Other NFL - Where Are They Now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
All are welcome to contribute to this thread. Intended as an on-going series.

Post info and a video of a historical player, especially one who has slid into obscurity.

I will start this series with....

---------------------------

Corey Dillon, RB, Bengals/Patriots.

Drafted in the second round by the Bengals in 1997, Dillon set a then-NFL rookie record for most rushing yards in a single game (246).

The Bengals at the time were cellar-dwellers, and Dillon was about their only star. He rushed for 1,000 yards in each of his first six seasons, making three Pro Bowls, and included setting a then-NFL record for most rushing yards in a single game (278) vs Denver. Previously, Walter Payton's mark (275) had stood since 1977.

Dillon was also noted for lamenting that the Bengals would never win the Lombardi under the Brown family ownership.

In 2003, injury and poor form, coupled with the emergence of Rudi Johnson, fueled a desire to trade Dillon while he still had value. The New England Patriots secured his services, giving up a 2nd round pick. He left the Bengals as the all-time franchise lead rusher with 8,016 yards.

In 2004, Dillon set personal and franchise records for the Patriots with 1,653 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. He would also have a great playoff series, and was a big reason the Patriots won their third Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl XXXIX with 106 all-purpose yards and a touchdown.

That would be the pinnacle of his career. In 2005 and 2006 injury continued to curtail Dillon, as well as the emergence of Laurence Maroney. But he STILL contributed with over 700 and 800 yards respectively in both seasons, including 12 and 13 touchdowns....the latter a new personal record.

Finally, in 2007, aged 32, the Patriots released Dillon, and he would ultimately retire that same year.

Corey Dillon would thus slide into obscurity it would seem. Fvcked if anyone knows what he's been up to since.

His wife filed for divorce in April 2010, and he was arrested on suspicion of assault to his wife in May 2010.

IRVING FRYAR

Ex-Patriot Irving Fryar Receives Five Years In Prison For Mortgage Scam

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. — Former NFL star Irving Fryar was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for his role in a mortgage scam.

His mother, Allene McGhee, was sentenced to three years’ probation in the same case. Both were convicted in August of applying for multiple mortgage loans in quick succession while using the same property as collateral.
Fryar, 53, was a star wide receiver at the University of Nebraska and played for the New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins in the NFL.
Fryar’s defense claimed he was the victim of a “con artist” who told him to carry out the scheme, a reference to William Barkdale. Barkdale pleaded guilty last year to a conspiracy charge and was the government’s key witness at Fryar’s trial. He is serving a 20-month prison sentence.
Fryar and McGhee, 74, rejected plea deals from state prosecutors that would have put him in jail for five years and her for three. They were found guilty of conspiracy and theft by deception charges.
Authorities said Fryar and his mother provided false wage information on her loan applications and claimed she earned thousands of dollars per month as an event coordinator for Fryar’s church. Authorities said the pair made just a few payments on four of the loans and banks eventually wrote the loans off as losses.
Fryar starred for Rancocas Valley High School in Mount Holly before playing at Nebraska and becoming the first overall pick in the 1984 NFL Draft by the Patriots. He now is the pastor of a church he founded, and for a time, he served as a high school football coach in Robbinsville.

Source: http://nesn.com/2015/10/ex-patriot-irving-fryar-gets-five-years-in-prison-for-mortgage-scam/

Jamarcus Russell plz, I'm concerned, no updates on wiki since 2013…

Did everyone know he is/was(?) Marshawn Lynch's cousin? Seriously, he is, i didn't know that til 5 minutes ago.

Ricky Williams doco 'Run Ricky Run' was the ultimate 'where are they now?'..walking away from the game at the heights of his powers while playing with the Dolphins to….

answer: living in a tent in Outback Australia. huge wtf moment.

Last edited:
Josh Freeman Playing in Complete Obscurity

By Jake Hamar
@Hockey_JakeRyan on Oct 16, 2015

GettyImages-107344089.0.jpg

J. Meric/Getty Images. Former Bucs QB is now playing in an unknown league.

Sometimes, you hear the oddest stories.

Like that Renee Zellweger has completely changed her face to look like another person. Or that Steven Tyler is trying to become a country music singer.

But one of the craziest stories I have heard in the past few weeks is that former Buccaneers QB Josh Freeman is playing football again.

In a league I have never heard of.

As a football fan, I pride myself on following all conferences and leagues, whether it be the NFL, ACC, SEC, Big 10, Mountain West, even the Canadian Football League. Heck, I was even a fan of the XFL before they decided to close up shop. If football is on, I'll watch it.

