Bec Miller
Gabby Seymour
Tessa Lavey
Maddy Brancatisano
Jess Hosking
Poppy Kelly
Maddie Shevlin

okay i'll explain it to you this way

the CBA only applied to and then ran out in the above season, then every player was out of a signed contract

the club asked and were supported by the above players to agree to another year on top of the 1st contract, as only a show of faith between the two parties
it was only a "handshake" type agreement

as the CBA hadn't been agreed in writing by the AFL & AFLPA, our club and the above players would sign the extra 1 year, when the CBA had been finalised

now that the CBA has been finalised, the above players and the rest of our list will be signed up to the August season
this new CBA runs out at the end of this coming season, so again if our girls are asked and want to, they can commit in principle to a 2 year contract

when the new CBA is approved by the AFL & AFLPA for future seasons, our players can sign 1 or 2 year contracts which ever is offered by the club

so while your points are valid, they only apply if there is an actual written and signed contract, which in fact there wasn't after the end of last season
every player in the AFLW is uncontracted ATM
A verbal agreement has the same meaning as a written contract. If they agreed to stay even on the basis of a handshake agreement then they were in effect contracted. Hence if the AFL tries to induce them to break that contract they are on thin ice.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
i think the moral of the story that was missed by a few was that the Richmond program is one that our team is way invested in and one that attracts players and further we have deals in place with our best players that other VIC clubs save for ESS simply aren't offering. so the nonsense and scaremongering was at best trolling at worst just laughable

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
i think the moral of the story that was missed by a few was that the Richmond program is one that our team is way invested in and one that attracts players and further we have deals in place with our best players that other VIC clubs save for ESS simply aren't offering. so the nonsense and scaremongering was at best trolling at worst just laughable

Monique Conti best summed it up in her acceptance speech after winning her 3rd B&F in a row

"That's one thing that I love, that family bond and sisterhood that we all share together."

and Gabby Seymour in her acceptance speech

"It really is a Richmond family."

the common, most important words that our players have forever between each other is LOVE and RESPECT

Tortured Tiger

Senior List
Dec 26, 2004
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Spurs
I'm as invested as anyone, however, unlike some others inc yourself I'm not a pom pom waving cheerleader that thinks the club can do no wrong. They've made some terrible decisions in setting up our AFLW team. In combination they are enough that they should have been moved on. Example 1 of many we just gave up our 1st round draft pick and a likely star for a player we could have prelisted for free.

Don't pretend otherwise SJ the room for improvement in all aspects of this team is still significant and I'm happy to hold them accountable if others aren't.
I guess you can either accept that mistakes will happen when establishing a program like this or you can carry on like a pork chop. However that doesn't change history and won't change anything now. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful gift that the decision makers don't have. Your negative posting won't change a thing but if it makes you feel better then that's great.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond trade Pick 52 to Hawthorn for Pick 59 and Pick 62

we now have Picks 38, 52, 62 (and 86 if we want)
My only take from that is that we’re turning the list over , I wonder with higher $$ that interstate players may be more inclined to want to play in vic ,,sanfl has full on W program,a good pool of prospects that until now had only 1 team . I don’t hold much hope that these late picks will amount too much , fingers crossed 🤞

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
My only take from that is that we’re turning the list over , I wonder with higher $$ that interstate players may be more inclined to want to play in vic ,,sanfl has full on W program,a good pool of prospects that until now had only 1 team . I don’t hold much hope that these late picks will amount too much , fingers crossed 🤞

yes turning over our list
Williams = Bernardi
Egan = Dargan (overtakes Molan, Jacques, Burchell ACL)
Graham = McLaren, Chuot (cover Cordner ACL)
Lynch = Sansonetti (upgrade on Ross)

yeah lucky dip time at those picks

Vic pick 21 (38) we'd be looking at some like, Felicity Crank, Taylah Gatt and J'Noemi Anderson all mids, serviceable but nothing flash

with Vic picks 32 (59) and 33 (62), would like us to look at some KPFwd's to develop, Amelie Smith, Sophia McCarthy, Emily Everist or Analea McKee
this season might just be the last for Wakefield :(

not sure there is any good VFLW players left, all been picked up by the 4 new sides

yes maybe also look at a interstate undrafted player we can pick up as a free agent (probably SA as the other states are very thin on decent types)

i'll start a draft thread when the trade period is over and the draft order is confirmed :)

