Discussion NFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve had your chances George tampa Bay are pretty banged up in the secondary. Hurts has missed a few he should have made and where’s your running game. Sippa with a mongrel punt but he looks good, haha pocket as much as a top AFL player hitting a few punts every week.

You’ve had your chances George tampa Bay are pretty banged up in the secondary. Hurts has missed a few he should have made and where’s your running game. Sippa with a mongrel punt but he looks good, haha pocket as much as a top AFL player hitting a few punts every week.
I said at the start of the year I'd be happy with 4 wins so these performances aren't surprising me. We are poorly coached and that shows in the penalties and play calling.

If we hadn't won a superbowl in my lifetime yet I'd probably be a bit more pissed off but this is easier to take now. We are one of the worst sides in the league I reckon. The only hope is to nail next year's draft, as it stands we have 3 picks inside the top 10.

I said at the start of the year I'd be happy with 4 wins so these performances aren't surprising me. We are poorly coached and that shows in the penalties and play calling.

If we hadn't won a superbowl in my lifetime yet I'd probably be a bit more pissed off but this is easier to take now. We are one of the worst sides in the league I reckon. The only hope is to nail next year's draft, as it stands we have 3 picks inside the top 10.
Strange game Tampa dominated but you were in the game late at least on the scoreboard.

I think it’s worth remembering hurt has what is it 9 or 10 starts so he’s effectively like a Jones or Lawrence learning on the job so I cut him some slack.

I’d really like to see him step up in the pocket under pressure and make some passes. He’ll get his bell rung if he keeps running around. Seems to lack the desperation of the shrimp moose at the cardinals or the outright speed and strong arm of Lamar Jackson. Still you can be a good QB without being a superstar.

I’m still not convinced these running QBs are the way to go. Russell Wilson is the perfect mix if you want to go that way Imo, he’s a smart player uses his legs when he needs to and gets down not smashed. Also I’ve never seen anyone who can extend a play like him yet know to the inch where the line of scrimmage is. I’d want hurt to look at his film and model his game around that. I still can’t believe the eagles dropped of wentz I really thought he was going to be a gun and I still do, you‘re guys have made some strange decisions over the years.

Mind you it’s a raffle sometimes you get lucky doing stupid s**t and sometimes you get stung doing the right thing. The Red Sox traded away our entire outfield maybe the best in baseball including a league mvp top 5 in baseball player and other dumb s**t yet somehow we’re in the American League championship series. Injuries to pitchers, so many players getting covid and so on but there we are, luck, chemistry whatever you can’t buy it just ask the Yankees.

Strange game Tampa dominated but you were in the game late at least on the scoreboard.

I think it’s worth remembering hurt has what is it 9 or 10 starts so he’s effectively like a Jones or Lawrence learning on the job so I cut him some slack.

I’d really like to see him step up in the pocket under pressure and make some passes. He’ll get his bell rung if he keeps running around. Seems to lack the desperation of the shrimp moose at the cardinals or the outright speed and strong arm of Lamar Jackson. Still you can be a good QB without being a superstar.

I’m still not convinced these running QBs are the way to go. Russell Wilson is the perfect mix if you want to go that way Imo, he’s a smart player uses his legs when he needs to and gets down not smashed. Also I’ve never seen anyone who can extend a play like him yet know to the inch where the line of scrimmage is. I’d want hurt to look at his film and model his game around that. I still can’t believe the eagles dropped of wentz I really thought he was going to be a gun and I still do, you‘re guys have made some strange decisions over the years.

Mind you it’s a raffle sometimes you get lucky doing stupid sh*t and sometimes you get stung doing the right thing. The Red Sox traded away our entire outfield maybe the best in baseball including a league mvp top 5 in baseball player and other dumb sh*t yet somehow we’re in the American League championship series. Injuries to pitchers, so many players getting covid and so on but there we are, luck, chemistry whatever you can’t buy it just ask the Yankees.
Yeah 10th start today. I don't blame it on him at all, I actually think he plays with heart and doesn't quit which will keep us in games in what's going to be a difficult year for us. I think he will show big improvement in the back half of the season, given he would've started the equivalent of a full season.

He reminds me of Wilson more than any other QB but yeah he does need to hit targets more. I think that comes with some more experience.

I rated Wentz but the reality is that he can't be relied on to play a full season, I don't think he's done that yet in his career. If it wasn't for his knee injury in our superbowl season he would've been league MVP but again it's about availability so I'm not fussed they moved him on. We have been crying out for an upgrade to the secondary for almost 10 years yet the front office don't do a thing about it. Not to mention we seeminlgy rotate the o line every week. Not the recipe for success lol.

I don't rate our coaches at all though and think until we move them on we won't go anywhere. Sirianni put me off from his very first press conference, stammering and mumbling and talking in movie quotes. Seemed like a guy who was out of his depth and the product looks that way, most penalised side in the league this season is to me a reflection of poor coaching and the fact we've got a running back with potential in Miles Sanders and we refuse to give him the ball also shows poor coaching. Forcing Hurts to throw the ball 50 times a game is not smart.