Freeman is playing for a team called the Brooklyn Bolts in the FXFL (Fall Experimental Football League), a league that has only 3 teams, with only a few players with NFL experience.

127942437.0.jpg

Just a few short years ago, Josh Freeman was supposed to be the next big thing in Tampa Bay. (Courtesy of Marc Serota/Getty Images)

It's sad that a player with so much potential and so much promise has fallen completely off the face of the football earth. This kid impressed many while he was at Kansas State, as both a passing threat (2,945 yards with 20 TD's) and a dangerous runner (404 yards with 14 TD's) in his final year in Manhattan.

His 2010 campaign with the Buccaneers was fantastic, as he threw for 25 TD's and only 6 interceptions. He led Tampa to their best record since 2007 as they finished 10-6, and barely missed the playoffs. I truly thought him being left off the NFC Pro Bowl team was a complete miscarriage of justice.

Why Was Josh Freeman Left off the 2010 NFC Pro Bowl?
Capture.PNG

Of course, the next year, he struggled mightily, throwing 22 picks while only passing for 16 touchdowns. He bounced back (sort of) in 2012, throwing for 27 TD's and 4,065 yards. When he wanted to be, Freeman was one of the league's most dangerous quarterbacks.

Notice how I said, when he wanted to be.

When the Greg Schiano regime (can we just forget that existed) took over, it looked like Freeman's days as starter were numbered. Schiano wanted to see more fire in Freeman, while the QB carried a more carefree and laid back attitude.

Their styles didn't mesh.

152094870.0.jpg

The Josh Freeman-Greg Schiano relationship in Tampa was a frosty one. (Courtesy of Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

As soon as Mike Glennon was available in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Buccaneers had their minds made up: Glennon was their QB and Freeman was yesterday's news. It soon became a toxic team environment, as the franchise started 0-3, Freeman missed the team photo, and started the season with a 59.3 QB rating.

It was time for the Buccaneers to wish Freeman the very best in his future endeavors.

He caught on with the Minnesota Vikings, but that didn't last too long either. He tried to catch on with the New York Giants, but that didn't happen either. In April, Freeman signed a one year deal with the Miami Dolphins, then was released, then signed again, and finally released again last month.

His career kinda reads like a country music song.

8779417.0.jpg

Josh Freeman's tenure with the Miami Dolphins was short, and went up and down like a roller coaster. (Courtesy of Steve Mitchell/USA Today Sports)

After his preseason flirt with the Dolphins, Freeman found himself once again out of a job. Needing to secure a gig, and realizing if he's out of sight he's out of mind, the former Bucs QB signed with a team in a league that no one outside of probably Brooklyn has ever heard of.

You would think that Freeman would flourish in a league with less than stellar competition, but that seems to not be the case.

Against the Florida Blacktips, Freeman was 9 for 16 with 32 yards, a TD, an interception and he fumbled five times. It was definitely a head scratcher to say the least.

His coach, Terry Shea, talked to the New York Times about Freeman's performance

"I've got to think that this was maybe just one of those nights where a perfect storm came together for him," Shea said. "It really controlled him."​

For a kid who seemed to have it all, it's a sad tale. The good news is that he's 27, and players bounce back all of the time. I mean, from what he brought to the table in 2010 and 2012, there's got to still be some gas left in the tank. Maybe a college or pro coach can reach out to him, and help him find his game again.

Will Josh Freeman's career be another ESPN 30 for 30 tale?

I sure hope not.

If you're gonna compile a list, best to show the guys who 'gave something to the game' instead of HYPE!!

Guys like Barry Foster who was drafted in the fifth round by the late Chuck Noll.

33659-3445074Bk.jpg

Still holds the franchise rushing record (1,690 rushing yards) in the one single season of 1992, Cowher's debut as HC. Injuries in following seasons was a setback for his career. Only 23 yards short of Emmitt Smith that season in capturing the Leading rusher title.

Unlike other players who waste their life / money, Barry Foster was more than resourceful. He invested it. Has a healthy growing family. One of the very few happy ending personally for a ex-player without a Championship ring. Barry Foster was Neil O'Donnell's fourth target in that ill-faded Conference Championship loss at Three Rivers to the Chargers in 1994.

If you're gonna compile a list, best to show the guys who 'gave something to the game' instead of HYPE!!

Guys like Barry Foster who was drafted in the fifth round by the late Chuck Noll.

