next ten years

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's smart and certainly strategic to look ahead 10 years, something I wish the club would actually commit to publicly and be ambitious as Richmond did with their 'Winning Together' plan in 2010 or even what Hawthorn have done with their 2050 vision. What does that look like based on Freos market share, location etc I would hope that the strategic goals over the next 10 years are along the lines of:

Membership of 80 000, 2 AFL Premiership's, 2 AFLW Premierships and becoming an industry leader in staff/player development.

The days of qualified success, excuses and just being happy surviving can no longer be tolerated as a part of our identity, we must now pursue success unconditionally.

Are we any show of a flag during Fyfe’s career?
Hate to say it but we are close to the point where trading him for assets is the smart move. Let him win a flag somewhere.

Preseason optimism can’t come soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can turn quickly but my gut feeling was always that Fyfe and Sonny wouldn't see a flag unless it was in the twilight of their careers. The good thing about both of them is they would make dangerous permanent forwards later in their careers.

I think we haven't been patient enough with our list management and we are short of talent for a push in the early 2020s. Especially given how many injury prone players we have. I 100% would have passed on Hogan and taken King, even with the go home for this exact reason.

Assuming the next coach isn't a dud, we'll play finals in the next 2-3 seasons, but I reckon it wont be until 2022ish before we flourish and our window will be short given the age profile of some of the key players by then.

I reckon our list is at least on par with West Coast 2014. They got Simpson in and played in a GF in 2015.

We beat 4 top 6 sides this year and are a good contested ball team. We get slayed on the turnover because our main ball carriers turn the ball over by foot more than the AFL average. Both of our main ball carriers are expected to leave during the trade period and if we trade in some good ball users to replace them I don’t think this will be as big a loss as people think.

A new CEO and head coach will be able to work together to set high standards and a culture of professionalism without the risk of one resisting change, which is possible if one of the coach or CEO is replaced.

All things considered I’m quite optimistic about the next few years.

I reckon our list is at least on par with West Coast 2014. They got Simpson in and played in a GF in 2015.

We beat 4 top 6 sides this year and are a good contested ball team. We get slayed on the turnover because our main ball carriers turn the ball over by foot more than the AFL average. Both of our main ball carriers are expected to leave during the trade period and if we trade in some good ball users to replace them I don’t think this will be as big a loss as people think.

A new CEO and head coach will be able to work together to set high standards and a culture of professionalism without the risk of one resisting change, which is possible if one of the coach or CEO is replaced.

All things considered I’m quite optimistic about the next few years.
Same.

Depth remains the real problem but we have a great spine in the right age bracket, 2 A-graders in Fyfe and Walters, and genuine support.

The back 5 or 6 is in good shape. The forward line has more potential than a Czech student party.

The midfield is our weakness and I don’t want to sound completely doolally, but the midfielder problem gets fixed with three or four players. Two of those players are Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw.

Same.

Depth remains the real problem but we have a great spine in the right age bracket, 2 A-graders in Fyfe and Walters, and genuine support.

The back 5 or 6 is in good shape. The forward line has more potential than a Czech student party.

The midfield is our weakness and I don’t want to sound completely doolally, but the midfielder problem gets fixed with three or four players. Two of those players are Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw.

It runs a bit deeper than personnel IMO. The midfield don’t know how to work together to create space. Some of that is leg speed. Some of that is coaching. A lot of teams kill us by playing draw and pass. They draw our players in and handball before we can affect the play. Our players sitting outside the contest are too slow to react / ball watching or don’t trust the tackler to complete the task, therefore are running in to lend a hand. How many times have you said in your head ‘don’t get sucked into the ball’ and bam the ball is being Waltzed out of the midfield. The connection and space creating plays in our midfield needs to improve dramatically.

It runs a bit deeper than personnel IMO. The midfield don’t know how to work together to create space. Some of that is leg speed. Some of that is coaching. A lot of teams kill us by playing draw and pass. They draw our players in and handball before we can affect the play. Our players sitting outside the contest are too slow to react / ball watching or don’t trust the tackler to complete the task, therefore are running in to lend a hand. How many times have you said in your head ‘don’t get sucked into the ball’ and bam the ball is being Waltzed out of the midfield. The connection and space creating plays in our midfield needs to improve dramatically.
Oh yeah. We are too focussed on the ball and when we do get it out our balance is all wrong. Plus our outlet play is way too predictable. How many times did we go one handball too many and - “Oh wow, where did he come from?” - have some dude wander away with our pill.

Geez, there's ten more years of footy ahead?

So hard to predict how the game will change, both Gawn and Grundy were written off years ago, yet dominate in today's game.

Will we see the era of ultra speedy -171 cm players with minimal contact allowed, or does it go like the modern NBA and everyone is hulking 195cm + players?

Just the basic issue of whether there will still be 18 teams in 10 years is hard to predict.

That said, I know from being in the Vic cheer squad in the early Freo years, having to try to drum up support at Vic Park, Morrabin and Waverley, and now seeing the list waiting to join the Freo Vic cheer squad, how much things can change for our club in just a couple of decades.

I'm really proud of how we've battled as a club that got no legs up when we joined (especially -vs- GC and GWS concessions), and how professional and structured we are now compared to the late 90s / early 2000s.

I'm grateful for everything this club has given me in the first 25 years, and I just hope I last long enough health wise to see out the next ten.

Every year, every winter, every week, win or lose, I love Freo footy more than just about any other part of my week (apart from family time).

Just goodness me, please no Suma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back