• Luke Breust

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ben Stratton

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t the players take a vote? Don’t think it has anything to do with Clarko. That’s certainly my impression, particularly from Sam Mitchell’s book.
Players seem to have stuck to the same process the whole time Clarko has been there, almost as if he has some sort of influence on how things are done at the club.........

I wouldn't be expecting any great deviation from the way we've gone about it. If Smith got the Captaincy you are talking about a player that joined the leadership group leading into finals in 2015, became a VC in 2017 along with Shiels when we started the change of the guard.

You'd think Gunston would have to be VC before being Captain

McEvoy for a year or two before handing it over to Mitchell or JOM. Its usually better to have a midfielder or ruck captain, as they have an easier time getting involved in the game than KPPs, though there are exceptions.

Gunston for me. JOM would be a great leader but hes still relatively new to the team so is still learning about the culture.

Gunners with a leadership group of Shiels Smith JOM Stratts McEvoy and Burto or Worpedo.

I think out of everyone named that there are 3 obvious choices that are popular, Gunston, Shiels & Smith.

The thing for me is that Smith has an edge but it doesn’t look to be all that polished & rather casual.

Gunston always looks to be the prim & proper selection who really wants to be captain... close but no cigar for mine.

Shiels speaks convincingly every time I hear him speak & he along with Gunston have been groomed for the media role of Captain but I just feel that he is vulnerable at the selection table.

My choice that will fill the Rough void for another 2-3 years as captain is McEvoy.
The guy is a warrior!
He absolutely bleeds Brown & gold & would be an outstanding captain.
I think that his reputation has grown along with his career to a place of respect throughout the league as a true competitor who will go when it’s his turn & lead by example.
He speaks well, calm & calculated without the honing of media training that gets droned out every week.. the same old same.
Put the big C next to his name & watch the big fella rise to the occasion & take it upon himself to carry the next gen of stars to a premiership before handing over to the Mitchells & O’meras to take the batten.

In my experience his profile is perfect for a leadership role. He personifies Hawthorn.

Someone should tap him on the shoulder.
He's a leader without needing the title. If he wanted a more official role he'd have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgoyne isn't in the leadership group, don't think he has an interest in the Captaincy

Any idea why he isn't in the leadership group?

You can tell he's just as vocal, if not more, than any other player.

Is it an unspoken thought that Burgoyne doesn't 'need' to be in the leadership group; he's the wise old sensai that guides and teachers the leaders of our club?

The McEvoy thing suggest Hawthorn doesn't gift new players leadership roles until they have served their term.

According to Saints fans, McEvoy was the captain in waiting for St Kilda, but did not even get in our leadership group this year.

JOM will probably suffer from the same situation for a few years.

I like my captains more like Hodge, Selwood, Hurn...

I love Gunners and Smith, but would prefer a captain that can drag us forward when things are not going right, and direct traffic.

I think Jaeger should be the next long term captain. I’m not sure he’s ready for it yet though.

One of Smith or McEvoy for 2 years, then Jaeger.

Personally I’d go McEvoy.

He's a leader without needing the title. If he wanted a more official role he'd have it.

I saw him in one game really have a go at Gunners after Jack took a shot from 50 on the boundary (against either Essendon or Geelong).

Gunners gesticulated - “I’m taking a shot”; Burgers pointed at his chest and two other spots inside 50 where the kick would have been better aimed.

Awesome leadership and he does it every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back