• Hugo

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • None

Votes: 19 22.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That was 2019. He kicked a critical goal in the 2020 GF when we desperately needed it. His misses in 2019 were irrelevant as we were a mile in front. He was trying to kick a goal……. When it was over. Big deal.

I’ve potted Castagna but this bullshite.
It's not irrelevant. He lost us many games because he wouldn't hand the ball off to someone in a better position.
Contrast that with Jack Riewoldt and Dustin who always hand it off.
It was like he was always trying to prove that he was a competant goal kicker and that he thought that one day it would all click and he would become one.
He never acknowleged his limitations. His job was to use his speed to tackle , to go for a run with his pace and then to give the ball to someone else to kick the goal.
If he had of been less selfish, and understood his limitations, he would have been remembered more fondly.

FFS, your comparing capability of an honest trier with two legends of RFC

Is there no place for good players just to be?

Those hankering for the next ‘whipping boy’ have priorities totally stuffed and should seek therapy IMO…

It's not irrelevant. He lost us many games because he wouldn't hand the ball off to someone in a better position.
Contrast that with Jack Riewoldt and Dustin who always hand it off.
It was like he was always trying to prove that he was a competant goal kicker and that he thought that one day it would all click and he would become one.
He never acknowleged his limitations. His job was to use his speed to tackle , to go for a run with his pace and then to give the ball to someone else to kick the goal.
If he had of been less selfish, and understood his limitations, he would have been remembered more fondly.
How do you know what his job was? You didn’t even get the right GF. Also what games did he cost us because he didn’t hand it off? Poor shots cost us once or twice. I’ve potted him for his poor skills by hand and Foot, Also was not upset by his retirement. I think if you want to keep slagging him you should at least get your facts right. He kicked a goal in the 2017 GF + 2019 prelim + 2020 GF that were all crucial. I agree we have way better options now but there is no need to hammer a guy who gave us the best he had and is now retired.

Last edited:

How do you know what his job was? You didn’t even get the right GF. Also what games did he cost us because he didn’t hand it off? Poor shots cost us once or twice. I’ve potted him for his poor skills by hand and Foot, Also was not upset by his retirement. I think if you want to keep slagging him you should at least get your facts right. He kicked a goal in the 2017 GF + 2019 prelim + 2020 GF that were all crucial. I agree we have way better options now but there is no need to hammer a guy who gave us the best he had and is now retired.
Look at the thread title and you're telling me not to criticize a player.

The bloke lost his love for playing footy at 26 years old and you don't think, copping constant criticism about his performances, often from Richmond supporters, even when playing well had anything to do with it.

Can confirm.
Spoke with a previous whipping boy about this very topic. It affects them.

Constantly missing easy shots is what loses you games.
If constantly missing easy shots means a player is a dud, Richo must be the biggest dud to ever pull on a Richmond jumper.

But your premise is that missing easy goals which costs the team games is part of the reason why Castagna was a dud.
Richo kicked 800 goals and didn't miss almost every shot from more than 20m out like Jason.
I can't recall Richo choking as much as Jason.
Don't put the great Richo in Jason's category please.

Balta makes Georgesque in game decisions, without George to top him, his stocks will rise in the Whipping Boy Stakes.

Ol' mate Magic will bang on 'bout Hopper, but predicting there will be strong interest in Jack Graham in his last contracted year. Shorter odds in the WBS for JG vs JH.

Balta makes Georgesque in game decisions, without George to top him, his stocks will rise in the Whipping Boy Stakes.

Ol' mate Magic will bang on 'bout Hopper, but predicting there will be strong interest in Jack Graham in his last contracted year. Shorter odds in the WBS for JG vs JH.
Forgot JG existed lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the thread title and you're telling me not to criticize a player.
I’m okay with your criticism for that’s what this threads about but you are making statements about his selfishness in games costing us and have nothing to back it up. What games did his selfishness cost us? His poor kicking yes. Never saw him as selfish. You already condemned him for his 5 points in the GF but got the wrong GF. He didn’t cost us that game!

Cotchin.

Might seem harsh. Might seem downright disrespectful, given he captained us to three premierships but if Cotch takes the spot of Cumberland and then struggles to kick a goal in the forwardline, Cotch will become the new whipping boy.

Other than him: Short, MRJ or even Tarrant could become the new whipping boy if they under-perform.

daniel rioli

absolute battler

Back