NFNL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I have already had players enquire whether they can transfer to a comp that is still going and I know of 2 other clubs that have had the same question asked. AFL Vic needs to cancel transfers or run the risk of a player mass exodus to other leagues and weakening the standard of the league for years to come. We already struggle for under 19’s and if players move to vafa or EDFL the NFL will be in serious strife!

I have already had players enquire whether they can transfer to a comp that is still going and I know of 2 other clubs that have had the same question asked. AFL Vic needs to cancel transfers or run the risk of a player mass exodus to other leagues and weakening the standard of the league for years to come. We already struggle for under 19’s and if players move to vafa or EDFL the NFL will be in serious strife!
Mate we know what they will do in regards to that issue ..... ZERO .... as you said they need to be very careful otherwise the league will be a slow sinking ship .. then again they may just jump from it ( the sinking ship ) as the care factor is nil on their behalf . If they did they would have been commenting on their belief rather than copying and pasting to their website each and every time their was a change to things. That in turn was forwarded to clubs without any addition just a standard release . Hope they get on the front door very soon or else they’ll find them selves living up for the govt handouts too !

Mate we know what they will do in regards to that issue ..... ZERO .... as you said they need to be very careful otherwise the league will be a slow sinking ship .. then again they may just jump from it ( the sinking ship ) as the care factor is nil on their behalf . If they did they would have been commenting on their belief rather than copying and pasting to their website each and every time their was a change to things. That in turn was forwarded to clubs without any addition just a standard release . Hope they get on the front door very soon or else they’ll find them selves living up for the govt handouts too !

so much for a unified approach from metro leagues. I understand clubs wiped there hands and took the it’s too hard approach but I feel like there should have been more done in regards to discussion around alternatives to keep players on the park.

the prospect of players transferring out or being given a permit to another league is a disaster for the future of this league. Essentially we will be giving our best players, committed trainers, most passionate players and our under 19’s trials at other clubs for 9 games. You can’t tell me that those clubs won’t be doing everything they can to keep them there once the season ends. For every club who thinks that shutting the door on 2020 and expecting to open it In 2021 looking for something that looks like 2019 will be in for a huge shock!

Don’t get me started in the prospect of cashed up clubs finding ways around reduced salary caps either 🤦‍♂️

is it cricket season yet?

so much for a unified approach from metro leagues. I understand clubs wiped there hands and took the it’s too hard approach but I feel like there should have been more done in regards to discussion around alternatives to keep players on the park.

the prospect of players transferring out or being given a permit to another league is a disaster for the future of this league. Essentially we will be giving our best players, committed trainers, most passionate players and our under 19’s trials at other clubs for 9 games. You can’t tell me that those clubs won’t be doing everything they can to keep them there once the season ends. For every club who thinks that shutting the door on 2020 and expecting to open it In 2021 looking for something that looks like 2019 will be in for a huge shock!

Don’t get me started in the prospect of cashed up clubs finding ways around reduced salary caps either 🤦‍♂️

Wish the league are as passionate as you are about their own backyard ... let’s see what eventuates whether they’re are seen to care about the league or not

There is no other comps going ahead at this stage? I doubt very much that they will either. So it won’t be an issue. Councils are having a massive say in this, they can’t guarantee they can police the crowds and social distancing without fencing off every ground, which is nearly impossible to do. So they won’t give the green light

Its sad they have gone for the easy option here & no reason they couldn't have told us earlier if this is the way its been heading. Asking (or demanding) fee's is just greedy & pathetic!

Its sad they have gone for the easy option here & no reason they couldn't have told us earlier if this is the way its been heading. Asking (or demanding) fee's is just greedy & pathetic!
As I’ve said before if they called it earlier they would have been lining up at Centrelink but nope looking out for themselves ... AND TO ASK for fees is disgusting

As I’ve said before if they called it earlier they would have been lining up at Centrelink but nope looking out for themselves ... AND TO ASK for fees is disgusting
Have the league asked for more fees? To be fair I think they pay the league quarterly, so I’d say most clubs would have paid the first instalment. Not sure if they are able to get that back or not? But they won’t be getting anymore that’s for sure!!

Have the league asked for more fees? To be fair I think they pay the league quarterly, so I’d say most clubs would have paid the first instalment. Not sure if they are able to get that back or not? But they won’t be getting anymore that’s for sure!!
Sorry may have written wrong I was only going by a previous post a to fees .. if they have paid already surely the league in their good will 😂😂would refund clubs

As I’ve said before if they called it earlier they would have been lining up at Centrelink but nope looking out for themselves ... AND TO ASK for fees is disgus

In my humble opinion the league have made the appropriate and obvious decision to cancel the 2020 season. With limited spectators, virtually no canteen or bar, lack of sponsors , memberships down etc and players and coaches expecting at least partial payment, it would have been a disaster for most clubs. The situation with clearances needs to resolved.
As for the NFNL staff looking after their own interests I think if you care to make an inquiry ,you will find that they have been taking their leave entitlements and have been on the basic government jobkeeper handouts since that subsidy started. The monthly club installments are spread over the season in equal installments . My club have paid the first instalment and have no issue with that.
Hopefully the juniors can still get a run as the circumstances for them are quite different to the management of a senior club

Also just interested to know why the league don’t make their OWN statement rather Than a joint one ? Interesting but time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right decision has been made.

Interesting that the other metro comps haven't pulled the pin. Will they block transfers?

You surely can't stop someone from going to play footy, unless they are contracted. Interesting times!
Even contracted players should be cleared. If you can’t offer a season and another league can, no grounds for clearance to be denied.

