• Luke Breust

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ben Stratton

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it be merged with the leave Ryan Shoenmakers alone thread?

Damn it Brittany spears is on the radio, I’m going to head butt a wall!

Where's the "Leave Brittany Alone" thread?

It isn't who is best for the role as captain, it is which group of players are best to lead the club. The person who is captain has to go to the toss of the coin and be involved with the media more. But the leadership group is the team the leads the club. Whoever is named captain for Hawthorn this year will have a group of leaders to work with. He may be the person in the media, but the best leader in the club doesn't have to be the person who is captain. We could have someone who is a great media performer to be the face of the club, but have the club leader as a vice captain and have less pressure on him.

Name me another captain who is a media performer per se and not the actual 'club leader'.

There have been some strange decisions over the years from many clubs but the captain is an extremely distinguished role and not taken lightly so don't see our club going with anyone who is not 110% the club leader.
I am not saying don't go for the team leader, however the role of captain of an AFL club involves more than just leading the team out. What happens if the best person for the job of leading the club isn't satisfactory at all the other things that a captain does. Why can't you have the person who leads the club being someone who isn't the captain.

Everyone who is on the club leadership group would be there 110%. The person who is captain does get his name in the record books as captain, but being the teams leader doesn't mean that you have to be the captain. Look at someone like Luke Hodge, he wasn't Hawthorn's captain in 2017 or Brisbane's in 2018, but he would have been leading the players around him.

One of the lines from Seinfeld is that people who rather be in the coffin than giving the speech. This is because people would rather die than give a speech. The person who is captain may present the best face for the club, but he may not be the leader on the field.

I could start naming the names of some current AFL captains that are the captain due to media performance but I don't want to give another club something they can use against the club.

Have it on good authority Titch was about to be announced skipper prior to the leg break...shattering for the bloke. Expect Smith to get it now.
I saw a tweet alert the morning of the injury that suggested something about the next captain, but it was deleted, when I tried to find it. I didn’t even get the source, no idea if it was reputable even. However, it did make me think this

It’s Gunston and it’s obvious. When Titch broke his leg, JOM and gunners were the first to visit. JOM is his roomie and the other person that would visit would be the captain. He has done most press conferences in the past month. It’s him and I know it. The only thing I find strange is the fact the media hasn’t really mentioned him as a candidate above smith, shiels and stratts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s Gunston and it’s obvious. When Titch broke his leg, JOM and gunners were the first to visit. JOM is his roomie and the other person that would visit would be the captain. He has done most press conferences in the past month. It’s him and I know it. The only thing I find strange is the fact the media hasn’t really mentioned him as a candidate above smith, shiels and stratts

Agreed. I had mail last week that it was his.

Should be JOM. The guy is brutal and will take a bunch of games by the scruff of the neck in 2019. He'll get extra attention this year from opposition and rise to it.

Will be one of these guys, in no particular order...

Gunston, Smith, Mitchell, McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels, or Stratton.

If Hardwick was a little older/more experienced then I reckon he might also have been under consideration.

with Gunners announcing the replacement games today, I reckon we have our new Captain.

My thoughts exactly. Gunston's been the one doing the media rounds lately.

Shiels doesn’t want the captaincy ...
I’m pretty sure it will be stratts, if not Gunston, they have more respect from the playing group than smith does .

Had a beer with a premiership assistant coach yesterday, a real lad.. Gunno was the word also, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t him, very surprised.
Latest clip on the hawks Facebook page indicates that it's him too.

Gunston front and center with other senior players, O'meara, wingard, Sicily, bruest, Smith and shiels. Could that be the leadership group?

Only one missing would be stratts but perhaps they are trying to keep more younger players in it.

Latest clip on the hawks Facebook page indicates that it's him too.

Gunston front and center with other senior players, O'meara, wingard, Sicily, bruest, Smith and shiels. Could that be the leadership group?

Only one missing would be stratts but perhaps they are trying to keep more younger players in it.
I doubt Wingard would be in the leadership group.

I think that Facebook clip would just be our most marketable players going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back