NFL Div 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy Barden to Macleod?
Be interesting to see what impact if any he would have. Fully fit, his best is probably past him and the shoulder injury he suffered a couple of seasons back has apparently limited him further.

He's playing VFL. Might only feature for Mont 2-3 times?

Think he will play 10+ for Mont.

The North Melbourne VFL team will be largely comprised of AFL listed players (15+ each week) and with no development league he will feature heavily at Mont.

Mont getting the rewards of being home grown at the moment with being able to bring in 3 six point players, and a fit Fennell back in.

They play finals for mine.

Strength , size, elite fitness , great get
Does anyone know if he can actually play? By his own admission he can’t kick and from memory played 2’s footy when he had a break from tennis. Greater pick up from a promo point than football I think.

Does anyone know if he can actually play? By his own admission he can’t kick and from memory played 2’s footy when he had a break from tennis. Greater pick up from a promo point than football I think.

Boomer knows he can
Played a match with him and Sam did really rely well
No problems

Looking at the North Heidelberg recruits and where they have come from, has the league given them 60 points to work with? They were on the brink last year and correct me if I’m wrong but have picked up 7-8 players that are all worth 3, 4 or 5 points. Doesn’t add up to me even if they have some players from last year reduce a point

Last edited:
Looking at the North Heidelberg recruits and where they have come from, has the league given them 60 points to work with? They were on the brink last year and correct me if I’m wrong but have picked up 7-8 players that are all worth 3, 4 or 5 points. Doesn’t add up to me even if they have some players from last year reduce a point
I think it’s going to be pretty obvious that they won’t be able to pick their best side. They’ll have a pretty good side but they’re going to have some handy blokes in the two’s who over time might get peeved that the only reason they’re not in the ones is because of points.

I think it’s going to be pretty obvious that they won’t be able to pick their best side. They’ll have a pretty good side but they’re going to have some handy blokes in the two’s who over time might get peeved that the only reason they’re not in the ones is because of points.

Hence why this points system is a load of garbage. Was put together by people who have little interest in local community footy and only did it for the pay check or to tick a box. I like the idea of limiting the number of 5-6 pointers that can go to a club but restricting local 3 point players from moving is a disgrace. Then to give a young player who has played say 15 VFL development games 4 points is just ridiculous. Yes by all means cap the number of ex AFL players to 2 per club/per year and ex VFL to 2 per club/ per year, but if 4 mates (who played local footy) want to go to a club together why restrict them?

Hence why this points system is a load of garbage. Was put together by people who have little interest in local community footy and only did it for the pay check or to tick a box. I like the idea of limiting the number of 5-6 pointers that can go to a club but restricting local 3 point players from moving is a disgrace. Then to give a young player who has played say 15 VFL development games 4 points is just ridiculous. Yes by all means cap the number of ex AFL players to 2 per club/per year and ex VFL to 2 per club/ per year, but if 4 mates (who played local footy) want to go to a club together why restrict them?
Like it or loathe it, I think the points system is a necessary tool to help clubs compete. It won’t be perfect or a guarantee to competitiveness but it will certainly help. In Nths case I think they’re perhaps doing what some clubs used to do when offering cash. They’d sometimes promise a guy big dollars to get him across, knowing that the was only going to be backup and most likely play a majority in the two’s. The points system can be used the same way. Recruit as many blokes as you can with no limit on points, offer them whatever $$$, then pick your best side with max points and no breach of “salary cap”. As I said previous, their two’s are going to be a hand unit to come up against.

Like it or loathe it, I think the points system is a necessary tool to help clubs compete. It won’t be perfect or a guarantee to competitiveness but it will certainly help. In Nths case I think they’re perhaps doing what some clubs used to do when offering cash. They’d sometimes promise a guy big dollars to get him across, knowing that the was only going to be backup and most likely play a majority in the two’s. The points system can be used the same way. Recruit as many blokes as you can with no limit on points, offer them whatever $$$, then pick your best side with max points and no breach of “salary cap”. As I said previous, their two’s are going to be a hand unit to come up against.

Hey Buz, I’m not sure about this. Players on the good coin are usually your top 8-10 players and always play ones. Think it’s great to have depth and if you recruit the right people they should be prepared to be dropped if their form warrants it. Dropping players for no reason other than to be within the points will see players want to leave and rightly so. If your form is good and you are a 3 Point player but your playing twos just to allow a lesser player who is 1 point to play in front of you ( similar type) then that’s not going to end well..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Buz, I’m not sure about this. Players on the good coin are usually your top 8-10 players and always play ones. Think it’s great to have depth and if you recruit the right people they should be prepared to be dropped if their form warrants it. Dropping players for no reason other than to be within the points will see players want to leave and rightly so. If your form is good and you are a 3 Point player but your playing twos just to allow a lesser player who is 1 point to play in front of you ( similar type) then that’s not going to end well..
I think you’ll find that on occasions clubs have indeed rotated/dropped players in the past to keep at points cap and that some 1 pointers have played in place of more inform team mates on higher points. Certainly was highlighted to me last season with a couple of clubs in particular.

I think you’ll find that on occasions clubs have indeed rotated/dropped players in the past to keep at points cap and that some 1 pointers have played in place of more inform team mates on higher points. Certainly was highlighted to me last season with a couple of clubs in particular.

Hey Buz, your correct but what I’m alluding to is those players playing 2s for those reasons could most likely walk and I don’t blame them. This points system the way it is needs refining urgently. It also affects coaches who some players follow. Coach can’t leave for another club and take his 5/6 followers.

Hey Buz, your correct but what I’m alluding to is those players playing 2s for those reasons could most likely walk and I don’t blame them. This points system the way it is needs refining urgently. It also affects coaches who some players follow. Coach can’t leave for another club and take his 5/6 followers.

Is that not the idea? The points cap is to limit player movement and make it easier for clubs to retain players.

They don't want kids who have played 15 vfl development games being poached to other clubs. They want to make in unattractive for clubs to steal talent with outrages money offers. That's the point of it.

Is that not the idea? The points cap is to limit player movement and make it easier for clubs to retain players.

Spot on, point system most transparent way to achieve this and forces most clubs to have a long term view of development from within. At least you'd hope it would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back