NFL NFL - Black Monday (GM and Coach Hirings and Firings)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeffrey Lurie: Jon Gruden made it clear he won’t coach this year

jon-gruden-november-2012-620x419.jpg

There was talk this offseason that Jon Gruden could be lured to return to coaching with the Eagles. But Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie says that talk didn’t come from Gruden himself.

In fact, Lurie said today that when he reached out to Gruden, Gruden told him in no uncertain terms that he will remain ESPN’s Monday Night Football color commentator in 2013 and will not be a head coach.

“Jon made it clear that he was not coming back to the NFL this year,” Lurie said.

But while Lurie did not interview Gruden for the team’s head coaching vacancy, he did pick Gruden’s brain: Lurie confirmed that he asked Gruden’s opinion about Chip Kelly, and that Gruden told him he had attended an Oregon practice and came away impressed with the way Kelly runs his team.

Some day, Gruden may coach against Kelly in the NFL. But that day will not be in 2013. Gruden is staying in the booth.

Jaguars
Bears
Chargers
Chiefs
Bills
Have all put together excellent coaching staffs and GM hires.

Raiders (stink)
Panthers (stink)
Titans (stink)
Browns (mediocre)
Cardinals (so-so)
Eagles (still too early)
Jets (mediocre)

=======

Jaguars and Bears imo a team to watch 2013 and onwards.

AFC West getting harder and harder every year…Raiders fell way behind in 2012, falling further behind after seeing what the Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos have put together. We’re fvcked.

People say this every year and s**t backfires. I'm quietly happy with how the Jets have gone about it this year, not 100% convinced on Mornhinweg as OC, but it's very different at least. If we were any team but the Jets there wouldn't be the media jumping all over us. Cimini and Mehta can go * themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Just curious GG, I'm aware of Trestman's history with QBs but why do you consider the signing of a CFL coach a good signing? Been out of NFL for a while and never stayed in one spot too long. He may turn out to be great but to me quite a surprise.

Also surprised Eagles have gone for a guy with zero NFL experience.

Raiders hire Greg Olson as OC.

For my thoughts on this, see the Black Hole thread. Plenty of Grr. Predicted it a day ago too on ibabuzz.

My other prediction...

Watch for eagles and raiders to swap Foles and Pryor. With Pryor tearing up the NFL.

Pryor to Eagles
Foles to Raiders
DHB and Ford to Browns for a player or picks
Joeckel who the Raiders will try to draft hoping Chiefs/Jaguars dont beat them to him, otherwise they’ll trade down, collect picks, and still look to bolster the OL priority #1. At least with Reggie as GM he’ll understand to play 7 step drop football he needs a killer OL, Al wasted too many years not doing that.

People say this every year and s**t backfires. I'm quietly happy with how the Jets have gone about it this year, not 100% convinced on Mornhinweg as OC, but it's very different at least. If we were any team but the Jets there wouldn't be the media jumping all over us. Cimini and Mehta can go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned.

I know a Seattle supporter who is sad to see Idzik go to the Jets. I'm also not convinced on hiring Mornhinweg, but a lot will depend on what Idzik and the Jets do in free agency and the draft to build the offence to support Sanchez or whoever it is under centre.

Has there ever been that many sweeping changes in coaching ranks across the league? (before SB arrives)
I've lost count already how many shuffling of sideline generals have been appointed.
My eyebrow has kinked with seeing the scrapper selection appointments the Raiders have made.... :confused:
Would top it off if they got Todd Haley onboard. I can't stand the useless prick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gregg Williams can look for work, but isn’t reinstated

350x-353.jpg

While Sean Payton was allowed back into the NFL today, Gregg Williams is still waiting.

Williams, who was suspended indefinitely for his role in the bounty scandal that cost Payton a year, can apply for work, however.

A source told Nakia Hogan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune that Williams is free to look for another job. If he’s able to convince someone to give him one, then Commissioner Roger Goodell will decide whether to reinstate him.

Good luck with that, Gregg.

The Rams have moved on, having fired Gregg’s son Blake, and interviewed Rob Ryan for the defensive coordinator job they didn’t fill after Williams was suspended.

It would take either a a spectacularly bold coach or a relative to put his neck on the line for Williams right now, so the fact he’s being allowed to look for work doesn’t necessarily mean he’s about to be employed again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back