Meltdown NFC East - Cantankerous Bastards Getting a Room ©

Remove this Banner Ad

The market always goes up for QBs, and the cap keeps increasing.

Look at the money that guys like Flacco and Romo have been on.

Is deserved though for franchise QB's and they earned their paychecks but Oz Crap milked the Cow and burnt the Texans big time who were to quick to flash the cash without doing their homework properly and he was not that impressive at the Broncos at all.

We just got unlucky ( Romo injured ) than extremely lucky ( hitting Dak in the draft ) as no QB is destined to play well in the NFL no matter where they are drafted.

If your view is that your team is willing to pay more than Cousins was actually seeking, why would the deal not have been done?

Huh? Read again.

Team was offering Cousins between 16-18m AAV before the 2016 season. Cousins wanted 19-20m AAV. They tagged him.

Team is now likely to offer Cousins between 21-22m AAV before the 2017 season. Whether or not Cousins accepts that is up to him, I suppose.

Huh? Read again.

Team was offering Cousins between 16-18m AAV before the 2016 season. Cousins wanted 19-20m AAV. They tagged him.

Team is now likely to offer Cousins between 21-22m AAV before the 2017 season. Whether or not Cousins accepts that is up to him, I suppose.

Yeah sure. Ultimately what you're suggesting is now greater in value than what he was seeking last year, though it is a different year.

If what i read is correct, I can't see that Cousins would accept less than the tag value for this season. He said give me the average of the cap over two.

They decided to save on the first year by only paying the actual tag value, which was lower. In that circumstance, were you him, you'd almost feel bound to demand the tag value for this year, otherwise you'd have been stiffed.

Of course the value of long term security will appeal to some degree, but there's a difficulty with treating your quarterback like that in negotiations: they have memories. The prisoner's dilemma plays more than one round.

Aug 3, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Yeah sure. Ultimately what you're suggesting is now greater in value than what he was seeking last year, though it is a different year.

If what i read is correct, I can't see that Cousins would accept less than the tag value for this season. He said give me the average of the cap over two.

They decided to save on the first year by only paying the actual tag value, which was lower. In that circumstance, were you him, you'd almost feel bound to demand the tag value for this year, otherwise you'd have been stiffed.

Of course the value of long term security will appeal to some degree, but there's a difficulty with treating your quarterback like that in negotiations: they have memories. The prisoner's dilemma plays more than one round.
You maybe a wordsmith, but your understanding of negotiations is not very good. Cousins would be beyond stupid to ask for a multiyear contract that is equivalent to the value of the franchise tag because the team can just slap him with the franchise tag and have no long term commitment.

If you want to predict how much Cousins will get, its safe to look at recent contracts for good qbs (its fair to call him good, he almost got 5k yards this season). I would assume Brock and Bradford contracts maybe used as some sort of baseline.

Oz Crap and the Texans have totally screwed the QB market from here on in!

The Ravens screwed the QB market years before the Texans did.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
You maybe a wordsmith, but your understanding of negotiations is not very good. Cousins would be beyond stupid to ask for a multiyear contract that is equivalent to the value of the franchise tag because the team can just slap him with the franchise tag and have no long term commitment.

If you want to predict how much Cousins will get, its safe to look at recent contracts for good qbs (its fair to call him good, he almost got 5k yards this season). I would assume Brock and Bradford contracts maybe used as some sort of baseline.
Its why I asked a genuine question. Its not trying to be clever but to gauge ideas.

Osweiler contract , as posted, is $72million over 4 years with sign-ons and guarantees. I think KC would be looking at long term so a similar contract ie $75million over 4 plus sign-ons and guarantees. That's the starting point.

I love your intermittent attempts to talk up your particular nous. Sure, it fizzles out as quickly as a Tony Romo playoff run, but it's always entertaining. I don't need to get into a dick measuring contest with respect to my negotiation skills with the likes of you.

But let's not act like there's any real rules to the deal that you can accept or not. Different people will make different decisions based upon their particular comfort with risk. Cousins has shown so sign he fears the risk of injury across a one year contract. With that being the case, the worst that he can do is 24 million next year. Why would he discount that for a team that needs the long term deal more than he values it?

This is what I mean about the prisoner's dilemma not being a one round game, and why I think Washington screwed up last year. The difficulty here is the guy might well think that they owe him that money by stiffing him last year. That could be an impediment.

Cousins baseline is probably more like 85/4 than 75

I wouldnt think there's any way that he'll come back for under 20 a season. He's not taking a practical pay cut. There are 12 QBs in the league who (in the remaining time on their contracts) will earn above 20mil per year.

Given the cap increases etc. I'd think he'd be aiming for more. This isnt Brock Osweiller. He's had two good seasons and passed for near on 5k yards this year.

We spoke earlier about Wilson's contact, but what skewed that deal was it was an extension which factored in the last year of his rookie deal.

Thread starting to deliver again.
popcorn-stuffing.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure a couple in the Skins thread also said he wasn't worth 20m.

Reckon there will be a very divided fan base if he gets brought back, especially at a pretty solid price

Remove this Banner Ad

Back