NFL style NRL comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fan of that proposed final structure.

We aren't large enough of a comp to entertain a conference style league.

Also, are rivalries really that strong here in Sydney like Bennett is saying? I've certainly not experienced much outside of the Souths vs Easts rivalry.

So interstate teams have to travel every weekend while Sydney teams get to stay home?

Sounds fair.

Brisbane doesn't need another team.

I don't like it, effectively it's a Sydney comp and then a separate interstate competition.

Apart from that, I don't think 18 teams all located on the Eastern seaboard (+NZ) warrants a conference system. It's not the US where they have 32 teams scattered across a huge country and it makes some geographical or logistical sense to do it.

Also, the NZ Warriors struggle already as a stand alone NZ team. Part of their player appeal is that they appeal to the best Kiwi based players that want to stay home. Adding a second NZ based team, the Warriors lose that appeal and both clubs would struggle significantly imo. How many quality Aussies go across to play in NZ? That makes up the highest percentage of the talent in the league, the Warriors rely on non-Australian talent and another club just robs them of half of that.

You've also got the standard conference problem and in this case is incredibly Sydney biased. This ensures 1 Sydney based team no matter how bad makes the GF, or vice versa one non Sydney based team makes it regardless. The best 4 teams could all be from one conference in a certain year, so the GF becomes meaningless. Not just that, but there's going to be some rubbish 4th placed teams making finals some years.

IMO clubs will be against it and it won't get up in the proposed format.

Not that I'm in favour of it but a Northern/Southern division would be better.

Northern - Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles, Roosters, Panthers , Eels

Southern - Rabbitohs Storm, Warriors, Dragons, Sharks, Tigers Raiders, Bulldogs

You've also got the standard conference problem and in this case is incredibly Sydney biased. This ensures 1 Sydney based team no matter how bad makes the GF, or vice versa one non Sydney based team makes it regardless. The best 4 teams could all be from one conference in a certain year, so the GF becomes meaningless. Not just that, but there's going to be some rubbish 4th placed teams making finals some years.

remember when Superleague had the conferences in the World Club Championship, and all the Aussie teams smashed the English/Euro teams because they were all rubbish? the conference table results are completely laughable for finals qualification.

remember when Superleague had the conferences in the World Club Championship, and all the Aussie teams smashed the English/Euro teams because they were all rubbish? the conference table results are completely laughable for finals qualification.

In the NFL teams have made the playoffs with losing records because their divisions are crap.

It's an interesting idea but I can't see it happening. I would think the interstate teams would be against it because they may feel their conference becomes secondary to the Sydney conference by the broadcasters and the media outlets, there aren't that many great rivalries within the interstate teams when compared to the Sydney teams.

The other big negative for me is you can't have an all Sydney Grand Final. If there is no chance of a Parramatta/Canterbury or a Parramatta/Manly or Souths/Roosters Grand Final then the competition almost becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea but I can't see it happening. I would think the interstate teams would be against it because they may feel their conference becomes secondary to the Sydney conference by the broadcasters and the media outlets, there aren't that many great rivalries within the interstate teams when compared to the Sydney teams.

The other big negative for me is you can't have an all Sydney Grand Final. If there is no chance of a Parramatta/Canterbury or a Parramatta/Manly or Souths/Roosters Grand Final then the competition almost becomes irrelevant.
Agreed, and ensuring there is always one Sydney team in the GF seems a bit token to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way to have a competition with divisions is to stay at 16 clubs and have 4 divisions of 4 or 20 clubs and have 4 divisions of 5.

North
Broncos
Cowboys
Titans
Newcastle
Moreton Bay - Redcliffe

Central

Manly
Roosters
Rabbits
Sharks
Bring in SGI

South

Melbourne
Warriors
Raiders
SGI - move to Central, bring in South Australia
2nd NZ

West

Dogs
Wests
Eels
Panthers
WA

22 games each for 4 clubs.
Play your division H&A 6 games and one other TBD H&A for 8 games then play the 2 other divisions for 8 games, total 22 games. Top 2 from each division finals.

22 games for 5 clubs. Play your div H&A for 8 games and the other division once for 15 games, total of 23 games.
Top 2 from each division plus 2 wildcards (next highest of any division).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back