33659-3445074Bk.jpg

Still holds the franchise rushing record (1,690 rushing yards) in the one single season of 1992, Cowher's debut as HC. Injuries in following seasons was a setback for his career. Only 23 yards short of Emmitt Smith that season in capturing the Leading rusher title.

Unlike other players who waste their life / money, Barry Foster was more than resourceful. He invested it. Has a healthy growing family. One of the very few happy ending personally for a ex-player without a Championship ring. Barry Foster was Neil O'Donnell's fourth target in that ill-faded Conference Championship loss at Three Rivers to the Chargers in 1994.
No one wants to read a happy story. We want the full car crash.

A Heisman finalist, Ryan Leaf was taken at pick 2 after Peyton Manning (no pressureo_O) & is considered one the greatest draft busts in NFL history, unfortunately things haven't got much better for Ryan, but at least he appears to have a sense of humour...

Ryan Leaf sentenced to five years on felony drug, burglary charges
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

June 19, 2012 9:54 pm ET
ryan_leaf_sentenced_06192012.jpg

We're not sure what to make of this Ryan Leaf expression, but it's something we won't see for quite a while. (AP)

At the end of March and the beginning of April, former No. 2 pick Ryan Leaf was arrested twice in a two-day span on separate burglary and drug charges.

In May, he pleaded guilty to a number of those charges, and now, he officially will serve a five-year sentence with the Montana Department of Corrections with at least 15 months spent in treatment facilities. The Great Falls Tribune writes that the rest of his sentence likely will include supervised community release.

More from the paper, where Leaf made a compelling statement to the court Tuesday.

Leaf said that he had caused a lot of pain to his family and his voice broke when he talked about what his recent behavior had caused them.

"They believe I've held them for ransom for 36 years, and I don't know why I should have to do that any more," he later said.

Leaf said he didn't want to undermine his attorney, who asked the judge to impose a sentence free of jail time, and said: "Five to ten years of Ryan-free drama for this community -- particularly for this nation -- would be pure bliss," he said.

"I'm lazy and dishonest and selfish," he later said. "These were behaviors I had before my addiction kicked in."

Hopefully for Leaf's sake, his mandated treatment will help him once he becomes a free man -- and will continue to help him for the rest of his life.

ok then… I give you Dave Meggett.. on this day, 1991, he was a member of the G-Men's 'Wide Right' Bowl Championship team. Also played for the J-E-T-S and made the 1990's All-time New England team.

cardboard-icons-david-meggett-back.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/1/21/5320000/david-meggett-criminal-history-profile

Woah!

Wasn't much a fan of the Giants back then but used to love watching him play, he and Mark Bavaro were the only players on the team I liked.

(and Bart Oates - because his card was in one of the first packs of football cards I got my hands on).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell us a little bit about what you're up to these days, which we know includes being on the board of a bank, dealing with your horses and helping coach your daughters.

Delhomme: "The horses are every day. I mean, that's an everyday deal that I'm knee-deep in. We race strictly in Louisiana, but I do a lot of buying and selling in Kentucky. As a matter of fact, I'm flying up to Kentucky and selling one this Sunday night and again later on next week in one of the largest horse sales in the world.

"So I'm constantly doing that, and then I'm on a bank board (Mid-South Bank). We're about a $2 billion bank. We have 58 locations in Louisiana and in Houston, Dallas, Tyler - all those areas in Texas. I'm on the loan committee there, and that's about a once-a-week deal. I stay pretty busy."

And what about your coaching?

Delhomme: "My daughters are 12 (Lauren) and 8 (Lindsey), and I'm coaching them in sports. We're about to start basketball. We just finished up volleyball and we're about to finish up soccer. … It's fun, man. The years go by fast, no doubt."

caldwell.jpg

Ex-NFL receiver Reche Caldwell in running for worst criminal ever

Reche Caldwell was a fair-to-middling NFL wide receiver. But as a criminal, he was truly awful.

In a lengthy takeout feature, ESPN has detailed the strange crime spree that followed Caldwell's career in the league for seven years. Let's just say that he might not have been special on the field, but he certainly was better at that than he was trying to break the law.

Although Caldwell's post college peak came when he became Tom Brady's most trusted receiver on the 2006 New England Patriots, it was one of the least-talented groups Brady ever threw to — and yet that team still almost made the Super Bowl that year. But it was Caldwell and his two key drops in the AFC championship game loss to the Indianapolis Colts, who went on to win the Super Bowl, that defined his career. A season later, after wallowing with the Washington Redskins, Caldwell was out of the NFL.

