NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. The way 2’s footy is going it’s very quickly becoming an under 19’s team comp anyway. A lot of clubs are really struggling to field reserves and are relying on 19’s to double up. You say there’s 24 under 19’s teams..I would ask 2 questions.
1. How many of these 24 are strong sustainable and viable teams?
2. Where will the majority of these 19’s kids end up playing anyway? In Div 1, A great deal of them end up playing senior footy at Div 2 clubs because they don’t want to play reserves at a Div 1 club.

The facts are across metro Melbourne footy clubs are struggling to get numbers. Especially in reserves. Combining 19’s and reserves is a viable option that will ease the burden on clubs to field teams.
So combine 19s and reserves and you have 40-50 players. So 15-20 miss out on a game each week? You think that's the solution? Players will walk away in droves.

So combine 19s and reserves and you have 40-50 players. So 15-20 miss out on a game each week? You think that's the solution? Players will walk away in droves.
My suggestion was to have thirds. The blokes who don’t really want to train as much but still enjoy a kick.

Let’s be honest most clubs have 10-15 keen 19s

And 10/15 keen reserves

If they are lucky. The rest are talked into playing or turn up late every year

The combo of 20/30 19s/reserves blokes who actually train and care could play together and then bottom 20-30 who are talked into playing can play in the thirds.

How many sides aren’t posting full 19s and full reserves sides these days? Plenty if not majority. Imo just diluting 2 sides.

Just an idea but things need change

My suggestion was to have thirds. The blokes who don’t really want to train as much but still enjoy a kick.

Let’s be honest most clubs have 10-15 keen 19s

And 10/15 keen reserves

If they are lucky. The rest are talked into playing or turn up late every year

The combo of 20/30 19s/reserves blokes who actually train and care could play together and then bottom 20-30 who are talked into playing can play in the thirds.

How many sides aren’t posting full 19s and full reserves sides these days? Plenty if not majority. Imo just diluting 2 sides.

Just an idea but things need change
I think this is similar to what the Essendon league has done. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have seniors, reserves and thirds and their last age restricted level is under 18.5. From what I can tell the thirds play exclusively on Friday nights too which could also be of benefit with numbers, Saturday work and other previously mentioned factors

• Under 18s
  • Friday nights only
  • Merge EDFL, NFNL, EFL
  • Grade them into best divisions
  • Play some games at neutral, state league venues (Vic Park, Windy Hill (Not sure about lights) Ikon Park, Highgate, Box Hill)

Make it a proper under 18s competition of the best kids from metro Melbourne. Try something new,

The NFNL Under 19s competition on its own isn't going to last. This would actually be a really good standard of football.

By changing it to Under 18s you are giving the reserves/seniors at least one year, potentially two more years of access to these players once they turn 19. At the moment plenty are playing three years of 19s.

• Under 18s
  • Friday nights only
  • Merge EDFL, NFNL, EFL
  • Grade them into best divisions
  • Play some games at neutral, state league venues (Vic Park, Windy Hill (Not sure about lights) Ikon Park, Highgate, Box Hill)

Make it a proper under 18s competition of the best kids from metro Melbourne. Try something new,

The NFNL Under 19s competition on its own isn't going to last. This would actually be a really good standard of football.

By changing it to Under 18s you are giving the reserves/seniors at least one year, potentially two more years of access to these players once they turn 19. At the moment plenty are playing three years of 19s.
The travel would be insane. Berwick vs Craigieburn for example.

Could try what the NTAFL do. Reserves start at 2pm, womens play at 4pm and seniors at 6:30pm. Don't know you'd put women's between men's games but Reserves could start at 3pm and seniors at 5:30 and play twilight games.

Good from a club perspective as people will stick around on Saturday night.

Good for Ressies and Senior players who have to work on a Saturday until 1ish.

Bad from the point of view that clubs would either have to come up with funds to upgrade their lights or have to try and convince the Councils to chip in.

Could also play a 'Match of the Round' at Preston City Oval if available and administration could broker a deal!

