NFNL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been any chat about any clubs looking for a new coach in 2021? With potential for a few VFL and AFL affiliate coaches looking for jobs I wonder whether any clubs will move on anybody

Has there been any chat about any clubs looking for a new coach in 2021? With potential for a few VFL and AFL affiliate coaches looking for jobs I wonder whether any clubs will move on anybody

Very interesting point. Its not only coaches and assistants is there an expected influx of players to trickle down from higher leagues.

With Northern Blues gone where have all the players and coaches gone?

Are there a few stand alone VFL clubs that will not make it through this season due to the virus? How financial are clubs like Coburg? They have been on the bottom for a few years now do they have the backing to keep going?

The 2021 preseason could be very interesting, especially with such a massive reduction in salary cap.

Coburg have benefit from NB going under with a few players crossing over.

Wouldnt surprise me if there is no reserve competition at AFL level in 2021 either. Seems like lists will be cut and there is a huge amount of work that needs to take place to accommodate all 18 clubs needs/wants. The current VFL wont be continuing in the same structure either. You cannot have an 8 team competition. I think they need get that to 10 teams at minimum and align them with the NAB league, however there is 12 teams in that league in VIC.

So much needs to occur.

Coburg have benefit from NB going under with a few players crossing over.

Wouldnt surprise me if there is no reserve competition at AFL level in 2021 either. Seems like lists will be cut and there is a huge amount of work that needs to take place to accommodate all 18 clubs needs/wants. The current VFL wont be continuing in the same structure either. You cannot have an 8 team competition. I think they need get that to 10 teams at minimum and align them with the NAB league, however there is 12 teams in that league in VIC.

So much needs to occur.
Yeh will be a lot to player out in regards to VFL and also local footy. There will be a fair few VFL players filter back to local level.
The issue with a $100k salary cap is the rich clubs will pay under the table. Only way to fix that is they class this year as a normal year and every player reduces by a point. Then reduce the points to 42-43. That will stop these clubs poaching the best players from each club.

Any updates on junior footy?

I live in a lockdown suburb so obviously I now can’t attend (from Wednesday) to train the squad I had committed to coaching ... won’t lie I’m actually glad it's been taken away from me, as a lot of this still I'm still battling to get my old 3KZ around.

Last edited:
Any updates on junior footy?

I live in a lockdown suburb so obviously I now can’t attend (from Wednesday) to train the squad I had committed to coaching ... won’t lie I’m actually glad it's been taken away from me, as a lot of this still I'm still battling to get my old 3KZ around.

Hey mate, announcement will be made on Monday at 10am.

To me it sounds like it will be postponed until August.

RDFL have pulled the pin on juniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey mate, announcement will be made on Monday at 10am.

To me it sounds like it will be postponed until August.

RDFL have pulled the pin on juniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Smart move by the RDFL 👍

It’s ridiculous all this, just drove by an NFL junior club on way home from an appt and they certainly weren’t adhering to a lot of what I’ve read 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The issue with a $100k salary cap is the rich clubs will pay under the table.

What!!! No that would not happen. No way. Some really smart people came up with this concept and they assured the world it is a perfect concept, hell some got paid a lot of money to sit on boards and committees to make sure this is a prefect plan and unrortable. No way would any Club dare do anything like that.

What!!! No that would not happen. No way. Some really smart people came up with this concept and they assured the world it is a perfect concept, hell some got paid a lot of money to sit on boards and committees to make sure this is a prefect plan and unrortable. No way would any Club dare do anything like that.

Will be interesting too see what models some clubs will take. Shaving 50% off player wages will not be easy. Do the big earners take a big cut or is it a case of clubs playing the youth and to balance out the high end marquee type? Can’t help but but share concern about clubs rorting the cap.
Interesting to see how a club like mont fits fasolo, Kennedy, Fennell etc in?

Will be interesting too see what models some clubs will take. Shaving 50% off player wages will not be easy. Do the big earners take a big cut or is it a case of clubs playing the youth and to balance out the high end marquee type? Can’t help but but share concern about clubs rorting the cap.

Won't that depend on the salary cap decision made by other leagues too?

If they all drop 50%, then nothing changes, as I don't see why players would move all of a sudden.

As an example; if the EDFL only dropped 20%, while EFL, NFL, etc. all drop 50% then yes, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Won't that depend on the salary cap decision made by other leagues too?

If they all drop 50%, then nothing changes, as I don't see why players would move all of a sudden.

As an example; if the EDFL only dropped 20%, while EFL, NFL, etc. all drop 50% then yes, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.
It’s going to be a state wide salary cap. Same for every comp. Wealthy clubs will offer $500 on the books and $500 cash in hand. Very easy to cheat the salary cap if you have the money to spend

It’s going to be a state wide salary cap. Same for every comp. Wealthy clubs will offer $500 on the books and $500 cash in hand. Very easy to cheat the salary cap if you have the money to spend

Yes the salary cap can and will be rorted easily. The points system was bought in for the right reasons and as it is objective is worthwhile but it seems that due to pressure from certain clubs the leagues have kept upping the limit which makes it ineffective in terms of achieving the goal of forcing clubs to work closely with their junior affiliate. The cap should be quickly reduced to 40. If you did that the salary cap is almost not needed.
With a limit of 40 clubs will be forced to make tough decisions on which players with high points they want to keep or chase. 1 pointers become valuable so will be given more of a go ( rather than miss out due to large numbers of big names outside recruits) and journeyman become less desirable.
I notice that in the past decade Heidelberg for example have really focused on their juniors and its now paying dividends. Nth Heidelberg is working hard in the same way.
I emailed CEO McDougal to get his thoughts on the above points without response.
Finally I note that in the Western Region league they have forced Deer Park to play with 40 this year ( prior to cancellation) and all other sides have 47. Read into that what you like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fennell at Boro.

The EDFL have confirmed there salary caps for 2021 today

prem -100k
Div 1 -85k
Div 2-70k

Is it expected the NFL will follow suit?

The EDFL have confirmed there salary caps for 2021 today

prem -100k
Div 1 -85k
Div 2-70k

Is it expected the NFL will follow suit?

Yeah the NFNL have already stated that they will do this but 2nd Div will be $80 not $85.

I know there is a lot of opinions of the salary cap but people clearly will have their head in the sand if they think there will be nothing dodgy happening.

Yeah the NFNL have already stated that they will do this but 2nd Div will be $80 not $85.

I know there is a lot of opinions of the salary cap but people clearly will have their head in the sand if they think there will be nothing dodgy happening.

At those prices most clubs may struggle to get a 2nds as they will all be playing in the Seniors.

We have all dreamed of payments going down but how many blokes will choose to work instead of playing?

Will be very interesting renegotiating contracts 😬

At those prices most clubs may struggle to get a 2nds as they will all be playing in the Seniors.

We have all dreamed of payments going down but how many blokes will choose to work instead of playing?

Will be very interesting renegotiating contracts 😬
I do not think there will be a lot of players preferring to work than play football, but what do football Vic hope to gain by bringing in low salary caps which may not be adherred to. The points system seemed to be evening the sides.

Northern Bullants ready to launch comeback bid in the VFL. Very interesting to see who is backing this.

Have any Div 1 coaches not decided to continue in 2021?

Ive heard the backing is strong with some quality Preston people on board. Fraser obviously coaching.

Just needs to be determined what the competition is that they enter. The VFL wont be anything at all like it is now. The new VFL will all need to be aligned with strong local competitions and some NAB league clubs if possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back