Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a really weird situation because it feels like we have an abundance of short form batters who could "pop", Fraser-McGurk, Wylie, Connoly, Dixon (Renegades U19 Aus rep is rookie contracted) etc. The strong young bowlers are in the longer form of the game. Perry, O'Neil, Buckingham all under 24 doing well at SS level but very few batters.

Its a really weird situation because it feels like we have an abundance of short form batters who could "pop", Fraser-McGurk, Wylie, Connoly, Dixon (Renegades U19 Aus rep is rookie contracted) etc. The strong young bowlers are in the longer form of the game. Perry, O'Neil, Buckingham all under 24 doing well at SS level but very few batters.

clayton is the one i really want to see open for his state. think he has the game to make it. Has had a poor run which you like to see, gone away worked on it an made a 100 last week. love to see him slide into the team when ussie retires or smith moves down.

Are the pitches really that crazy? Even if they are, we shouldn’t aspire to flat wickets. We should want wickets which are true. Predictable bounce, even if it is steepling, is fine.
From reading the shield reports, the amount of times ‘tricky wicket’ gets mentioned this year or an opposition captain/coach being unhappy with it seems to have gone up massively. I’m not one to advocate for roads, but it seems the balance has been off this season. All three games this round the pitch was mentioned as a factor, even the Junction oval.

From reading the shield reports, the amount of times ‘tricky wicket’ gets mentioned this year or an opposition captain/coach being unhappy with it seems to have gone up massively. I’m not one to advocate for roads, but it seems the balance has been off this season. All three games this round the pitch was mentioned as a factor, even the Junction oval.
That's because everyone bitches about the Junction being a road when they make it one.

Another amazingly mature innings from 17yo Oliver Peake in the u19 World Cup final. He has great game awareness, knows when to score and when to sit back and stabilise the team while keeping the runs ticking over. We could have a real player here.
Scored at a-run-a-ball while playing with the tail in a position where we couldn't afford to lose a wicket.

Shield Pitches are a joke atm...

The 3 first innings scores this round were 252, 183 and 132.

Scores from relevant players;

Oliver Davies - 4 (4)
Bancroft - 2 (12)
Green - 6 (14)
McGurk - 0 (4)
McSweeney - 0 (8)
Carey - 49 (55)
Renshaw - 8 (24)
Labuschagne - 38 (112)

Make the pitches a bit more bat friendly for god sakes.

Shield Pitches are a joke atm...

The 3 first innings scores this round were 252, 183 and 132.

Scores from relevant players;

Oliver Davies - 4 (4)
Bancroft - 2 (12)
Green - 6 (14)
McGurk - 0 (4)
McSweeney - 0 (8)
Carey - 49 (55)
Renshaw - 8 (24)
Labuschagne - 38 (112)

Make the pitches a bit more bat friendly for god sakes.
Nothing wrong with the SCG pitch. Was a road after lunch.

Pretty garbage dismissal from Fraser-McGurk today. Awful shot selection and execution.
I heard it was an ordinary decision in that he missed it by a foot - having said that I’ll be stuffed if he makes it as a red ball player - he has no technique

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard it was an ordinary decision in that he missed it by a foot - having said that I’ll be stuffed if he makes it as a red ball player - he has no technique
The difference between JFM and Warner, is that Davey had gears and a far more solid technique.
JFM could develop into a Maxwell type rags or riches white ball regular. But even then he needs to develop gears, so he can adapt his game to pitch or match conditions.

Correct. It was a poor decision for sure, but also an ordinary shot at the same time. You hear the likes of Ponting (who I consider to be a good judge) stating he should be elevated to the Australian team ASAP. I'm just not seeing what they are seeing, or maybe they are not seeing what I am.

I am certain he doesn't watch the ball onto the bat. He sees it heading down the pitch, and then swings from the hip, sometimes not even looking at the ball. I know the Redbacks are struggling to find anyone to open the batting right now, but they have to be kidding themselves to think JFM is an opener in a 4 day game. He seems to feel every ball is there to hit to the boundary.

Unfortunately, we have entered the era of batsmen being judged, not on their ability to perform on a regular basis, but on what people imagine a batsman MAY be capable of. T20 player at best.

Correct. It was a poor decision for sure, but also an ordinary shot at the same time. You hear the likes of Ponting (who I consider to be a good judge) stating he should be elevated to the Australian team ASAP. I'm just not seeing what they are seeing, or maybe they are not seeing what I am.

I am certain he doesn't watch the ball onto the bat. He sees it heading down the pitch, and then swings from the hip, sometimes not even looking at the ball. I know the Redbacks are struggling to find anyone to open the batting right now, but they have to be kidding themselves to think JFM is an opener in a 4 day game. He seems to feel every ball is there to hit to the boundary.

Unfortunately, we have entered the era of batsmen being judged, not on their ability to perform on a regular basis, but on what people imagine a batsman MAY be capable of. T20 player at best.
Alternatively he is one of the better ones we have - which reflects the demise of coaching and batting standards in the last 20 years - you reap what you sow

I'm glad someone has captured his dismissal in the 2nd innings. That's parklands stuff. Only been in for 5 balls with a new ball moving around, he decides to walk down the wicket to slog over the mid-wicket boundary. He's a clown in desperate need of a reality check and having former Test players saying he should be in the Australian team isn't helping.

Take out that 101 he slogged against Victoria, his Sheffield Shield performances this season have been 178 runs @ 16.18, top score 37.

Actually, that dismissal highlights my previous criticism of him. You'll notice how, as he's about to strike the ball, he's taken his eye off the ball and is already looking at where he hopes the ball will end up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back