From there, he went back to Tampa, where he grew up and was still revered to a degree, and opened a not-so-secret gambling ring. Caldwell got in deep, and soon the word got out that he and a large crew of his pals were betting on — among other things — NFL games. Perhaps the fact that it was stationed right near an elementary school wasn't the brightest of ideas in the first place, or the fact that Caldwell parked his bright red jeep out front almost daily.

"I see now, yup, not the greatest location for that kind of thing," Caldwell said with a chuckle. "Too big, too fast. I laugh at my stuff too. What else can you do? I have to laugh. I really thought I was some kind of a criminal? All I know is, everyone kept telling me, 'The police don't care about this stuff, you'll never get caught,' and the next thing I know I'm headed to prison, saying goodbye to my kids, wondering: 'What happened to me?'"

Caldwell and his buddies got sloppy and soon started taking bets from undercover cops. As Caldwell was watching his former team, the San Diego Chargers, beat the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2013 postseason, the betting parlor was being raided and Caldwell detained, a half-eaten sandwich ripped from his hand and the front door flattened by a tank.

One day you're catching touchdowns from Brady. The next you're being interrogated by a bitter FBI agent with a Boston accent.

"You're that guy who cost Tommy anudda Soupa Bowl," Caldwell said, doing his best impression before turning serious. "What else can I do? It's not like I was trying to drop those passes."

After being released, Caldwell clearly was undaunted. He was busted again — this time for searching "MDMA-Molly-China" on the internet, ordering what he assumed were illegal drugs, having almost five pounds of the stuff shipped to his door, tracking the package online and then signing his real name for it when it arrived. Naturally, a SWAT team was lying in wait. Once more, Caldwell had been pinched.

He thought: "Aw, man, not again."

But yes, Caldwell was sent to prison for that, too. And he's serving a 27-month sentence, which his attorney said looked like it actually caused relief in his client when he was sentenced. After all, crime wasn't paying off too well. Caldwell's mother agreed.

"Good lord that boy was a bad criminal," she said, "and thank Jesus for that."

He's now telling his story and sounds like a man who realized his many missteps. Caldwell is eligible to be moved to a Tampa-based work-release facility, where he can be closer to his son and perhaps celebrate his little brother's Super Bowl victory as a member of the Denver Broncos back in February (Andre Caldwell is now with the Detroit Lions).

"I'm not gonna blame football or concussions like everybody else for my mistakes," Reche said. "I don't blame my education or my hometown or my family. I have a great family. I had a great childhood. I grew up in a great place. This is about losing my way, being around bad people and making bad choices, and that's all on me."

Future Hall of Fame LB Patrick Willis now Silicon Valley exec

When former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis retired from the National Football League at the age of just 30 following the 2014 season, it caught a lot of people by surprise.

Why would Willis walk away from a game he was dominating after just eight years? His financial security aside, retiring while at the height of your profession is something we rarely see.

Now, more than a year removed from calling it quits on his NFL career, Willis himself is thriving as a professional in California’s famed Silicon Valley.

Willis has joined forces with tech savant Eren Niazi to lead a company called “Open Source Storage,” an infrastructure solutions outlet.

Currently serving as the executive vice president, Willis isn’t just a big name for Open Source Storage. He’s actually played a big role in the advancement of the startup.

According to Mashable, the company’s current vice president of marketing, Carrie Pendolino, was interviewed by both Niazi and Willis before being hired on to that role. In fact, Willis is involved in interviewing most of the company’s potential hires.

For Willis, this change of career was something he saw coming after hanging up his cleats.

“People always told me when I was growing up that if you want to be something great, you have to be this physical specimen that can jump up to here and all that,” Willis told Mashable. “For me, this is an opportunity to be able to tell young kids that you can be more than just a physical specimen to be great.”

Two months after he retired, Willis signed on full-time with Open Source Storage. This came after he had met Niazi while rehabbing from a football-related injuries months before.

Interestingly, their friendship began without Niazi knowing who Willis was.

“Usually when people walk up to me, they kind of already know who I am and have some motive,” Willis said. “But he (Niazi) just insisted like, ‘Let me help you with that.’ Then he just took off. I thought it was cool.”

Open Source Storage has worked with companies such as Facebook and Shutterfly in the past. It’s a growing entity and a major player in the heart of Silicon Valley, where Willis himself last suited up in the NFL.

