Portfolio NFL (formerly South West Australian National Football League)

Remove this Banner Ad

simbar81

Rookie
Aug 23, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hobart Hurricanes;
NFL Logo.jpg

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

formerly SWANFL

Commencing in 1980 the then South West Australian National Football League included 12 teams made up from both the South Australia National Football League and Western Australian National Football League, to directly rival the VFL and try to stop the player exodus to the VFL.

With only six licences available in each state and all clubs on board this meant some of the clubs had to scramble themselves into mergers with neighbouring clubs in order to survive. While the stronger clubs made it through unscathed.

The following is a set of the current 2017 club logos and playing strips.

Last edited:

First SA team and first of the mergers
Glenelg and West Adelaide
THE GLENELG BLOODS
Based out of Gliderol Stadium at Glenelg
View attachment 371794
Wonder if class78 would let this pass?

Also weird but I too imagined East Perth being with Puma if such a thing existed today, but I always thought a cool clash would be an inversion. I do like your ideas though – however I'd still have the regular, as is today strip as the main one. Perhaps the black would be a night strip and the royal blue be a clash for Swans, Perth.

Another merger in South Australia this time between the Bulldogs and Norths.
The NORTHERN DISTRICTS ROOSTERS
Based at Centrals home ground My Money House Oval in Elizabeth.
NORTHERN DISTRICTS ROOSTERS.jpg

Very surprised that you didn't go for a combined sash design for the Glenelg Bloods. Happy to see East Fremantle in this league, secretly wished they were in the actual AFL years ago. As for East Perth, bugger them, kick them out! :D

Definitely watching this thread! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If East Perth are in, then I think we might be merged with you guys.
Oh s**t. Luckily no Peel in this timeline, meaning a Subi/ Claremont merger could be on the cards instead. That would make more sense to me.

Oh s**t. Luckily no Peel in this timeline, meaning a Subi/ Claremont merger could be on the cards instead. That would make more sense to me.
As of the 1991 season the South Fremantle FC relocated to the Peel area and were known as
THE PEEL BULLDOGS
Keeping the Red and White of SFFC but including the Navy Blue of the Peel District.
Home Ground Rushton Park in Mandurah.
PEEL BULLDOGS.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back