NFL Next Head Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Firings:

Jeff Fisher, LA Rams
Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars

Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers
Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills

Other Departures

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints (traded to San Diego)
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals (retires due to health issues)
Gary Kubiack, Denver Broncos (retires due to health issues)

Firings:

Jeff Fisher, LA Rams
Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars

Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers
Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills

Other Departures

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints (traded to San Diego)
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals (retires due to health issues)
Gary Kubiack, Denver Broncos (retires due to health issues)

Kube will hang around for another year, and be shown up yet again as a horrible offensive playcaller.

Zimmer is surely at real risk, as is Lewis.

Most of all Chip Kelly...

Kube will hang around for another year, and be shown up yet again as a horrible offensive playcaller.

Zimmer is surely at real risk, as is Lewis.

Most of all Chip Kelly...
Zim crippled by injuries. The number of injuries the Vikes have had is unreal.

I still think Chip should be gone. But then again,

Working in Kelly’s favor is the reality that the 49ers are currently paying former coach Jim Tomsula not to coach the team and will likely be paying G.M. Trent Baalke not to generally manage the team. At some point, the sheer volume of buyouts can’t be justified.​

What would I know...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...had-no-discussions-with-ownership-about-2017/

Looks like Rexy is on his way out in Buffalo. He's taken a bit of stick for having 10 men on the field during Ajayis big OT run and it's probably pushed his tenure past the point of no return.

Looks like Rexy is on his way out in Buffalo. He's taken a bit of stick for having 10 men on the field during Ajayis big OT run and it's probably pushed his tenure past the point of no return.

Yes that it is ...... as both the Ryan twins have been shown the door at Buffalo .

Buffalo / Rex was for me always a perplexing choice and acceptance by both parties.
They were never suited.

IMO Rex is done as a Head Coach in the AFL ....his big ego was always a millstone.

Even Cleveland would pass on Rex........... Well I hope they would....College Football is his next destination....... as a defensive coordinator.

ESPN reports Bengals coach Marvin Lewis expects to be back for the 2017 season.

Ex-Redskins TE Chris Cooley, now a radio talking head, for some reason started a rumor Lewis was planning to retire after 14 seasons. It's not true, though it doesn't mean Lewis is guaranteed to be back with the Bengals. Lewis is wrapping up the Bengals' first losing campaign since 2010. Infamously, Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs as a head coach, but is probably unfairly maligned. As organizations like the Jaguars and Browns can attest, it's not just hard to find a Bill Belichick, but even a Marvin Lewis.

Source: ESPN.com

Got this right ;)

---------

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci reports "every indication from within One Bills Drive" is that Buffalo has settled on promoting OC Anthony Lynn to head coach in 2017.

According to Carucci, the Bills aren't going to get serious outside interest in the head-coaching post because prospective "big-name" candidates don't want to work with GM Doug Whaley. As the leader of the "search," Whaley's job appears secure, and he will maintain control of the 53-man roster. That won't fly with guys like Josh McDaniels, Jon Gruden, Tom Coughlin, and any other "name" candidate. McDaniels allegedly has interest, but he wants control of the roster. Lynn would be getting his first coaching opportunity, so he'd be in no position to make those demands. He's the heavy favorite in the clubhouse for the full-time gig.

Source: Buffalo News

What about Rex and Rob to head west to the Rams? Rob's flowing grey locks would look good on Venice Beach and the (relatively) newly streamlined Rex would be a smash hit at Muscle Beach.
I really think Rob is done for in the NFL. Maybe a gig as a LB coach. Rex next gig will be DC. Have to prove himself again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think Rob is done for in the NFL. Maybe a gig as a LB coach. Rex next gig will be DC. Have to prove himself again.

Don't know if that will happen

I agree that Rob should be done as a DC at the top level, but this is the NFL which loves to recycle the same coaches over and over again even if its proven that they aren't that good rather than try new things

Don't know if that will happen

I agree that Rob should be done as a DC at the top level, but this is the NFL which loves to recycle the same coaches over and over again even if its proven that they aren't that good rather than try new things
The only person who was willing to hire Rob was Rex....that says everything, no one else would've touched him. Ah, nepotism at its finest. And all Rob did was probably call some plays. Rex's D still.

Rex has shown he's entertaining enough in his press conferences to have the networks keen to sign him up. I'd imagine the coin (and work schedule) to be much more preferable to coaching at a lower level.

I think the feeling was that had the Bills not hired him as a HC that he was going to try and join all those other ex-HCs on various TV panels

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports ex-Giants coach Tom Coughlin is interviewing for the Jaguars' head-coaching vacancy on Wednesday.

Here. We. Go. It's the first head-coaching interview of the "offseason," even though we're still in Week 17. The Jaguars folded up shop after Week 15 when they canned Gus Bradley, and they're getting a jump-start on things. Coughlin, of course, was the first coach in Jaguars' history, leading the team from its 1995 inauguration through the 2002 season. He's since won two Super Bowls with the Giants before getting pushed out the door by the Giants after 2015. Coughlin is now 70 years old and has expressed a desire to return to the sideline. Long known as a hard-nosed coach who stresses discipline, he might be just what these young Jaguars need.
Related: Jaguars

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The New York Daily News' Gary Myers reports Todd Bowles will be back as the Jets' coach in 2017.

It's hard to put the blame squarely on Bowles' shoulders for the Jets' disappointing 4-11 (to this point) season. Ryan Fitzpatrick had an outlier season in 2015, playing the best he ever has in his career that year, and the Jets went all in on him again for 2016 only to see FitzMagic revert to his old ways as a turnover machine. Eric Decker also only played three games before season-ending shoulder and hip surgeries. Bowles' defense also crumbled, but Darrelle Revis took a noticeable hit from Father Time, and DE Muhammad Wilkerson is a year removed from a broken leg. Bowles appears set to get a third year at the helm, but GM Mike Maccagnan is going to have to restock the cupboard and needs to find an answer at quarterback.

Source: New York Daily News

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports ex-Giants coach Tom Coughlin is interviewing for the Jaguars' head-coaching vacancy on Wednesday.

Here. We. Go. It's the first head-coaching interview of the "offseason," even though we're still in Week 17. The Jaguars folded up shop after Week 15 when they canned Gus Bradley, and they're getting a jump-start on things. Coughlin, of course, was the first coach in Jaguars' history, leading the team from its 1995 inauguration through the 2002 season. He's since won two Super Bowls with the Giants before getting pushed out the door by the Giants after 2015. Coughlin is now 70 years old and has expressed a desire to return to the sideline. Long known as a hard-nosed coach who stresses discipline, he might be just what these young Jaguars need.
Related: Jaguars

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
They do say Florida is the US retirement home.

Rex's ego is too big for a DC role. Think he'll go to TV unless the Rams come knocking. Rams should go all out for Payton, Rex won't help Goff / Gurley, Payton will.

Jags players did some really undisciplined acts this season especially on that young D. Coughlin could fix that. I think they need an old head like that. I'd stay clear of Mike Smith.

Marvin Lewis...time to move on ...surely.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports many teams would be interested in Josh McCown as a coach for 2017 if he retires.

Speaking Thursday, Browns coach Hue Jackson called McCown a "rising star" as a coaching prospect, and said he's made of the "right stuff." Speaking to ESPN's Josina Anderson, McCown indicated he's unsure if he'll return for a 16th year as a player in 2017. Speaking to local media, however, McCown said he wanted to continue playing. Going on 38, McCown has grown too fragile to realistically continue his playing career.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back