Discussion NFL Discussion

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any former NFL players play in that league?

Former NFLers? I'm not to sure who or how many to be honest. I rarely get a chance to watch North American sports anymore due to my work schedule (put in to get Grey Cup off, fingers crossed) and I never followed NFL too closely. I tried to find a list online, but there are a lot more lists of former CFLers in the NFL than visa versa (the best list I could find was just an article listing a few from 2018 so it is outdated). There are definitely guys that have played in both leagues though. Some guys are able to make the jump to the NFL (obviously the higher skill level) like Alex Singleton is one of the more recent ones I know of. Some guys spend a couple years in the NFL before going to the CFL, like Brandon Banks who plays for Hamilton. Rather famously Johnny Manziel tried to come to the CFL a few years ago, but he wasn't too successful.

If you are completely unfamiliar with the league and were to see a game it might appear somewhat strange if you are familiar with the NFL. There are some minor and some significant rule differences. 3 downs, bigger and wider field and endzones, unlimited backfield motion, a yard between the lines at scrimmage, 20 second play clock and different timing rules, even a one point scoring play (that isn't the point after), and many more.

Here is a promo the league put out for the 100th anniversary of the Grey Cup a few years ago. Not that it is the best for learning about the league, just a nice video promo

Last edited:
Pretty pathetic stuff this morning. Hurts really can't throw lol. After his 3rd pick we ran it 13 straight times. Should've really won that game.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Pretty pathetic stuff this morning. Hurts really can't throw lol. After his 3rd pick we ran it 13 straight times. Should've really won that game.
Still had a chance late, I was swapping channels with the Patriots winning easily. Hurt even when he has time he doesn’t look off the defenders he takes forever and stares straight at his intended receiver, no wonder he gets picked. It‘s like a 50/50 marking contest in afl, you can’t play like that in the nfl.

The giants have some good pieces but they can’t seem to put it together, they might surprise a few next year if they have a good off season. You guys should be looking at who’s available at qb there could be quite a few that would suit you. Cam Newton showing why Mac Jones pushed him out so easily, don’t know what happened but looks to have had a shocker.

Still had a chance late, I was swapping channels with the Patriots winning easily. Hurt even when he has time he doesn’t look off the defenders he takes forever and stares straight at his intended receiver, no wonder he gets picked. It‘s like a 50/50 marking contest in afl, you can’t play like that in the nfl.

The giants have some good pieces but they can’t seem to put it together, they might surprise a few next year if they have a good off season. You guys should be looking at who’s available at qb there could be quite a few that would suit you. Cam Newton showing why Mac Jones pushed him out so easily, don’t know what happened but looks to have had a shocker.
Yeah we need a QB. I was laughing at the drive we had straight after his 3rd interception. Every play a run or Hurts would step back and then decide to run it anyway. We were far more balanced in weeks prior but this was pretty bad. Think he went into his shell and didn't want to make anymore mistakes but honestly we lost that game because of him. 2 INT's in the redzone too, it's just not acceptable. Especially the dumb one he threw before halftime. Just throw it out of bounds and kick the field goal.

Today's game is what I thought our entire season would be like so in my eyes we've overachieved this season, definitely exceeded my expectations. Obviously this kind of play isn't sustainable though. Way too predictable and we won't be going anywhere despite how dominant we are on the ground.

Mac is looking like the best QB of his class, he must be over the moon that he went to a team that knows how to develop QB's. Great fit and he's playing really well.

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hamilton and Saskatchewan win the division semi finals. Both division finals will feature Labour Day Classic rivalries for only the third time in history. I'll post some highlights when they get out on YouTube if anyone wants to check them out. The Calgary Saskatchewan game was particularly exciting.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Fantastic episode today of man in the arena, if they saints don’t have this as much watch for every player they should.

Fantastic episode today of man in the arena, if they saints don’t have this as much watch for every player they should.
Hard episode to take being they documented the season you beat us haha. Tough going from here, don't think there was another SB win until 2014. Looking forward to how they go through the 16-0 year, he was unbelievable with Moss.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Brown 4 penalties last week including the game killer and now he losses his man in traffic blown coverage touchdown, hmm.

