NFL Junior Metro Champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just throwing this out there but should the NFL be held accountable for the calamitous results that has come from the junior metropolitan games. (Note this does not include the girls side who did well)

Not only did the NFL boys sides lose 11 out of 12 games they played, looking at the scores they were belted, some games they hardly scored. Voice piece for the NFL, the oblivious Simon Devine goes on to praise and congratulate the work done by all....should he do that or raise questions on why the boys sides where basically humiliated (score wise)

I have nothing to do with NFL juniors, so before anyone suggests this post is due to my son not getting a game its not at all. I actually had no knowledge they were on I just read the news on the NFL Web (http://nfl.org.au/2017-afl-victoria-metro-junior-championships-wrap/)

Can the local lads be that bad? Are other comps that much better? How can being up to 'Div 1' be that hard? Is there selection issues anyone has heard (I have in the past heard these things can be clicky but again I have never experienced it) Does anyone know if this is the norm?

I am sure there are resources being used at some cost to the NFL, should these results not put into question the people running it? If this was a business (which it is) I am sure there would be some questions at least raised.

It would certainly help if all Senior clubs had their juniors aligned to the NFL, however, in our case (Macleod), the club is very happy with their relationship with the Yarra Junior Football League. Can't speak for Heidelberg, Banyule, St Mary's or Bundoora, however, these are all strong Junior clubs with big numbers NOT with the NFL

Tough one hey, was the promotion driven by results in 2015/16 or are there other factors? I know having floated around the RDFL watching kids for years I too find myself questioning things at times, but unlike you guys in the RDFL's defence it's demographic area and the amount of clubs/kids etc it draws from has them a bit of the pace anyway.

How are your squads selected? Is it the old fashioned "clubs nominate" or does the NFL cast an eye over the early rounds? My pet hate is when you hear clubs/parents say "little Johnie learnt nothing" or "he got nothing out of that interleague program" which always follows by me saying, I thought kids were meant to be an above standard and capable of performing to a level to get selected, sending them in the hope they learn something sometime means you've either dropped the ball at club land a bit or the wrong kids are reporting for duty.

Generally interested in junior football and junior development, so always interested how other parties go about their business?

Last edited:

The talent pool is just simply too small. In Under 15's for example the NFL has 15 teams in two Divisions, EFL has 29 teams in 4 Divisions and YJFL has 32 teams in 4 Divisions. Add to that that the concentration of players is a lot higher from the North-East suburb teams (i.e Research, Diamond Creek, Yarrambat, Laurimar, Greensborough, Eltham, Montmorency etc.) than the more Northern suburb teams (use Plenty Road as a divider) and the catchment area of talent is even smaller.

It's been a continuing trend of player drop-off in the league for some time, in particular from those clubs west of Plenty Road - only West Preston, Mill Park, South Morang and probably Whittlesea have a strong number of junior teams. (Mernda are improving but could almost be considered North-East, as well)

Totally agree with Workhorse comments, the NFL region is just too small compared to EFL, Yarra and Sth East. I think the last time NFL were in Div 1 metro was back in 2014 and we got the same results. Next year NFL will be in Div 2 and they will compete against comps of similar size and should be competitive. Not sure of the exact figures this year but in past NFL players make up less than 50% of the TAC knights squad as well but I think in land size we cover 60% of the knights zone.

I suppose the good thing is juniors from Macleod, St Marys Banyule and other Yarra clubs do mainly play seniors in the NFL.

I'm led to believe the NFL will remain in Div.1 for next years carnival.

I'm led to believe the NFL will remain in Div.1 for next years carnival.
Yep, I think the girls victory keeps them in Div 1.

I have a son playing in the YJFL, not the rep teams just a u/15 club side, and have no connection with the NFL Junior Metro teams but have paid some attention to them. The NFL junior leagues are too small as said previous, the local competition is not competitive either. The u15 div one league is a point in case, that seems to be a one horse race with 1 standout and two other teams that are well above the bottom 3 who cop relatively large losses except when they play each other. The league appears to have let itself implode a bit with excessive player movement that has rendered some teams basically non competitive.

The league compared to the YJFL just is not on the same level (and there were a number of boys who made themselves unavailable in the YJFL rep teams this year as well from what had been told) Having said that, the NFL boys in the A game put up a solid fight against the YJFL but the class just over ran them in the end. The drop off between the A and B teams is staggering and really highlights the lack of talent in the NFL compared to other leagues due to the smaller pool available.

So whilst it is tough to look at the results, the coaches and associated people involved have most likely done the best job they can do under the circumstances. The 15s were in excellent hands imo, you just cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back