Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
While watching the Seahawks game I heard they intend to broadcast a game this weekend mostly using their skycam. This should be good; being able to see the plays develop and so on. I would love to see more AFL games with behind the goals views during live play. I'm still trying to understand how the lines work together in Aussie rules and was actually going to post a ISO a website that diagrammed out forwards running patterns etc. For example how is Hawkins working in tandem with other forwards. I love it when some of the panel shows show the technical or tactical side of the game (albeit for such short clips) I think it would elevate much of the discussions and general knowledge of the average fans.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...c-skycam-broadcast/118yotx1muu8p10vpzm0wek2kd

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It baffles me that there isn't an option to choose particular camera angles etc. available more commonly.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
It's quite clear the broadcasters and the AFL care more about the channel surfer viewers than those that have footy matches as their priority.
I did notice one channel had their camera pulled back a little and crowd mikes louder in the mix. Much better. You could see open players across or up the field, defenders rushing to cover, and the crowd let you know something was up.

It baffles me that there isn't an option to choose particular camera angles etc. available more commonly.
The original FoxFooty channel did offer these options along with your choice of audio if memory serves correctly

It's quite clear the broadcasters and the AFL care more about the channel surfer viewers than those that have footy matches as their priority.
I did notice one channel had their camera pulled back a little and crowd mikes louder in the mix. Much better. You could see open players across or up the field, defenders rushing to cover, and the crowd let you know something was up.
Nothing apart from BT commentating shits me more than directors choosing the zoomed in angel during play.
Keep that option for replays and breaks in play zingers, it has no place during play, viewers can't see what is going on around the ball or see what options are available

The ability to have the crowd & umpire noise with no commentators haunts me in its absence. Was so good.
Was glorious, just the game and the game noise and no distracting former players rabbiting on

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Years ago something went wrong on a NFL game so that the commentary didn't go through. The whole game was crowd AND sideline mikes. As I remember it, pre-web, fans exploded with absolute delight. Of course, they never let it happen again. Some though now have the quarterback coming through loud and clear and it does add a lot.
What I crave though is more behind the goals, just so I can see what they are doing to get into position for the forward 50 entry. They need to make it more like a at-the-game experience I think. The suits want to make it a effin highlight show with only the kicks shown. I want to experience the whole game.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Watched the Skycam game, wasn't too bad at all. They went back and forth with it and had good onfield miking. Started well with a great bit on the Steelers' second possession, cam was head level seemingly, in defensive backfield and both teams were screaming audibles (play changes). Fantastic sounds to go with the chaotic picture.
Beside using the wide angles, the onfield sounds have to added regardless of the 'colorful language'. Especially at inside 50 stoppages. Crowd noise is great, but to hear them shout out who covers who, who goes where would add so much more to the experience than ridiculous inside jokes, incessant contrived niggling and worn out schticks.
I actually also just watched 2009 v Bulldogs. Usual suspects as callers but no campiness. I honestly can't name them even though I recognized the voices except Matthews because they mostly just called the game. Also there were quite a few wide angle shots showing nearly entire field while play was live. Why'd they think the average non-passionate fan(who they seem to be targeting) would prefer what's currently presented to what they had used before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

troys8

Debutant
Oct 8, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
ITs fantastic in the NFL especially seeing how quick the game is after the snap. QB has no time. Just feels like Madden.
Would work for NRL I guess given the one direction game, but for AFL it would be difficul given the forward/back nature of the game, and the potential of a quick kick hitting the camera. Imagine the melts if that happened in a GF.

Its been trialled in teh cricket but again would hate to see the ball be called dead after it hit a camera.

Years ago something went wrong on a NFL game so that the commentary didn't go through. The whole game was crowd AND sideline mikes. As I remember it, pre-web, fans exploded with absolute delight. Of course, they never let it happen again. Some though now have the quarterback coming through loud and clear and it does add a lot.
What I crave though is more behind the goals, just so I can see what they are doing to get into position for the forward 50 entry. They need to make it more like a at-the-game experience I think. The suits want to make it a effin highlight show with only the kicks shown. I want to experience the whole game.
Then you could hear gems like this regularly from dazbroncos favourite player

Watched the Skycam game, wasn't too bad at all. They went back and forth with it and had good onfield miking. Started well with a great bit on the Steelers' second possession, cam was head level seemingly, in defensive backfield and both teams were screaming audibles (play changes). Fantastic sounds to go with the chaotic picture.
Beside using the wide angles, the onfield sounds have to added regardless of the 'colorful language'. Especially at inside 50 stoppages. Crowd noise is great, but to hear them shout out who covers who, who goes where would add so much more to the experience than ridiculous inside jokes, incessant contrived niggling and worn out schticks.
I actually also just watched 2009 v Bulldogs. Usual suspects as callers but no campiness. I honestly can't name them even though I recognized the voices except Matthews because they mostly just called the game. Also there were quite a few wide angle shots showing nearly entire field while play was live. Why'd they think the average non-passionate fan(who they seem to be targeting) would prefer what's currently presented to what they had used before?
Note the 10:30 moment

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
ITs fantastic in the NFL especially seeing how quick the game is after the snap. QB has no time. Just feels like Madden.
Would work for NRL I guess given the one direction game, but for AFL it would be difficul given the forward/back nature of the game, and the potential of a quick kick hitting the camera. Imagine the melts if that happened in a GF.

Its been trialled in teh cricket but again would hate to see the ball be called dead after it hit a camera.
Totally agree, wouldn't work for Aus Rules. They mentioned it took over 120 man hours to install the thing as well.

Still would like more views from behind goals.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
As a former northwesterner and fan of the Seahawks since their inception.....
blowing_a_raspberry.jpg

though #7 did grow on me in his later years, but early on he was the enemy :)

As a former northwesterner and fan of the Seahawks since their inception.....
blowing_a_raspberry.jpg

though #7 did grow on me in his later years, but early on he was the enemy :)
Well then.. you have seen some dark dark decades ain’t ya...

Go Broncos

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Think I’ll just casually follow NE , been working out well these last few years :)

but yeah can’t really get into NFL

But when Brady finally retires and they fall off the cliff, will they retool or go full rebuild? :p

Its funny how what team one follows get determined. I follow Geelong because I was attracted to their style of play and the interesting characters they had playing, no idea about history and obviously no personal connections. As a boy I followed the Minnesota Vikings because all my family comes from northern part of the state, but gave them up when they moved to a dome to play.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Now this is a highlight reel. The AFL needs better films that bring the average fan onto the field. With TV, night games etal, fans are distanced away from the real action. I especially like the sounds. They make the game real for me, not just another show. I'm not talking about listening to the coaches box during the game, but highlights and replays should include it. During live games definitely more game and crows sounds. I'd even like the ump's mike to always be on :)

Skycam was run for awhile back in 2004 during the footy, was expensive and generally s**t - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-skycam.186437/

Howvever the idea of being able to 'direct' your own coverage based on available video and audio inouts is inevitable and would be awesome, but I can't see it happening for ten years, in part because the technical challenge is probably a little too high right now - and also because the broadcasters would not be keen. The role of a tv sport, as well as tv in general, is to deliver a market to an advertiser, this is counter-productive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back