NFL NFL Gamepass

Remove this Banner Ad

lando-calrissian-this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.gif

From the article..

"We do know there's a direct correlation between wagerers betting on a sport and then watching it on television, whatever the platform."
Sports rights expert Colin Smith

So there isn't even an attempt to hide the view that gambling will drive up viewership which Smith also comments on in the article makes the television rights more valuable. It wont drive up true interest in the sport just like many race punters aren't animal lovers....but that doesn't matter as long as stronger ratings increase the rights $$$$$s.

It just doesn't seem right to me...the value should be in the on field product. One of the refreshing things in watching American sports coverage is the focus on the game and not the points spreads, exotic bets, who scores a TD first etc etc etc. This is not horse racing which was born our of gambling.

I dunno what American sports media coverage you consume but the sports media I see on twitter and podcasts gambling is mentioned far more than it is in Australia

I dunno what American sports media coverage you consume but the sports media I see on twitter and podcasts gambling is mentioned far more than it is in Australia

I'm referring to mainstream broadcast rights of which social media typically doesn't apply.

I can choose to follow the gambling narrative of a sport by tuning into those services if I want, but it doesn't invade the mainstream broadcast like it does here where you have no choice.

With the latest gambling regulations in the us being rolled back. Last month ESPNews has a sidebar with spread for all kinds of games and odds to win championships, when then channel is not showing live sport. It's really in your face.

I'm referring to mainstream broadcast rights of which social media typically doesn't apply.

I can choose to follow the gambling narrative of a sport by tuning into those services if I want, but it doesn't invade the mainstream broadcast like it does here where you have no choice.

Well yeah I mean they don't have the advertisements on TV. But for example the literal channel 7 broadcast of an AFL match doesn't refer to gambling much at all if at all. It's just commercials.
With the latest gambling regulations in the us being rolled back. Last month ESPNews has a sidebar with spread for all kinds of games and odds to win championships, when then channel is not showing live sport. It's really in your face.

Yeah it's pretty funny you listen to SVP talk about how he used to get told to really not push the gambling stuff too hard at all on his midnight Sportscenter. Now they've really brought into it.

Well yeah I mean they don't have the advertisements on TV. But for example the literal channel 7 broadcast of an AFL match doesn't refer to gambling much at all if at all. It's just commercials.

Yeah it's pretty funny you listen to SVP talk about how he used to get told to really not push the gambling stuff too hard at all on his midnight Sportscenter. Now they've really brought into it.
SVP was always different. Winners on a friday was always a good segment. Same with bad beats on Tuesdays. But never felt pushy. Just kinda a comedy segment. Not like the Stanford Steve and Bear podcast

SVP was always different. Winners on a friday was always a good segment. Same with bad beats on Tuesdays. But never felt pushy. Just kinda a comedy segment. Not like the Stanford Steve and Bear podcast

Yeah. It's slowly increased though. Don't think the higher ups were originally that keen on it but Stanford and SVP would try to explain it's what the people are interested in.

Stanford and the Bear is a good pod but I barely ever get the chance to listen to it before the games as I've got so many others to try and get to before, sucks.

The higher ups on ESPN were fine winners had it's own song and at times had Adult Swim shows doing the picks early on. Like squidbillies and ATHF. Bad beats was always a comedy thing that might of started by uncle Brent making notes on them in his calls years ago

The higher ups on ESPN were fine winners had it's own song and at times had Adult Swim shows doing the picks early on. Like squidbillies and ATHF. Bad beats was always a comedy thing that might of started by uncle Brent making notes on them in his calls years ago

Okay sorry SVP must've been talking s**t

How would he get the money to get the AS animation especially for the show if no one wanted it done?
It might not of been everyone. But someone let him do it. If the higher ups were super against it they would of cut it after a few weeks. It wasnt much different to Over/Under on PTI. Just a little 3 min segment

How would he get the money to get the AS animation especially for the show if no one wanted it done?
It might not of been everyone. But someone let him do it. If the higher ups were super against it they would of cut it after a few weeks. It wasnt much different to Over/Under on PTI. Just a little 3 min segment

Ok man I'm just relaying what SVP has said in interviews over the years.

Three major things shitting me with gamepass at the moment

1) can't turn off closed captions on Apple tv - games are ok but watching NFL access, NFL network etc can't turn off cc. I've tried my AppleTV settings, I've tried using the mic on the remote to do it via voice command, no dice

2) can't skip forward or back on AppleTV, have to use the slider which is too sensitive and skips ahead too far instead of 10 seconds at a time

3) finally got the app on Android TV - and there is no way to hide the scores! So it's useless if you want to watch a game on Monday night after getting home from work

This is a multibillion dollar corporation and they can't sort out this basic s**t? C'mon man!

All the apps have their deficiencies, the xbox app can only fast forward or rewind at 2x speed, there's no option to scroll or skip ahead so if I just want to watch a last quarter I have to sit there for 5min+ holding down my controllers right trigger to get there, ludicrous. & then if you have to stop for some reason, the lack of a resume function means do it all again!! Piss poor customer service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely loving Gamepass. Went 1/5th’s with some mates & it’s been the best investment. Essentially saving me 2-3 hrs sleep for games on the early slates & watching them in full/40 min version throughout Monday morning.

Loving goodmorning football throughout the week live or delayed & catching up on other games during the week.

Absolutely loving Gamepass. Went 1/5th’s with some mates & it’s been the best investment. Essentially saving me 2-3 hrs sleep for games on the early slates & watching them in full/40 min version throughout Monday morning.

Loving goodmorning football throughout the week live or delayed & catching up on other games during the week.

For all the bad s**t it's still the best 200 bucks I spend each year, there's work around for everything so I get by but it'd be great though to have fully functional apps.

Three major things shitting me with gamepass at the moment

1) can't turn off closed captions on Apple tv - games are ok but watching NFL access, NFL network etc can't turn off cc. I've tried my AppleTV settings, I've tried using the mic on the remote to do it via voice command, no dice

2) can't skip forward or back on AppleTV, have to use the slider which is too sensitive and skips ahead too far instead of 10 seconds at a time

3) finally got the app on Android TV - and there is no way to hide the scores! So it's useless if you want to watch a game on Monday night after getting home from work

This is a multibillion dollar corporation and they can't sort out this basic s**t? C'mon man!

agree with all this.... I abandoned the Samsung app and pulled out my trusty Mac Mini

Did anyone else read the changes to the terms and conditions that came through this week? Essentially saying they're going to throw gambling advertising at us, and if you continue using GP then you're agreeing to the t&cs.

Pretty ******* cheeky to pull that s**t mid-season when you've already paid for it. I bet they don't drop the price in light of their advertising revenue.

Did anyone else read the changes to the terms and conditions that came through this week? Essentially saying they're going to throw gambling advertising at us, and if you continue using GP then you're agreeing to the t&cs.

Pretty ******* cheeky to pull that s**t mid-season when you've already paid for it. I bet they don't drop the price in light of their advertising revenue.
That's a positive (reduced price in the future).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back