This just goes to show us how football is not the end all be all for those who have their sights set on more than just the gridiron.

It’s definitely a success story from someone who walked away from a game he loved in order to live a life he loved more.

Watched the 30 for 30 on Bears '85 team. Enjoyed it. Jim McMahon was a crazy bastard as were a few of his teammates. Partying Thursday nights and then for the SB.

They probably would have won back to back if that Packer didn't blatantly maim him behind the play. Holy s**t you will not see anything more remotely dirty on a field.

Now apparently suffering from fist stage dementia according to hos doctors. Strange he seemed to have a very good memory of plays/players going back over 30 years ago.

Future Hall of Fame LB Patrick Willis now Silicon Valley exec

When former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis retired from the National Football League at the age of just 30 following the 2014 season, it caught a lot of people by surprise.

Why would Willis walk away from a game he was dominating after just eight years? His financial security aside, retiring while at the height of your profession is something we rarely see.

Now, more than a year removed from calling it quits on his NFL career, Willis himself is thriving as a professional in California’s famed Silicon Valley.

Willis has joined forces with tech savant Eren Niazi to lead a company called “Open Source Storage,” an infrastructure solutions outlet.

Currently serving as the executive vice president, Willis isn’t just a big name for Open Source Storage. He’s actually played a big role in the advancement of the startup.

According to Mashable, the company’s current vice president of marketing, Carrie Pendolino, was interviewed by both Niazi and Willis before being hired on to that role. In fact, Willis is involved in interviewing most of the company’s potential hires.

For Willis, this change of career was something he saw coming after hanging up his cleats.

“People always told me when I was growing up that if you want to be something great, you have to be this physical specimen that can jump up to here and all that,” Willis told Mashable. “For me, this is an opportunity to be able to tell young kids that you can be more than just a physical specimen to be great.”

Two months after he retired, Willis signed on full-time with Open Source Storage. This came after he had met Niazi while rehabbing from a football-related injuries months before.

Interestingly, their friendship began without Niazi knowing who Willis was.

“Usually when people walk up to me, they kind of already know who I am and have some motive,” Willis said. “But he (Niazi) just insisted like, ‘Let me help you with that.’ Then he just took off. I thought it was cool.”

Open Source Storage has worked with companies such as Facebook and Shutterfly in the past. It’s a growing entity and a major player in the heart of Silicon Valley, where Willis himself last suited up in the NFL.

This just goes to show us how football is not the end all be all for those who have their sights set on more than just the gridiron.

It’s definitely a success story from someone who walked away from a game he loved in order to live a life he loved more.

I thought you told me that Patrick Willis wont ever be a hall of famer? Which begs the question is he really working in Silicon Valley and does he really have a company called Open Source Storage?

Good on Patrick though, he's made a hell of a life for himself out of where he has come from, love the man. :thumbsu:

Watched the 30 for 30 on Bears '85 team. Enjoyed it. Jim McMahon was a crazy bastard as were a few of his teammates. Partying Thursday nights and then for the SB.

They probably would have won back to back if that Packer didn't blatantly maim him behind the play. Holy s**t you will not see anything more remotely dirty on a field.

Now apparently suffering from fist stage dementia according to hos doctors. Strange he seemed to have a very good memory of plays/players going back over 30 years ago.
The follow on from his concussion issues is he is having a treatment which I call the Tap-Tap treatment. It is a chiropractic treatment that ''works'' on tapping the neck to 'drain' the built up fluid. Some of the MRIs seem to show some relief.

Another view of the miracle treatment

All accept the possibility that new discoveries can be made. They remain skeptical, though, of anything not conducted by licensed physicians and submitted for scientific replication by peers. Also noted was the existence of placebo effect — that McMahon could indeed be feeling like he’s thinking more clearly, but only due to the mind’s powerful ability to perceive what it wants

So so so many of these types of players, shooting stars and then....who knows what....

Similar kind of story but 3rd all time for rushing yards in a game, was pleasantly surprised when i went to look up the game on yt and found this, pretty cool how they put this one game in perspective and all the all time greats around him on the list, good lil story:

Similar kind of story but 3rd all time for rushing yards in a game, was pleasantly surprised when i went to look up the game on yt and found this, pretty cool how they put this one game in perspective and all the all time greats around him on the list, good lil story:

I think I drafted him in alpha

Do I recognize that voice at 5.00?? AmericanCrow any comment? Or is that a typical Cleveland voice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back