NFL Div 2 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know how much footy you played but a coach never stopped me from getting a kick or kicking straight when given the opportunity.

Whether PK is Ron Barassi or not, the players have to take responsibility for the loss yesterday.

Bad kicking is bad footy, especially at Preston in the finals.
Don’t know how much footy you played but a coach never stopped me from getting a kick or kicking straight when given the opportunity.

Whether PK is Ron Barassi or not, the players have to take responsibility for the loss yesterday.

Bad kicking is bad footy, especially at Preston in the finals.
Both teams kicked 10 behinds in the GF.
The cracks started to show around the 1 point win to Banyule in round 10. This team was a 5 goal better team than any other team in Div 2 but teams started working them out and he had no plan B. Unfortunately he falls into the category of great player and by all reports he is a great bloke but just doesn't cut the mustard as a coach.

Eltham didn't lose because of the coach. Eltham were on top at 3/4 and didn't capitalise on their opportunities in the third quarter. Lower Plenty did in the last. Had Eltham converted those points to goals we wouldn't be having this discussion.

With that said, Kingy is not the man to bring Eltham forward. There is a good chance Eltham will lose some players who don't want to be stuck in division 2. Eltham need a coach not only to bring them back to division one but have them contend. He is not that man to do it.

Banyule is going to be a much better team next year and they have worked Eltham out. If Eltham keep their team together then they will definitely be in the Grand Final next year, but they wont be as dominant and I would say only Banyule would challenge but long term, he is not the right coach for Eltham.

Eltham didn't lose because of the coach. Eltham were on top at 3/4 and didn't capitalise on their opportunities in the third quarter. Lower Plenty did in the last. Had Eltham converted those points to goals we wouldn't be having this discussion.

With that said, Kingy is not the man to bring Eltham forward. There is a good chance Eltham will lose some players who don't want to be stuck in division 2. Eltham need a coach not only to bring them back to division one but have them contend. He is not that man to do it.

Banyule is going to be a much better team next year and they have worked Eltham out. If Eltham keep their team together then they will definitely be in the Grand Final next year, but they wont be as dominant and I would say only Banyule would challenge but long term, he is not the right coach for Eltham.
Whittlesea will be very strong next year. I would think they will be right up there

Whittlesea will be very strong next year. I would think they will be right up there

Totally forgot about them.

I do worry for Eltham. I can't help but feel it was this year or bust. I hope I am wrong for their sake but the competition is only going to be harder next year. We will see what they are made of.

People said that off Doggies as well and look what’s transpired
The doggies had experiance and some great players. The also recruited well. VFL players etc. They were clearly ahead of the rest of the comp. Lower will loose older players and will definately need about 10 class players to be competative.

The doggies had experiance and some great players. The also recruited well. VFL players etc. They were clearly ahead of the rest of the comp. Lower will loose older players and will definately need about 10 class players to be competative.
I think 10 class players is an exaggeration. You’d probably expect Nolan, Dorbolo and a couple of others to call it quits but those guys as good as they’ve been aren’t going to create a massive drain and in their favour is a relatively young and talented list as well as plenty of points to play with. Eltham probably had a list that would of survived relegation had it played div 1 this season, so let’s not go overboard with what’s required. Fair chance Hurstbridge may be a worse side than them next year.

Well known fact that the guy can't coach but you have to also blame the circumstances on how he was appointed. The President and his men should be held accountable for their actions. Questions need to be asked by the members and supporters. He was the presidents mate who was appointed under unusual circumstances. They then sign him up for 2019, crazy. The club knew his shortfalls so they had Neil Codger Connell come in pre season to teach him some game styles but you need to be capable of changing things up on game day. Paul King and his brother were grossly out of their league yesterday and it showed. The warning signs and cracks appeared in this team weeks ago but he didn't do anything about it, he thought it would fix itself. Make no mistake, this team underperformed this year. They're hurting at the moment, new start required. Pay him out his money which surly wouldn't be much and advertise for a new coach while they are still available.
The whole appointment was truly bizarre. They ring a guy up who "Hadn't even thought about coaching" and appoint him to a division 1 job.