George
Wentz never the same after his injuries, never got back to his best let alone as you say reliable to last the year.

I like hurts, he is NFL quality, probably never be considered top 10 but will be around that 11-20 mark and carve out a career.
Don’t take that as insult, your team won a SB with foles.
Hurts will be very serviceable if they build the right supporting cast.

dont think he has the throwing capacity of Wilson.
His arm is his weakness.
Which is why I agree on your coaching call.
the mind boggles, why have hurts sling it like that? Build a running game around him and sanders, throw when opportunity presents for low risk options.

George
Wentz never the same after his injuries, never got back to his best let alone as you say reliable to last the year.

I like hurts, he is NFL quality, probably never be considered top 10 but will be around that 11-20 mark and carve out a career.
Don’t take that as insult, your team won a SB with foles.
Hurts will be very serviceable if they build the right supporting cast.

dont think he has the throwing capacity of Wilson.
His arm is his weakness.
Which is why I agree on your coaching call.
the mind boggles, why have hurts sling it like that? Build a running game around him and sanders, throw when opportunity presents for low risk options.
If he can’t throw it then he’s not an nfl standard quarterback and yes Russell Wilson has a great arm.

If he can’t throw it then he’s not an nfl standard quarterback and yes Russell Wilson has a great arm.
Running guys get by with less passing talent.
Newton, kap.
Even Jackson would struggle if his coach was dumb enough to have him pass 50 times a game.

he is nfl standard.
Not elite nfl, but standard.
Good enough that there would be other teams who would start him.

Running guys get by with less passing talent.
Newton, kap.
Even Jackson would struggle if his coach was dumb enough to have him pass 50 times a game.

he is nfl standard.
Not elite nfl, but standard.
Good enough that there would be other teams who would start him.
Scramblers are more flash in the pan types, they may have 1 or 2 good seasons but fizzle away badly after defenses begin to get a read on them. Mike Vick probably the only one who sustained it of the last 20 years. Newton & Kaep both flash in the pans IMO. Lamar is becoming that too.

I don't consider Hurts or Wilson scramblers, more just mobile QB's.

Come on Yawkey way , what a game! Hold on, please.

Close but no cigar, we’ve frustrated a few good teams this year but it’s been ugly 2 - 4 pretty well sums us up Imo. Haha Dallas would have been going home wondering wtf if they lost that.
No chance anyone in our division catches them now, if that was a possibility to begin with. Looking forward to a butt-fumble in the playoffs now.

No chance anyone in our division catches them now, if that was a possibility to begin with. Looking forward to a butt-fumble in the playoffs now.
Their already cocky and as they say pride comes before a fall, I think you can count on them to do something amusing in the playoffs.

Their already cocky and as they say pride comes before a fall, I think you can count on them to do something amusing in the playoffs.
They've permanently got big heads. Pretty funny for a team that hasn't done anything in over 25 years lol. This is why it's so sweet watching them, even when they play well. It inevitably implodes one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a banger that one boys/pats
The Diggs Pick 6 into the Mac long TD next play epic, deserved to go into OT.

how good is diggs?
6 games in a row with a pick.
Think 7 all up and 2 for 6.

Insane game this morning, most overtimes in college football history

Much needed W against a hapless Detroit this morning. Well, the game's not over but we're 24-0 ahead with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. Hope I don't jinx them, I've got a history of that on this website lol...

Jordan Howard was activated to play in today's game coming off the practice squad and so far has 45 yards on 8 carries, really running well. Really an odd career for him. He had two 1000 yard seasons in Chicago early in his career and then fell off a cliff. Still only 26. I was shocked when I saw the contract he's on. $250,000 a year...for a guy that was one of the best backs in the league 4 years ago. Amazing how quickly it can turn.

Much needed W against a hapless Detroit this morning. Well, the game's not over but we're 24-0 ahead with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. Hope I don't jinx them, I've got a history of that on this website lol...

Jordan Howard was activated to play in today's game coming off the practice squad and so far has 45 yards on 8 carries, really running well. Really an odd career for him. He had two 1000 yard seasons in Chicago early in his career and then fell off a cliff. Still only 26. I was shocked when I saw the contract he's on. $250,000 a year...for a guy that was one of the best backs in the league 4 years ago. Amazing how quickly it can turn.
Watched a discussion on running backs some years ago, it was very interesting. They know exactly how many carries they’ve had at high school and college, apparently production drops significantly at a certain point for most. They had a great graphic it’s like a cliff. Yeah backup quarterbacks make more than some superstar positional players, not all positions are equal and timing is everything in contract negotiations.

