Meltdown NFC East - Cantankerous Bastards Getting a Room ©

Remove this Banner Ad

No matter how good your O Line is you are still going to get sacked especially on power blitzes etc as you cannot block everyone.

It only takes 1 sack to to injure a bloke and no QB in the league is immune from it.

Prescott did throw the ball well but it is 1 pre season game against 3rd string defenders, what I like the most is his legs and he is very mobile but hopefully we don't need him as he gets a full season to learn the ropes on the sideline.

Good post. Well balanced.

IMO, that's why you need a QB who's 'durable'. For whatever reason, some QBs are more likely to play the full 16 than others.

Romo's not really someone you could be confident in, but I'm not going to point fingers. The wind behind a chip kelly play calling sign card is enough to injure Bradford it seems at times.

Good post. Well balanced.

IMO, that's why you need a QB who's 'durable'. For whatever reason, some QBs are more likely to play the full 16 than others.

Romo's not really someone you could be confident in, but I'm not going to point fingers. The wind behind a chip kelly play calling sign card is enough to injure Bradford it seems at times.

Yep and so much of it is hindsight regarding discussion after a bloke gets injured. I agree our depth behind Romo has been terrible over the years but i reckon we may have a good one now but who knows and i hate lauding players future guns etc as so much can happen let alone after 1 BS Pre Season game but on what i saw i am more confident having Dak 2nd up behind Romo than Kellen and that is the honest truth.

The future will tell us more and arguing about when Romo goes down and how good Dak will be is rubbish and all crystal ball stuff with Internet bravado thrown in.

Romo could play the whole season and who knows what will happen but i reckon our defense should be the talking point as it is terrible on all fronts which will lead to misery IMO unless we can unearth a star but i doubt this, our offense will need to score 34+pts a game to be winning IMO.

8-9 wins will win the division as per usual!

And might i comment that the inverse is true for the Eagles.

It's quite possible that our offense will be a dumpster fire. At the same time, our D is likely (IMO) to be amongst the leagues best, and will carry us to wins against some lesser opponents.

I'm using stats that have occurred over the 10 year career of a player whereas you are making a guess based on the stats of other players careers

In this situation you can't judge someone based on what others have done, only by what they have done
Well 32 professional teams saw what he had done, and they all passed on him 3 times. I am not going to pretend I know more than them. Name me 2 rookie qbs drafted after pick 32 that have had winning records in their first season when they started more than 8 games.

It was last year. Who says it won't this year?

Any credible assessment of the talent level in the defence (which has not substantially improved) weighed against injuries and suspensions?

I'd say the worst in the division, but there's some serious competition from both giants and redskins.
Just curious, what did the Eagles do to make them go from one of the worst D's in the league to one of the best D's in the league this season? (not saying it won't just curious

Just curious, what did the Eagles do to make them go from one of the worst D's in the league to one of the best D's in the league this season? (not saying it won't just curious

Fire Chip Kelly so the defense is on the field for less than 45 minutes each game?

Well 32 professional teams saw what he had done, and they all passed on him 3 times. I am not going to pretend I know more than them. Name me 2 rookie qbs drafted after pick 32 that have had winning records in their first season when they started more than 8 games.
I think you'd be surprised at how incompetent some front offices are.

And why would there be 32 teams vying for a QB? It's not like I'm saying he's a future HOFer

Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton both were picked after pick 32 and had winning records in their first season, starting more than 8 games

I'm sure this is a genuine question, but surely your lack of knowledge should give you some pause as to the value of your opinion? Surely?

We:

1. Signed a number of potential impact free agents to full positions of need, in McLeod, Badham, McKelvin, Brooks. McLeod in particular will form what is arguably the best safety combination in the league outside of Seattle with Jenkins.

