• Luke Breust

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ben Stratton

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want it to be Jack but I think it will be Isaac.

Smith is a VC, he captained when roughy was out of the team and he's at the age where he could captain for a few years then one of our younger types would take over (Jaeger, Worpel, Burton, Shiel)

I agree with you. Would like it to be Jack, but think it will be Izzy. Can see Jack being promoted to a VC role though.

I think Izzy will make a fine captain. He is the type, that isn’t too fussed, seems unfazed and seems to lift with extra responsibility. Which is probably what the young players need, until such time, for Jack to take over, that will probably demand more from the players.

We were blessed to have 2 great leaders in Mitchell and Hodge, but they both had the benefit of Vanderberg.

I agree with you. Would like it to be Jack, but think it will be Izzy. Can see Jack being promoted to a VC role though.

I think Izzy will make a fine captain. He is the type, that isn’t too fussed, seems unfazed and seems to lift with extra responsibility. Which is probably what the young players need, until such time, for Jack to take over, that will probably demand more from the players.

We were blessed to have 2 great leaders in Mitchell and Hodge, but they both had the benefit of Vanderberg.
I may be miss interpreting what you’ve written and I have no idea what each of the possible choices for captain are like within the playing group. But would it be fair to say that Roughy is a leader similar to your description of Smith (laid back just to simplify it a little)? If that’s the case, with how the team has progressed this year wouldn’t it be a good time now to up the ante and go for the style of captain who demands more?

I may be miss interpreting what you’ve written and I have no idea what each of the possible choices for captain are like within the playing group. But would it be fair to say that Roughy is a leader similar to your description of Smith (laid back just to simplify it a little)? If that’s the case, with how the team has progressed this year wouldn’t it be a good time now to up the ante and go for the style of captain who demands more?

I’d say that Rough appears to be approachable, but there is still that toughness in him, I just see Smith being the next captain if Rough does decide to step away this year from the captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if you guys have a general discussion area Abasi?

In any event speaking of Hawthorn captains some of the history bluffs on here might recognise the school boy captain here.

FB_IMG_1536578278368.jpg

On what planet and for what rationale are people continually saying Shiels? Mind boggling to me.

1. Gunston
2. Sicily
3. Hardwick
4. JOM
5. McEvoy
Your best player doesn’t have to be your captain. Captains usually progress through the leadership group with vice captain being the last step before captaincy. Shiels is one of 2 vice captains, Smith being the other 1. He is highly respected by the playing group, bloody hard working, always in the thick of the action, tackles his guts out, puts his head over the ball, sits under high balls, plays his role either offensively or defensively better than anyone, goes about his business with little or no fanfare, is courageous and leads from the front. He is a more natural off field leader than Izzy in terms of presentation and verbal communication. Still fairly young and a perfect leader for this club. Izzy and Gunners to be joint vice captains.

Shiels... No
Gunston...mememe... no
Smith.... goes missing
Breust... injures??? No show
Burgoyne... retire... wow
Rough... played as expected
B.B. banging it out with the AA ruck...
Where is the leadership there???
Really poor night & a straight sets exit for the second time in our last 2 finals.
We aren’t far away but FM... it starts with the captain that shows up every game.
B.B. should be out next humble captain that leads by example

Last edited:
Shiels... No
Gunston...mememe... no
Smith.... goes missing
Breust... injures??? No show
Burgoyne... retire... wow
Rough... played as ecpected
B.B. banging it out with the AA ruck...
Where is the leadership there???
Really poor night & a straight sets exit for the second time in our last 2 finals.
We aren’t far away but FM... it starts with the captain that shows up every game.
B.B. should be out next humble captain that leads by example

Go to bed ffs.

It might be the case this time around that the next captain is the one who can best communicate with the younger group coming through, not so much the sort of captain who is the lead by example hard as nails type. Although Liam Sheils may be the one who ticks both those boxes.

Voted Shiels, as we need a Richie Vandenberg-type captain (minus the cheap shots) right now. Let the likes of Smith, Gunston, and Breust, who all had disappointing finishes to the season, concentrate on their own games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back