• Luke Breust

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ben Stratton

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jack Gunston would be the better move. Articulate, solid character and delivers when needed. Smith his vice.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Noticed Smithy organizing a lot last night, including Gunner.

Gunner seems to do lots of Promotion though

While he won’t have say on the matter I know Jeff Kennett’s view is that the next captain should be someone who was not part of our premiership success who can drive a hungry new group to success. Based on what I’ve seen the last fortnight, I see the merit of this. Our experienced players let us down.

Jaeger and Mitchell are obvious picks of the non premiership players. Not sure Mitchell is the captain type and there is merit to letting Jaeger get another year of full fitness behind him to focus on his own game.

I’d go McEvoy and Jaeger co captains next year with Jaeger to take it on solo within a year or two. Of the experienced blokes, McEvoy was the only one to stand up in finals this year and I reckon he was our standout omfield leader all year.

I’d go McEvoy and Jaeger co captains next year with Jaeger to take it on solo within a year or two. Of the experienced blokes, McEvoy was the only one to stand up in finals this year and I reckon he was our standout omfield leader all year.
As you've mentioned Kennett already, he won't allow the notion of co-captains.

Jaeger and Tom are developing as our midfield core, they are also both 2 years into their time at the club. The last thing either of them needs right now is the captaincy. Let them play their games and let an older head prevail as captain until Tom or Jaeger is ready to take over the reigns in a few years.

Whilst the team did very well to finish fourth it was a disappointing finals series. Too many of our senior players underperformed in both games when we needed them to grab the game(s) by the scruff of the neck. There is nowhere to hide in finals and they expose holes in the list, game plan and leadership. This is no knock on any players but need to look at the team as entering a new era (there is no doubt of that now). As such, I would think that O'Meara is a prime candidate to captain the club. He was the most impressive player against Richmond, took the game on from the first bounce and stood out as the player that could bring others into the game. McEvoy would make a good VC and this would be just a part of some changes that need to take place to give the team a new look and feel. Regardless of how well the team did to finish fourth sh!t gets real when you go out in straight sets (and for the second time in 3 years).

Just bumped into isaac smiths grandma. She told me and my kids that she runs faster than isaac. Granny also mentioned isaac will be married in three weeks.

But i forgot to ask her about the captaincy

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Proof that he doesn't run fast enough.

Just bumped into isaac smiths grandma. She told me and my kids that she runs faster than isaac. Granny also mentioned isaac will be married in three weeks.

But i forgot to ask her about the captaincy

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Faster than Isaac?

Imagine her lining up on the other wing to Scully, with Isaac playing HFF!!!:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a time it's needed, but i think one captain is the best policy.

I feel pretty strongly about this. To me it feels like the times it'd be seen as needed are times of weakness. In my opinion times like that are where strong, empowered leadership are most needed. One captain - pick the best best man then back him to the hilt.

Found this interesting;

“Players will vote for a successor on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis and read out their selections in front of their peers”

Makes everyone really think about their selections - no crap stupid voting when you use this method. Can be a long year if you aren’t comfortable looking someone in the eye after your selections

I really like the player vote method. Not sure about the reading the votes aloud - but Clarko et al are better footy minds than me so let’s run with it.

I think a player vote avoids something like naming an unlikeable campaigner like Goddard as your captain. Granted we are blessed to not have anyone nearly as floggish on our list.

Makes everyone really think about their selections - no crap stupid voting when you use this method. Can be a long year if you aren’t comfortable looking someone in the eye after your selections
Makes ol' 'Mad Eyes Howe' a dead cert, doesn't it?:mad::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back