Could try what the NTAFL do. Reserves start at 2pm, womens play at 4pm and seniors at 6:30pm. Don't know you'd put women's between men's games but Reserves could start at 3pm and seniors at 5:30 and play twilight games.

Bad from the point of view that clubs would either have to come up with funds to upgrade their lights or have to try and convince the Councils to chip in.

Could also play a 'Match of the Round' at Preston City Oval if available and administration could broker a deal!
Hard for blokes to give up 18 Saturday nights for a year

Most local footy players do their best work after 6:30pm and it’s not on a footy field

Tips for tomorrow

Hursty vs Mont: big test for the Bridges who have been in good form. No Wale-Buxton helps but Mont will be too good. Mont by 23 points

Macleod vs Whittlesea, both teams have been poor in 2023. Macleod get Hurley back and with Murphy out for the Eagles, Macleod to get the win by 21 points

Greensborough vs Banyule is an intriguing match up. The Boro lost 2 on the trot while the bears have been great with a win over west Preston last week. Can the bears get another win, topping they woo by 7 points

West Preston vs Nth Heidelberg, both teams have been inconsistent, not sure either team is in good form, will go with the Roosters at home by 9 points.

Bundoora vs Heidelberg, 6 changes for the tigers but they have depth, one thing that the Bulls don’t have this year. Tigers to repeat grand final victory, winning by 17 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable score between west and north.
West kicked the first two goals of the game, from there it was a total reversal.

They looked underdone, Saad went down just b4 HT but by then North were full of run & 6 up.

Post HT it was 15 to 3 & kicked 9 in the last. West were cooked.

Last edited:
Imagine if Macleod kicked straight.. Whittlesea unlikely to win a game

i watched Macleod vs Whittlesea yesterday and i can assure you Whittlesea wouldn't get within 50 points of Eltham or diamond Creek in division 2 after seeing both of them play earlier this season.

What has happened at Whittlesea? They were embarrassing yesterday.

i watched Macleod vs Whittlesea yesterday and i can assure you Whittlesea wouldn't get within 50 points of Eltham or diamond Creek in division 2 after seeing both of them play earlier this season.

What has happened at Whittlesea? They were embarrassing yesterday.
I'm pretty sure they'd fair alot better in Div 2 then you think. They just lost to Hurtsbridge and Mont and Bundoora both beat them by 60. They are poor, but let's not get into this trap of comparing to Div 2 teams.

I'm pretty sure they'd fair alot better in Div 2 then you think. They just lost to Hurtsbridge and Mont and Bundoora both beat them by 60. They are poor, but let's not get into this trap of comparing to Div 2 teams.
I know its only a practice match but Eltham beat them by about 12 goals last practice game before season start

I know its only a practice match but Eltham beat them by about 12 goals last practice game before season start
Doesn’t take a brain surgeon to know Eltham have a better list atm than Whittlesea, but that’s why we have relegation and promotion.

Whittlesea have deeper issues, under 17s flags to folding your 19s says it all.

Doesn’t take a brain surgeon to know Eltham have a better list atm than Whittlesea, but that’s why we have relegation and promotion.

Whittlesea have deeper issues, under 17s flags to folding your 19s says it all.
10571z just looked and they have a 17’s in blue, 16’s in blue and 15’s in red division (basically Div 1, Div 1 and Div 2). Junior numbers look very strong so a few seasons back in Division 2 to regroup and try again.

Always had great admiration for both Hurstbridge and Whittlesea who are playing division 1 footy, some division 2 clubs should be embarrassed that they have been in division. 2 for so long.

The Eagles will battle it out for the year, and be relegated, let’s hope whoever wins promotion is ready for the step up like Banyule have so far this year.

I think its a relevant discussion considering they just lost to the 9th placed team by 20 goals.

Watch my first game at Greensborough for many years... what's the go with the ground, 4 rounds in and it's in terrible condition. Has any work been done on that ground in the last 10 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back