While i can't say how good of a coach he is i think Eltham should have been competing for Division 1 finals with that list not Division 2. They added 3/4 recruits who would get a game in ANY side in Victoria. Had depth with 2 under 19's sides and a top line reserves side.

Realistically for whatever reason they fell apart late in the season and the rest is history. Will Eltham make any tough calls? I doubt it. Will they go backwards next year? Im unsure but I know Banyule and Whittlesea wont be handing them a flag.

The whole appointment was truly bizarre. They ring a guy up who "Hadn't even thought about coaching" and appoint him to a division 1 job.

While i can't say how good of a coach he is i think Eltham should have been competing for Division 1 finals with that list not Division 2. They added 3/4 recruits who would get a game in ANY side in Victoria. Had depth with 2 under 19's sides and a top line reserves side.

Realistically for whatever reason they fell apart late in the season and the rest is history. Will Eltham make any tough calls? I doubt it. Will they go backwards next year? Im unsure but I know Banyule and Whittlesea wont be handing them a flag.
Agree that Eltham will not be getting any easy ride next season. Firstly they need to retain what they have, and probably need to recruit or promote a couple more to add some speed. I only seen them 3 times during the H&A season, but my observation (from afar) was they didnt seem to change things up much when the opposition did apply some pressure and got on top during a game. They stuck with the same structures and rebound play whether 10 goals up or 3 goals down - probably the late season loss to Banyule being the most apparent. In fairness, it worked for them with only dropping a couple of games, and it certainly wasn't the issue in the grand final. But there's no doubt they need to step up for next season - as dominant as they were this year, improvement will be needed to be on top again. Banyule and Whittlesea will both be strong contenders next year.

There is alway plenty of people ready to kick the coach when a team with high expectations falls over. I’m sure Kingy will be a better coach next year than what he was this year. Eltham will be fine.

Congratulations to Patty Flynn on winning the comp medal last night. Great effort considering he missed a few games and probably should of missed more through injury.

There is alway plenty of people ready to kick the coach when a team with high expectations falls over. I’m sure Kingy will be a better coach next year than what he was this year. Eltham will be fine.
Can't believe some of the stuff written anonymously about the bloke. Flags are incredibly hard to come by and if the siren blasted a second earlier we could be talking about Eltham back up in Div1 and he is a premiership coach. Speak to most people at Eltham he is highly rated on and off the field.

Can't believe some of the stuff written anonymously about the bloke. Flags are incredibly hard to come by and if the siren blasted a second earlier we could be talking about Eltham back up in Div1 and he is a premiership coach. Speak to most people at Eltham he is highly rated on and off the field.
If the siren had blown a second earlier it would’ve been extra time. Fair chance Lower may have won by more since they had all the momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Patty Flynn on winning the comp medal last night. Great effort considering he missed a few games and probably should of missed more through injury.
It gets proven year after year and it doesn't matter whether your talking about 1,2 or 3rd division, if you want to win a Grand Final at Preston you must have a dominant Ruckman and an insight as to what the weather is going to dish up just in case you win the toss.
Because you can't control the weather best get an experienced Ruckman.
I hear Northcote Park have just signed one for next year.

Last edited:
It gets proven year after year and it doesn't matter whether your talking about 1,2 or 3rd division, if you want to win a Grand Final at Preston you must have a dominant Ruckman and an insight as to what the weather is going to dish up just in case you win the toss.
Because you can't control the weather best get an experienced Ruckman.
I hear Northcote Park have just signed one for next year.
I bet Macleod wish they followed your advice. Desperately need a ruckman

I bet Macleod wish they followed your advice. Desperately need a ruckman
Yes I know they don't like to go overboard with regard to Payments and that's fair enough and a good Ruckman doesn't come cheap.
On the other hand they've always been up there and have an excellent home and away history, but that means nothing if you don't win the big one.

Really, coz I'm hearing Ramsay to montmorency, Plunkett to banyule
I heard last weekend from the mouth of a Mont player that Gary would be coaching them next season in a deal that includes a job.

I heard last weekend from the mouth of a Mont player that Gary would be coaching them next season in a deal that includes a job.
That’s incorrect word mouth yesterday
Tells me yesterday that mont are continuing to go through the interviewing process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back