Opinion Next out of Demons, Saints, Dockers, Giants, Suns to win a flag?

Who wins a flag first?

• Giants.

• Suns.

• Dockers.

• Demons.

• Saints.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Demons and Saints 50+ years and counting, Dockers, Giants and Suns still to win a flag.

Demons and Saints appear to be building nicely, Demons probably ahead.
Giants in their window, need to win one before the golden generation start disbanding.
Suns have an impressive group of youngsters, keep them together and watch out.
Dockers still look a way off.

Poll included. :freo::goldcoast::gws::melbourne::stkilda:

Saints a possibility this year, but I don't think they have the talent to win a flag in a normal premiership season
Being a life long Saints supporter, starved of success, [it must be penance for a previous life as a Carlton supporter], you might be right, but the group that were seeing this season don't yet know and aren't yet showing, how good they really are. I've seen a few St Kilda teams put together over the years from the 60's to now, and this group have that something special, like the teams St Kilda have put together every 20 years or so. It may even be having a quality coach like Jeans, Stan and even Lyons that produce these "Special "St Kilda teams, but the combination of Ratten and the playing group seem to have that "something" that will bring success this year or thereabouts! Bearing in mind that we Saints supporters notion of success has to be seen relative to their teams history of success. Whether its the ultimate goal, we can only dream!

Last edited:
Giants will still have a few years where they can challenge. Even if they go down the ladder for a year or two I don't think they'll be that far away for too long until all their intial group are hitting that 32 type age which is quite far away.

Its hard to have any faith in the other teams. I do kind of like the Dockers but they have to get it done in the Fyfe/Walters era.

Suns I think are going to struggle to hold their list together long enough to get success. I reckon their success will be 5+ years away minimum and with free agency I think they run the risk of getting picked apart.

Giants will still have a few years where they can challenge. Even if they go down the ladder for a year or two I don't think they'll be that far away for too long until all their intial group are hitting that 32 type age which is quite far away.

Its hard to have any faith in the other teams. I do kind of like the Dockers but they have to get it done in the Fyfe/Walters era.

Suns I think are going to struggle to hold their list together long enough to get success. I reckon their success will be 5+ years away minimum and with free agency I think they run the risk of getting picked apart.
well I am hoping freo plays finals for 2 or 3 years in a row before Walters, Fyfe, Hill, Hamling, conca and Lobb reitres as they are all aged 27/28 years old or over. Hoping they play finals with the guys aged 23 and under before they all retire.

GWS have still got to be regarded as a genuine contender and could win one in the next 3 years. If they don't it could be a long time before they are a genuine challenger again.

Demons, Saints, Dockers - I don't think any of these current lists can win a flag but Saints and Demons are probably just a player or two away from being genuine contenders. Suns - I think they are building a very good best 10 but they drop away dramatically once you get past the cream. Will need a lot more leg ups from the AFL to fill the gaps.

GWS closest.

GWS have still got to be regarded as a genuine contender and could win one in the next 3 years. If they don't it could be a long time before they are a genuine challenger again.

Demons, Saints, Dockers - I don't think any of these current lists can win a flag but Saints and Demons are probably just a player or two away from being genuine contenders. Suns - I think they are building a very good best 10 but they drop away dramatically once you get past the cream. Will need a lot more leg ups from the AFL to fill the gaps.

GWS closest.

I actually don't mind our list...The young mids we've drafted are coming on with young, Henry, Serong and Frederick all looking the goods too...but we can't always have 5-10 of our top 10 plaayers in the medical room. we get no consistency, and the one's left get put under constant pressure.

Luke Ryan playing on Tom Hawkins FFS...he did an amazing job considering but jeez

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don't mind our list...The young mids we've drafted are coming on with young, Henry, Serong and Frederick all looking the goods too...but we can't always have 5-10 of our top 10 plaayers in the medical room. we get no consistency, and the one's left get put under constant pressure.

Luke Ryan playing on Tom Hawkins FFS...he did an amazing job considering but jeez

I think your list has plenty of potential and Freo is still in rebuild I think so likely you will continue to hit the draft hard over next couple of years. But I reckon you have more gaps to fill than any of the other teams listed here. Maybe you guys are in serious contention again in 4 -5 years where I think the others would be looking at next 3 years. Maybe Suns on similar trajectory to Freo.

Demons and Saints 50+ years and counting, Dockers, Giants and Suns still to win a flag.

BUMP!

Demons :heavycheck:

Who's next > Saints, Dockers, Giants, Suns?

I hope for others (non Dees fans) reading this, it gives them some hope. At stages during 2019 and 2020 it was very low for a dees supporter after thinking we were close in 2018. Progression doesn't always occur in a linear fashion and sometimes you're closer than your performances indicate.

BUMP!

Demons :heavycheck:

Who's next > Saints, Dockers, Giants, Suns?
I didn’t get my prediction correct last time with the Giants. Of the remaining teams, I think the Dockers get there relatively soon. Have all the pieces, just need to put it together consistently and have the group mature a little more.

Freo in 2025 is my guess, though I’m not entirely sold on JL just yet. I had my doubts about Goodwin too but neither of them panics which is the good thing. Backline is stacked, midfield coming good, a great and a good young ruck apiece and the forwardline is finally functional with Amiss developing in the wings. If they can trade out a defender like Logue who is good but keeps losing his spot for a small forward to keep the ball in the F50 then the list looks pretty crazy.

Freo in 2025 is my guess, though I’m not entirely sold on JL just yet. I had my doubts about Goodwin too but neither of them panics which is the good thing. Backline is stacked, midfield coming good, a great and a good young ruck apiece and the forwardline is finally functional with Amiss developing in the wings. If they can trade out a defender like Logue who is good but keeps losing his spot for a small forward to keep the ball in the F50 then the list looks pretty crazy.
How the hell would you know?

What makes you think freo will ever win a flag?

They are very likely have to beat a tenant at the MCG to win it too

Back