"Next Monday"

When is "Next Monday"

• Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If I said “I’ll see you Monday” that would assume the 23rd. The ‘next’ is completely redundant.

“I’ll see you next Monday” would make more sense as it implies the Monday after the coming Monday.

Monday - This Monday, the 23rd.
Monday - The next Monday in the series of Mondays. The 30th
Monday
Monday
So if it is May and your birthday is in July.

Would your upcoming birthday be your next birthday or is your next birthday the following year?

I always use ‘this’ to refer to the current week and ‘next’ to refer to the next week (with weeks beginning on a Monday)

I therefore rarely say ‘this Monday’

No, next Monday is the 30th.

Tomorrow is the 23rd.
The next Monday that will be happening is the 23rd.
Next Monday is tomorrow, the Monday after is the 30th.

To save confusion with this type of thing, I always say "Monday of next week", although it's a bit tricky with Mondays, as Sunday is technically first day of the week, so if on Saturday you say "next Monday" it could be ambiguous, so on Sat I would probably say "Monday coming up".

Further to above, if it was a Tuesday and I was referring to 9 days time, I'd say "Thursday of next week", but if it was 2 days time, I'd say "Thursday coming up" or "Thursday of this week".

I've always thought of it as the Monday in the following week. And when I was in reception (prep, foundation) at school, some teacher or peer said that the first day of the week is Sunday, not Monday. I distinctly remember being pissed off at hearing such nonsense. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now. It doesn't make any sense. The traditional working week starts on the first day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you really refer to the coming Monday (on a Sunday) as next Monday and not tomorrow? Wtaf
Oh no, I would have called it tomorrow, but it was still the next Monday at the time.
Now next Monday is the 30th and will remain so until it arrives

I miss the petty BF shitfights, like standing up/sitting down to wipe, or the parma v parmi.
If this was 2013 then this thread would have been 30 pages with posters getting unnecessarily personal and abusive to each other.

Back