Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

People putting Ollie Davies' name forward a lot on here, but I'm not quite sure yet with regards to FC cricket. What do people think about his technique? Doesn't seem to move his feet much but has great hand-eye coordination.
Also, what the hell has happened to Jason Sangha? My word hope he can resurrect things interstate perhaps. Still quite young.

People putting Ollie Davies' name forward a lot on here, but I'm not quite sure yet with regards to FC cricket. What do people think about his technique? Doesn't seem to move his feet much but has great hand-eye coordination.
Also, what the hell has happened to Jason Sangha? My word hope he can resurrect things interstate perhaps. Still quite young.
Put simply very few if any have what I would call basic technique. Plenty of white ball fair weather sailors but very few solid run churning machines…in fact none.

I’m happy to suggest JFM and Ollie Davies need some serious work if they want to be considered for Test Cricket. But here’s the bigger problem, we have no next best and as someone suggested India could name 3 sides and their A’s & B’s would flog our sides and I’d struggle to pick who would make our teams.

Cricket headed off down the “Talent Pathway” trying to copy Footy years ago - sadly it’s been a flawed decision because the basis of it is all wrong. In cricket more so than any other talent is so overrated. You need mental application and technical skills in equal parts and a fair degree of heart. The 🤡 in charge thought they could just skim talent and retro fit the rest…you can’t and by destroying the building blocks you stuff the whole system, potentially irreversibly.

Put simply very few if any have what I would call basic technique. Plenty of white ball fair weather sailors but very few solid run churning machines…in fact none.

I’m happy to suggest JFM and Ollie Davies need some serious work if they want to be considered for Test Cricket. But here’s the bigger problem, we have no next best and as someone suggested India could name 3 sides and their A’s & B’s would flog our sides and I’d struggle to pick who would make our teams.

Cricket headed off down the “Talent Pathway” trying to copy Footy years ago - sadly it’s been a flawed decision because the basis of it is all wrong. In cricket more so than any other talent is so overrated. You need mental application and technical skills in equal parts and a fair degree of heart. The 🤡 in charge thought they could just skim talent and retro fit the rest…you can’t and by destroying the building blocks you stuff the whole system, potentially irreversibly.
One difference has been that Davies does seem to show a lot more discipline in his batting, JFM just want to slog every third ball regardless of where it’s bowled. Davies is showing the ability to build his innings, play himself in rotate the strike and wait for a bad ball without taking huge slogs hoping for the best.

If he can build on this over the next 12-18 months I don’t see why he can’t come into serious consideration for the test team.

I don’t think he’ll ever bat at 3-4 more so he’ll be someone who comes in at 5-6.

Heard Chris Rogers on this - was very interesting in talking about his own career in that he always framed ‘mental application’ as a talent in and of itself. You can work on it but comes more naturally to some than others.

Heard Chris Rogers on this - was very interesting in talking about his own career in that he always framed ‘mental application’ as a talent in and of itself. You can work on it but comes more naturally to some than others.
Over my time in the game (40 years as a player / coach) I’ve seen lots of talented players, but for each one that makes something of it there are 10 that don’t and it’s due to largely to lack of technique and mental application that when s**t goes wrong they’ve got nothing to fall back on.

Alternatively I’ve seen plenty with average talent get thru to higher levels because they had good technique and good mental application and worked hard at it.

its because of his average which means nothing at this stage.. needs to maintain it for some time.. Jake Lehmann was averaging 50 early, now averages 33.. people get carried away, his only played 8 games.. few bad games that average would all of a sudden be in the 30s.

3rd ton for the season for McSweeney, and on a bit of a green top that no one else has managed to score much on.
Three 50s in a row, and has converted this one until a tonne. Nice return to form after a scratchy couple of games post-break. If he can continue to produce, then it'll put even more pressure on Labs at #3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some promising signs from the youngsters in the NSW v QLD match today.

Callum Vidler made his debut and took a wicket in his first over, and then another one later.

Kostas batted very well on his way to his first first-class milestone. I wasn't watching for his dismissal so I'm not sure if it was silly batting, his innings was well built but he could probably take some more singles. Today it felt like it was a boundary or nothing.

Ollie Davies is currently 79*(83) keeping up his very good form. He is really becoming an impressive player. His FC average will go above 50 after this innings which is fantastic

EDIT: crow scooped me by a second haha

Really disappointing how far backwards Hunt and Street have gone, especially with our need for future openers. Another dismal showing from Street, and I'm not sure what's going on with Hunt. Made a 50 in his last innings a month ago, but hasn't even played for Kensington since.

Davies has to be have the most "village" batting technique for a bloke with a 1st class average over 50 I've ever seen. Plonk the front foot down the line and slash a cover drive or cut with any width, play straight if on the pads.

After the career of Smith and to a lesser extent, Head, I've given up judging on techinique though, it's a new age. Clearly has an incredible eye and already seems to really understand his own game. Him and McSweeney are worth getting excited about as next in I reckon

Really disappointing how far backwards Hunt and Street have gone, especially with our need for future openers. Another dismal showing from Street, and I'm not sure what's going on with Hunt. Made a 50 in his last innings a month ago, but hasn't even played for Kensington since.
He got badly hurt in a 1 day game a few weeks ago, smashed nose/jaw and is injured still recovering from that.

Davies has to be have the most "village" batting technique for a bloke with a 1st class average over 50 I've ever seen. Plonk the front foot down the line and slash a cover drive or cut with any width, play straight if on the pads.

After the career of Smith and to a lesser extent, Head, I've given up judging on techinique though, it's a new age. Clearly has an incredible eye and already seems to really understand his own game. Him Sand McSweeney are worth getting excited about as next in I reckon
Give up on technique at Test level - you’re asking for trouble - Smith is unique, you can’t or shouldn’t coach it - Head is more about attitude,his technique is still ok, it’s just that he’s way more attacking with his mindset. If Ollie Davies is serious he bats at 4 not 6 or 7 not behind Gilkes & Moises

After the career of Smith and to a lesser extent, Head, I've given up judging on techinique though, it's a new age. Clearly has an incredible eye and already seems to really understand his own game. Him and McSweeney are worth getting excited about as next in I reckon
The most valuable asset is runs.

I really think the technique debate is an overrated one. Temperament is more important imo. Smith, Root, Kohli and Williamson all have different techniques and styles, 2 average over 55 and all over 49. Williamson imo has the most "correct" technique of the 4, and is the worst of the 4 against the best bowling. Smith arguably has the worst, but is the best of the 4 by a mile and in particular against the best bowling in all conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back