so hyped was his talent.
There were those in the cricketing community who wanted him pushed so that he could be in a position to be playing test cricket by 21. People who should know a lot better then that as well. It could still happen. He's not even 20 and in the current climate any batsmen under the age of 25 can go from rookie to test contention within half a shield season if they score heavily enough. Bat at this stage you'd say it's looking like he'll take the standard couple of seasons at FC level to find his feet - which is fine.

Also reckon the decision to move from NSW to Tasmania was a mistake. Tassie has been pathetic this season which means he doesn't get a chance to build an innings with another player. And with him coming in at 7, he is usually batting with the tail.
While it may have taken him longer to get in the FC system in NSW, he probably would have developed faster being there.

whats the general feeling around Marcus Harris. Not saying hes ready just yet, but has been batting beautifully in the shield so far

whats the general feeling around Marcus Harris. Not saying hes ready just yet, but has been batting beautifully in the shield so far
Atm, he is playing as an opener, l reckon we have better options out there. Maybe he can be a Warner replacement when he retires but l feel that when Warner does retire we will probably want another young bat to replace him as Renshaw should be quite experienced by then.

Rightly or wrongly a player who has multiple seasons of underperforming at first class level comes with baggage and needs to play at a higher level then a guy who bursts onto the scene.

Had Michael Klinger not played for Victoria he would've played test cricket for sure.

lehmann would already be in the team if he didn't have the unfortunate honour of playing for SA. will need to raise his average from 50 to at least 65 over 5 3 seasons to get a sniff of a shot at carrying the drinks for the australian team
Nothing more pathetic than people who buy into this state bias thing.

All we should really care about is the options we look likely to have going into the future.

Not including the guys who have recently played test cricket but the next gen of guys. The Harris', the Head's, the Heazlett's etc. etc.

We seem to be over the curve with so - so state guys and moving into the future. Now who takes the next step is the big question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rightly or wrongly a player who has multiple seasons of underperforming at first class level comes with baggage and needs to play at a higher level then a guy who bursts onto the scene.

Had Michael Klinger not played for Victoria he would've played test cricket for sure.

I disagree. Klinger had the issue of having horrible seasons whenever a spot was available while performing when the team was going well

Silk is a great example of why blokes will rarely get picked on the back of a few games. Even 10 games like Renshaw is rare, but at least 10 matches is a lot more exposed form.

Selectors would've been well aware that he was hardly a star in Sydney Grade before moving to Tasmania. I remember his name coming onto the scene with a ton as a 16 year old but it was a few years and about 50 more matches before ton #2.

I disagree. Klinger had the issue of having horrible seasons whenever a spot was available while performing when the team was going well
No doubt he picked some inopportune times to go on dry spells, particularly in 2010/11. I guess we'll never know but if Klinger had debuted in 08/09 it would've been very hard not to find a spot for him after a couple of FC seasons and an average of 65. But 8 seasons, 40 matches an average of 27 is a lot of baggage to shake.

No doubt he picked some inopportune times to go on dry spells, particularly in 2010/11. I guess we'll never know but if Klinger had debuted in 08/09 it would've been very hard not to find a spot for him after a couple of FC seasons and an average of 65. But 8 seasons, 40 matches an average of 27 is a lot of baggage to shake.

Especially with Hughes' record at the time

Back