No jinx here, 44-6 in the end. Slay returning a fumble for a TD against his old side and then caught signing jerseys on the sidelines when all our starters were subbed out at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Doesn't say much honestly, Detroit are hopeless. Our only hope is we get some confidence from it and finally realise we should run the damn ball despite Sirianni's obsession with throwing it. We do have a soft schedule from here out so if we can just win the games we should, amazingly we could be around the mark for a wildcard spot. Perhaps the division if Dallas choke but they've got too big a lead in the division that it'll be tough to see it happening.

Watched a discussion on running backs some years ago, it was very interesting. They know exactly how many carries they’ve had at high school and college, apparently production drops significantly at a certain point for most. They had a great graphic it’s like a cliff. Yeah backup quarterbacks make more than some superstar positional players, not all positions are equal and timing is everything in contract negotiations.
Do you know where I could find that? I know historically their careers and prime are much shorter and generally they get paid less but geez I couldn't believe how much Howard fell off not only on field but just generally. Guy was sought after at Chicago and 4 years after running for 1000 yards for the 2nd time in 3 years he's on a practice squad earning $250,000 a year. Just blew me away. He's not old either, guys 26 with what you'd assume as plenty of years left.

Do you know where I could find that? I know historically their careers and prime are much shorter and generally they get paid less but geez I couldn't believe how much Howard fell off not only on field but just generally. Guy was sought after at Chicago and 4 years after running for 1000 yards for the 2nd time in 3 years he's on a practice squad earning $250,000 a year. Just blew me away. He's not old either, guys 26 with what you'd assume as plenty of years left.
He got worse every year. 4 years is a LONG time in an nfl running backs career. Where do you see Derrick Henry in 4 years? I highly doubt it’ll be at this level. Remember Lynch from a few years ago?
RBs normally have 2-3 good years and then fall away due to their bodies being so banged up so they’re replaced by another RB who can bang out a couple of good years.

Bills only turned up at half time today and still got the comfortable win.
still think we’re the best team in the AFC, looks like bills, ravens and Titans are the teams to beat with the chargers not far behind.
NFC definitely stronger this season. Rams, Cards, Green Bay and Tampa all look the goods.

He got worse every year. 4 years is a LONG time in an nfl running backs career. Where do you see Derrick Henry in 4 years? I highly doubt it’ll be at this level. Remember Lynch from a few years ago?
RBs normally have 2-3 good years and then fall away due to their bodies being so banged up so they’re replaced by another RB who can bang out a couple of good years.
I can't remember a back that went from 1000 yard seasons to practice squad in the span of 4 years. I know their careers and primes are shorter. Henry has been doing it consistently for four/five years now. I expect a drop off for all backs before they are 30, your Frank Gore's only come around once every generation but Howard is 26. The drop off has been huge. I couldn't imagine someone like Henry, Barkley or Elliott on a practice squad four years from now.

I’ll have a look and see what I can find, yeah I was surprised by just how quickly it’s over for so many of them. It makes sense though given many are human battering rams.

This is more recent but is a detailed explanation of how the role is changing and production by age etc.

I’ll have a look and see what I can find, yeah I was surprised by just how quickly it’s over for so many of them. It makes sense though given many are human battering rams.
Thanks mate would be a good read, always appreciate how much time & effort goes into scouting in the NFL. More meticulous than most sports in the world I reckon. As for the players you are right, but I expect them to play to a level that gets them a starting spot on a roster until they are about 30, not all but most. Two of Howard's first three seasons were 1000 yards (the other he ran for 900 odd so close enough) and when we brought him over I was pretty chuffed and he did play well in the pass heavy setup we had (500 yards at 4.4 a carry)...and that was in 2019!

Thanks mate would be a good read, always appreciate how much time & effort goes into scouting in the NFL. More meticulous than most sports in the world I reckon. As for the players you are right, but I expect them to play to a level that gets them a starting spot on a roster until they are about 30, not all but most. Two of Howard's first three seasons were 1000 yards (the other he ran for 900 odd so close enough) and when we brought him over I was pretty chuffed and he did play well in the pass heavy setup we had (500 yards at 4.4 a carry)...and that was in 2019!
The other piece was better but it’s hard to find the old stuff. Pretty much only the cowboys would sign Elliott to that sort of deal, it’s all emotion with them. He’s a classic example, he arrived having had a heavy workload at Ohio state so the projection on him would be 26 - 27 he’s just another running back with yardage per carry dropping off. Interestingly they have tony pollard getting a lot more carries and he’s a completely different player and it’s working well for them. Maybe platooning him extends his career but why tie up so much cash, cowboys special.

What I found really interesting about the story I watched was they’re all being tracked through high school and college. So you need to stand out to get drafted but as a running back the higher profile actually hurts you. Get drafted sign a rookie contract and a lot will never get a big payday. The teams looking at your production thinking it’s starting to slip let him walk we‘ll draft another one.

Still it makes sense, you see it in the AFL some players carry a team for a few years and end up banged up and old before their time, Cripps comes to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back