NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They weren’t far off last year.
Win the last game against Boro & they were playing finals.

Thereabouts with a big scalp or 2.
They were a long long way off it last year. 6 points off 5th. It was realistically 10 points if round 17 wasn't called off. There percentage was horrible. They just got over the line against the bottom 3 teams and got absolutely smacked on a number of occasions.

I think they I'll be around that 6th-9th again.

They were a long long way off it last year. 6 points off 5th. It was realistically 10 points if round 17 wasn't called off. There percentage was horrible. They just got over the line against the bottom 3 teams and got absolutely smacked on a number of occasions.

nosecondprize agree, test will come if they get injuries to their top 6-8 players as their depth is questionable.
Both 2’s and 19’s were very average in 2022

Might have seemed a long way off but fact is come R18 they could have played finals if they were good enough.

Missed the opportunity to grab a spot & they may be better off list wise in 2023.
Jury still out there but like I said going to be thereabouts, you say between 6th - 9th.

I think we’re on the same page!!!!

Last edited:

Interested to see how Heidelberg replace Minogue. Would think they will roll out a big recruit to capitalise on where their list is at.

Hope they do.

Minogue's don't grow on tress unfortunately but rather than bringing in a big recruit that could potentially upset the applecart I think it will just mean the goal kicking duties get spread a bit more. I'd expect to see Sier and Gilmore to play more of a forward role and potentially Barzen who in my mind is just as good as Minogue overhead but because he plays in the backline rarely gets a mention but just ask anyone that follows Heidelberg closely and they will tell you he is a gun.

Can Banyule push for a top 5 spot?
Heidelberg, Bundoora, Mont will play finals
WPL, North, Boro and Banyule in the next bracket
Macleod and Hursty to survive
Whittlesea favorites to be relegated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banyule is not in that 2nd bracket. They recruited not bad. But Div 2 was ordinary last year and they needed to recruit well just to stay up.

At the moment I have them above Whittlesea and that's it. They haven't played a single Div 1 game yet and until I see them play against Div 1 clubs, I'm not putting them anywhere near the likes of Greensborough or North.

Boro and North make finals for me.

Banyule should go alright but a massive jump into D1 big ask for finals football.

Quite a few lists have seemed to stagnate or go backwards so who knows

very good pick up but he's not a better version of Bell.

Riddle also arguably the best full back in the competition over the last decade. Another 4 or 5 have left too.
Yes he is. Easily better then Bell at This stage of careers. They are upgrading. There's a reason Newnes played 16 AFL games last year and Bell was playing in the NFNL.
They've also picked up about 4 or 5 others. 2 ruckmen. A midfielder from the amatuers. A few others who are on VFL lists. And are hoping Trudgeon plays alot more.

They will be just fine.

Banyule is not in that 2nd bracket. They recruited not bad. But Div 2 was ordinary last year and they needed to recruit well just to stay up.

At the moment I have them above Whittlesea and that's it. They haven't played a single Div 1 game yet and until I see them play against Div 1 clubs, I'm not putting them anywhere near the likes of Greensborough or North.
You seem to be a bit of a Banyule pessimist. They are in the middle tier for sure, their list is quite talented and I think you are under selling them. Ahead of whittlesea, hurstbridge, same line as macleod in my opinion and could be thereabouts with west preston. Let’s not forget hurstbridge beat bundoora this year. All it takes is for Banyule to upset one of the other teams and anything can happen.

You seem to be a bit of a Banyule pessimist. They are in the middle tier for sure, their list is quite talented and I think you are under selling them. Ahead of whittlesea, hurstbridge, same line as macleod in my opinion and could be thereabouts with west preston. Let’s not forget hurstbridge beat bundoora this year. All it takes is for Banyule to upset one of the other teams and anything can happen.
I think he is a realist rather than a pessimist. Div 2 footy is a mile away from Div 1.

I think he is a realist rather than a pessimist. Div 2 footy is a mile away from Div 1.
I agree with you to an extent - The DIV 1 games that I saw with the top 4 sides were a class above
Didnt see a lot of the bottom 4 sides but I did see games with Hurstbridge & Whittlesea and neither of them were better than top DIV 2 sides
Based on your logic do you think Northcote Park goes straight back to DIV 1?

Its early and many have strong opinions which is what the internet is for. After looking at 2022 and looking at ins and outs here is where my crystal ball is at.

Tigers, Bulls and Magpies to be top three. Boro, Dogs and Roosters to fight for last two spots for finals. Bridges for mine are gunna upset a few and remain clear of relegation but just out of finals. Kangaroos and Bears have got some ins but worry about both their depth (there are many very dismissive of Bears, I feel when they came across to NFNL they planned Div 1 from day 1 they will stay up thats IMO) Eagles, well looks like a tough season. Again, it's all crystal ball stuff, but really the reason BigFooty exists and with 70 days until we see action and maybe more recruiting, I am sure there will be many opinions, its what makes the world go round.

Tigers

Magpies
Bulls

Boro
Dogs
Roosters

Bridges

Kangaroos
Bears

Eagles

In the end a very similar ladder to 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back