I can’t see the VAFA and EDFL waiting until June 22nd to make a decision. Would have to be done in the next week I’d say. Only reason I say that is because the next step is sorting out the transfers and what they look like for the rest of this year and next.
The league and the council have made the right decision on senior footy this year.
VAFA are talking about going it alone and start a season. That could only go one of 2 ways:
1. They start up and goes to plan, crowds allowed later in the year and a huge success
2. They start up, someone contracts the virus and impacts the comp and community , clubs struggle financially, clubs fold and the comp is up s**t creek

I suppose it’s a risk, whether they are willing to take that or not, who knows?

I personally think all the other metro comps are waiting for the dominos to fall. Now that Northern and Eastern have made a decision (jointly), others will now follow suit.

I think the VAFA will be the only metro competition that gets up and running and I can't see many players jumping ship.

The quarterly fees are another issue. The Executive might be in for a shock if they think clubs are going to pay their salaries with the competition in lockdown. Council rates should also be pro rata from handover to lockdown

I personally think all the other metro comps are waiting for the dominos to fall. Now that Northern and Eastern have made a decision (jointly), others will now follow suit.

I think the VAFA will be the only metro competition that gets up and running and I can't see many players jumping ship.

The quarterly fees are another issue. The Executive might be in for a shock if they think clubs are going to pay their salaries with the competition in lockdown. Council rates should also be pro rata from handover to lockdown
Yeh spot on. I actually can’t even see the VAFA getting up. If the main reason on not getting a season up is the health and well being of players and the community, what makes them different? They would still have to deal with social distancing, you can’t fence off public areas, so how do you restrict crowds, what if someone contracts it? Good on them for having a crack, but not sure it’s realsitic.

Yeh spot on. I actually can’t even see the VAFA getting up. If the main reason on not getting a season up is the health and well being of players and the community, what makes them different? They would still have to deal with social distancing, you can’t fence off public areas, so how do you restrict crowds, what if someone contracts it? Good on them for having a crack, but not sure it’s realsitic.

Id guess with the NFLs intention of still running a junior season , ‘Health & Wellbeing’ is not the issue..
All points to one reason & one reason only $$$$....

Id guess with the NFLs intention of still running a junior season , ‘Health & Wellbeing’ is not the issue..

Definitely the Crux of it for the Senior clubs is the viability of running a profitable business. My estimates is around $15k per week out the door x 9 weeks, outgoings approx $125k-$150k for the remainder of the season. Incomings - well that's just pure guesswork at the moment.

Kids are allowed back at school on medical advice, so I presume it would be a lot easier to run that Comp with restrictions. And if money and survival of clubs is one of the main reasons, what’s the issue?

Kids are allowed back at school on medical advice, so I presume it would be a lot easier to run that Comp with restrictions. And if money and survival of clubs is one of the main reasons, what’s the issue?

Easier to run?
you been to Greensborough, Monty
sth Morang , Mernda , Millpark etc on a Sunday ?
Can be 8-games over the course of 6-8 hrs ..
Nothing to do with ‘Wellbeing’...
And money wise , not sure there’s many clubs out there who run under the banner of ‘ 1 club ‘.
Not many junior clubs hand over their $$ to the senior club..

Exactly, can’t say health is an issue when they are planning for juniors to go ahead. If the health concerns were that big then all footy should be cancelled by the health department and the decision taken out of the leagues hands.

It’s a piss weak decision. The other metro leagues have released statements distancing themselves and will release roadmaps around what is required from government over the next few weeks. They may not get up but great leadership to push on. The NFL has done zero to provide any guidance and communication has always been slow and often days behind the rest of the leagues. The simple fact they never allowed for clubs to train despite government advice clearing the way to do so is a clear example of there lack of leadership and foresight. The money from the sale of league headquarters will go towards paying McDougall’s salary instead of being used to give back to the clubs by assisting subsidising affiliation fees.

This absolute nonsense about health and safety is comical, the NFL is not a a health expert and should be guided by the appropriate governance. The medical advice from government was training in 2 groups of 20 is safe. In 3 weeks contact may have been allowed. What happens to the thousands of women and men aged between 18-35 who would normally play each weekend? I’d love to find out what happens to there mental health and the problems/ trouble they will find themselves in.

As Denis Pagan said “son, don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining”

It’s a piss weak decision. The other metro leagues have released statements distancing themselves and will release roadmaps around what is required from government over the next few weeks. They may not get up but great leadership to push on. The NFL has done zero to provide any guidance and communication has always been slow and often days behind the rest of the leagues. The simple fact they never allowed for clubs to train despite government advice clearing the way to do so is a clear example of there lack of leadership and foresight. The money from the sale of league headquarters will go towards paying McDougall’s salary instead of being used to give back to the clubs by assisting subsidising affiliation fees.

This absolute nonsense about health and safety is comical, the NFL is not a a health expert and should be guided by the appropriate governance. The medical advice from government was training in 2 groups of 20 is safe. In 3 weeks contact may have been allowed. What happens to the thousands of women and men aged between 18-35 who would normally play each weekend? I’d love to find out what happens to there mental health and the problems/ trouble they will find themselves in.

As Denis Pagan said “son, don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining”
Wish they’d give us a seperate statement rather than than one they have used right throughout .. never theirs always AFL Vic and to come out with a “ joint “ one today is a disgrace !!! Just shows more and more how they only care about saving their own jobs and don’t give me they have been taking the $750 from the govt ... pagans saying again for me 😂😂I like it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back