Last edited:

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
She’ll be a tier one player at the Hawks so no way we could have found the cash to get her to us

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
She’ll be a tier one player at the Hawks so no way we could have found the cash to get her to us

we could've found the cash but we wouldn't have been able to put her on tier 1 (like Hawks)
tier 3 at best and cash for outside perks to = close to hawks package

but we just weren't that into here, would rather keep the status quo with what we've got
we've all got a good idea who our best 14 players are

compare that to the best 14 players that the Hawks have

we could've found the cash but we wouldn't have been able to put her on tier 1 (like Hawks)
tier 3 at best and cash for outside perks to = close to hawks package

but we just weren't that into here, would rather keep the status quo with what we've got
we've all got a good idea who our best 14 players are

compare that to the best 14 players that the Hawks have
So who are their Tier 1 and Tier 2 players so far do you think?

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
well it's
tier 1 2 players ($71,935)
tier 2 6 players ($55,559)
tier 3 6 players ($47,372)
tier 4 16 players ($39,184)
all these amounts are paid by the AFL, not the clubs

what's your point exactly ?

When I mentioned McKenzie would be a target for the Hawks as they were able to offer her Tier 1 contract next year because Brennan and Conti are our Tier 1 players you said it was irrelevant - its clearly not.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
When I mentioned McKenzie would be a target for the Hawks as they were able to offer her Tier 1 contract next year because Brennan and Conti are our Tier 1 players you said it was irrelevant - its clearly not.

i'll requote myself from the post i made a few before this one

"we could've found the cash but we wouldn't have been able to put her on tier 1 (like Hawks)
tier 3 at best and cash for outside perks to = close to hawks package"

anyway the diff in tier 1 and tier 2 = 16k, hardly earth shattering for McKenzie with her other perks

there's been countless posts been written about player payment packages, can't be bothered going through that again and again

Last edited:

I think you can interpret Stanley as suggesting the Tier levels are more badges of honour rather than the cash that is received. It would not surprise me if this was the case for a good 33% of players or so......

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

at a educated guess

tier 1
Monique Conti
Katie Brennan

tier 2
Ellie McKenzie
Rebecca Miller
Sarah Hosking
Jess Hosking
Sarah D’Arcy
Gabrielle Seymour

tier 3
Harriet Cordner
Tessa Lavey
Grace Egan
Maddie Shevlin
Maddy Brancatisano
Courtney Wakefield

tier 4
the rest

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
at a educated guess

tier 1
Monique Conti
Katie Brennan

tier 2
Ellie McKenzie
Rebecca Miller
Sarah Hosking
Jess Hosking
Sarah D’Arcy
Gabrielle Seymour

tier 3
Harriet Cordner
Tessa Lavey
Grace Egan
Maddie Shevlin
Maddy Brancatisano
Courtney Wakefield

tier 4
the rest

Harriet Cordner is definitely Tier 2 and I would guess Egan is also now.

Seymour I expect is Tier 3 as is D'Arcy

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Hawks
tier 1
Kaitlyn Ashmore
Matilda Lucas-Rodd

tier 2
Aileen Gilroy
Sarah Perkins
Louise Stephenson
Jess Duffin
Janet Baird
pick 1 (Montana Ham)

compare with our list (few posts up), this looks really bad

Essendon
tier 1
Madison Prespakis
Bonnie Toogood

tier 2
Georgia Gee
Stephanie Cain
Sophie Alexander
Daria Bannister
Sophie Van De Heuvel
Catherine Phillips

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you can interpret Stanley as suggesting the Tier levels are more badges of honour rather than the cash that is received. It would not surprise me if this was the case for a good 33% of players or so......

How many players have actually left a club over tier payment ?
I suspect it's tiny, especially compared to the outside-the-cap payments and career opportunities, which is how they can make a serious difference in money and start setting their lives up for the future.

Back