2. Changed from a 3-4 two gapping scheme that didnt utilise the skill sets of our best players to a 4-3 scheme which enables our talent to play to their strengths, and in particular allows Fletcher Cox, one of the leagues premier defensive talents, to play to his strengths as a pass rushing DT. Note that he was an impact pass rusher as a two gapping DE. That's crazy. The scheme change allows Vinny Curry and Brandon Graham to play to their strengths as pass rushing 4-3 DEs as opposed to their unnatural forcing into linebacker and 3-4 DE respectively.

3. Will return Jordan Hicks to MLB after his recovery from season ending injury. Our defense was statistically decent up until he went out, when it became a less.

4. Moved on Billy Davis, a coordinator who hasnt really seen success in the league and replaced him with one of the leagues more highly regarded defensive coaches in Jim Schwartz who runs a scheme tailor made for the talent on our roster.

5. Perhaps most importantly, got rid of Chip Kelly's machine gun speed 3 and out offense, which exposed our defence to plays at a rate which amounted to the equivalent of a number of extra games played for the defence over the course of the season. This in particular was a large factor in why our D wore down as the years proceeded in the last few seasons. It's not just fatigue either- a 3-4 scheme is based on deception. Disguising schemes, blitzes etc. Theres really only so many things you can do as a defense though, only so many looks or blitzes that you can run in any given season. The effectiveness of each will reduce the more often you run them. The law of diminishing returns.

Those factors, in combination, give me great confidence that our defence will be the strength of our team, and one of the leagues better ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure this is a genuine question, but surely your lack of knowledge should give you some pause as to the value of your opinion? Surely?
Sorry I thought we were all just make assumptions here

You know,

Romo will get injured

A rookie can't win 5 games

Eagles D will be s**t

etc.

reasonable conlcusions

In what way is Romo being injured for the season a reasonable conclusion when it's happened 2/10 times?

So, in your view a sensible analysis of the likelihood of injury in impact sports does not consider previous injury history, or age?

The first two are reasoned conclusions that can be drawn from a proper analysis.

The third is your usual level of tripe.

You make yourself out to be some sort of scholar but really you just come across as the comic book guy.

It's not just fatigue either- a 3-4 scheme is based on deception. Disguising schemes, blitzes etc.

the 3-4 is not about this. but when you say this it makes it obvious that you have nfi how offenses or defenses work and why they work.

So, in your view a sensible analysis of the likelihood of injury in impact sports does not consider previous injury history, or age?
In my view, making a prediction based on the fact that someone will get injured for a significant amount of time isn't a smart thing to do, especially when there's a low likelihood of that injury occurring

The defense was not that bad, it was just very inconsistent. After Hicks went down our run defense was bad, hopefully he comes back as he was on the way to D ROY honours if he stayed healthy. Davis to Schwartz is a big upgrade imo (fwiw Davis has not been picked up by another team), we are still bad at the cornerback spot. The move from 3-4 to 4-3 is overrated imo as you spend alot of the game in nickel alot and and some guys really flourished in the 3-4 (logan, barwin and Jenkins).

You make yourself out to be some sort of scholar but really you just come across as the comic book guy.

What a load of crap.

Gee i have had many arguments/stoushes etc with STO over the best part of 5+ years and he can be a right pain in the arse at times but his posting is 10x anything you contribute and he has 50x the knowledge you possess on these boards.

Your comments are seen as trolls by all and sundry and very biased and uneducated yet you label STO as the comic book type? Spare me this level of ineptitude and self proclaimed morality as you are not fit to even pick STO's shoes up yet let alone qualify to fasten a shoelace regarding posting quality.

the 3-4 is not about this. but when you say this it makes it obvious that you have nfi how offenses or defenses work and why they work.

I could go tit for tat with you, and point out that you've produced almost nothing of any value in the entirety of your time on the board, but i don't really feel that way today.

It's more satisfying really to understand the reality, that you still, to this day an entire off season after we dumped him, have a borderline breakdown when faced with commentary which is critical of Chip Kelly in any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back