Saints, Saints, 76ers, Phillies, Tottenham…
I exist in a waking nightmare ffs
Perennial loser fits you incredibly well though. That's a win.

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
CFL division finals tomorrow. For only the third time in history and the first since 1979 both division finals feature Labour Day Rivalries (every Labour Day weekend the same teams play in the same city and all the matchups are between teams main rivals). Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Toronto Argonauts in the east and Saskatchewan Roughriders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the west. The Roughriders might be the most St Kilda esque team in the CFL. Despite being founded in 1910 and being older than all the other western teams and Montreal and arguably Hamilton they have fewer Grey Cups than anyone (assuming you count old Ottawa ones for new Ottawa) with only 4. 2 of which are recent in 2013 and 2007, a famous last second field goal in 1989 and a first in 1966! They also had an infamous last second 09 loss that seems like something that would happen to St Kilda. Winnipeg is by far the favourite and the clear best team in the league right now. A Winnipeg Hamilton game would be a rematch of last Grey Cup and is actually the most occurring Grey Cup matchup ever.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
CFL division finals tomorrow. For only the third time in history and the first since 1979 both division finals feature Labour Day Rivalries (every Labour Day weekend the same teams play in the same city and all the matchups are between teams main rivals). Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Toronto Argonauts in the east and Saskatchewan Roughriders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the west. The Roughriders might be the most St Kilda esque team in the CFL. Despite being founded in 1910 and being older than all the other western teams and Montreal and arguably Hamilton they have fewer Grey Cups than anyone (assuming you count old Ottawa ones for new Ottawa) with only 4. 2 of which are recent in 2013 and 2007, a famous last second field goal in 1989 and a first in 1966! They also had an infamous last second 09 loss that seems like something that would happen to St Kilda. Winnipeg is by far the favourite and the clear best team in the league right now. A Winnipeg Hamilton game would be a rematch of last Grey Cup and is actually the most occurring Grey Cup matchup ever.
Went to my first game about a month ago. Definitely different to the NFL. Bigger field, end zone is huge, only 3 downs and plenty of other little quirks.
The main thing that threw me off was having more than 1 player in motion. Guys going everywhere before the snap.

That was ugly, 2/3 Mac Jones 🤣🤣. A W against a conference rival will do me but I haven’t seen many games like that.
You guys look the real deal despite that stat line haha

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went to my first game about a month ago. Definitely different to the NFL. Bigger field, end zone is huge, only 3 downs and plenty of other little quirks.
The main thing that threw me off was having more than 1 player in motion. Guys going everywhere before the snap.

Yeah I really like the bigger endzone and the unlimited pre snap motion. Definitely more pass friendly rules than the NFL.

Episode 4 of Man in the Arena came out tonight Yawkey way , another brilliant episode. Might be the best sports doco I've seen since Last Dance.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Episode 4 of Man in the Arena came out tonight Yawkey way , another brilliant episode. Might be the best sports doco I've seen since Last Dance.

High praise, Last Dance was (in my opinion) as good as it gets.
I've always had a ton of respect for Brady, and I reckon after the last NFL season he cemented himself as the GOAT. Is it a similar style in the sense they have footage with a younger Tom Brady outside of just on field footage?

High praise, Last Dance was (in my opinion) as good as it gets.
I've always had a ton of respect for Brady, and I reckon after the last NFL season he cemented himself as the GOAT. Is it a similar style in the sense they have footage with a younger Tom Brady outside of just on field footage?
Yeah they show some nice footage of him as they go through his career. They even start at 1993 when Bledsoe was drafted and paint the picture of his career up until Brady replaced him due to injury.

For me his comeback against the Falcons in that superbowl was what did it for me, before that I was of the opinion Peyton Manning was the best QB of all time.

If you've got Kayo you should check it out it's really good. I hadn't really followed much of Brady until he was in his third or fourth season so the first few episodes are mostly new to me. It's superb so far.

Back