rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-new-york-jets-wearing-color-rush-uniforms-111215

AP
Nov 12, 2015 at 9:00p ET

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- What's bright red and glowing green all over?

It's the eye-catching uniforms the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets wore Thursday night as part of the NFL's "Color Rush" promotion with Nike.

The Bills were dressed in scarlet red jerseys, sleeves, pants, socks and shoes, while the Jets were decked out in Kelly green from their necks down to their toes. New York's helmets also have a green chrome finish on the logo and facemask.

It all made for a Christmas-like feel in November.

The game is the first of four this season in which teams will wear one-colored uniforms during Thursday night games as part of the promotion. On Nov. 19, it'll be Tennessee (Titans blue) at Jacksonville (bold gold); Carolina (Panthers blue) at Dallas (white) on Nov. 26; and Tampa Bay (red) at St. Louis (yellow gold) on Dec. 17.

The promotion will continue next season with every team playing on Thursday nights wearing alternate "Color Rush" uniforms.

Twitter didn't take too kindly to the uniforms, as you can see below
So basically, the NFL are trying monochromatic "color"-v-"color" games. First up were the Buffalo Bills and the NY Jets. I thought it looked great personally...

bills-jets-color-rush-jerseys-header.jpg

Bills wearing red which they have never worn as a primary colour = NO

Jets back in kelly green = YES

Both in monochromatic uniforms = NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Break it up with white pants, the idea that wearing a single colour from top to toe just does not work. Further to this, the idea that every club will have to do this next year is just horrible.

The Titans look good, but the Jags don't work because a large patch of what is supposed to be a metallic colour doesn't work with the current matte uniforms Nike are making. It just looks brown.

UPDATE: "Color Blind NFL Fans Are Mad About Tonight's Bills-Jets Game"

Tonight the NFL is debuting some new uniforms which are great if you like color, and terrible if your eyes blend them together. Up to eight percent of men with Northern European ancestry have red-green color blindness (compared to 0.5 percent of women), which means tonight sucks for those because they can't differentiate between the Bills and Jets, and the game likely looks like a primetime scrimmage (which has us wondering about the players). This obviously has fans one out of every 12.5 fans agitated, and several took to Twitter to express their displeasure with the NFL for failing to foresee this
colorrushcolorblind.png
Image via USA TODAY Sports/William Hauser, edited by myself in PS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw this when I was shopping, and I didn't like it. Too much of the one colour, it looked like they were wearing one piece uniforms. The vision and pictures of what a person with red/green colour blindness would see while watching the match said it all. It didn't look like a match, it looked more like a team's training session.

What is the NFL's or Nike's idea behind these uniforms. Let the club's do what they want to with their uniforms, just given them a couple of rules to stick to to eliminate clashing uniforms. The idea of having both teams wear those uniforms in the one match created a clash, especially for red/green colour blind person. One team wearing them and one team not.

Making players wear new helmets is something as well. Usually the helmet is the only thing that the players wear home or away. Wearing the same helmet at every match at least gave the players something the same every match. The helmet is the logo of the club in the NFL.

Actually the AFL has gone more this way. Where the jumpers and the shorts of a club were usually different they are usually the same now.
UYXxoy3.jpg

Brisbane, Collingwood, West Coast, Essendon, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs have changed there uniforms from different colour of shorts to the jumper colour to where the jumper and the shorts are the same. Also clubs have introduced White away jumpers that are worn with white shorts. The NFL could be starting this idea now, but the AFL have been on it for a while.

Last edited:
I know one thing, this whole thing seemed poorly thought out to me when I learned about it. Didn't get the Jets-Bills game on TV myself, but I've seen several games where something of the ilk has happened: Redskins @ Cowboys Thanksgiving game back in 02 (dark burgundy vs navy), a women's basketball game (vegas gold vs silver), a Nevada football game, I can't remember who the opponent was as I didn't watch for very long (but Nevada was in silver...vs the other team's white), a couple Bucks games (at Knicks: green vs blue, and at Magic: green vs black), and a couple relatively odd examples: one time Notre Dame visited Georgia Tech...you'd be surprised how hard it was to tell white jerseys/gold pants with blue numbers apart from gold jerseys with blue numbers and white pants.

Far as the Bills, white pants would've improved that uniform a hundredfold. The Jets...honestly, if the NFL allowed it, this would've been the perfect time to test a completely new design, if only so they wouldn't have ended up with a Colts ripoff. Or at least a throwback (and having the wrong color helmet hasn't stopped them before).

Always good to try something different, Cant see it happening in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back