NFNL Div 2 discussion 2023

TigerTime123

Team Captain
Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
He's a 45 year old in a 25 year old body, I'd turn up just to watch him play. Remember we're talking Division 2.
Isn't Moorcroft playing at South Morang? He would be 50?
Probably talks to the standard of local football these days rather than the individuals mentioned.

Good luck to both of them - I couldnt get out of bed for 2 days after a run and I am only 2 years older than these blokes !!

Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought I would go and have a look at Eltham finals record

2018 - 16-2 regular season
Finals games
El 6-8-44 defeated Lower 4-6-30
Grand final Eltham 2-10-22 lost to Lower 3-10-28
Runner-up

2019 - 11-5 regular season
El 8-15-63 defeated Thomastown 6-8-44
El 8-8-56 lost to Whittlesea 13-6-84
Finished 3rd

2022 - 17-1 regular season
El 10-9-69 lost to Banyule 11-12-78
El 7-13-55 defeated Diamond Creek 6-10-46
El 7-10-52 lost to Banyule 10-17-77
Runner up

Regular season record for these three season
Win - 44 Losses - 8 84.6% win/loss record

Finals
Win - 3 losses - 4 42.8 win/loss record.

Make of this what you will but I am sure the Eltham faithful would have loved to have won a flag in anyone of these 3 completed seasons.

Pressure will be on finals time to get the flag in 2023 and perform during the finals series

Eltham are challenging every year. Envious position to be in. Many had them finishing 4th or 5th in 2022 so their home and away season exceeded all expectations. They were beaten by a better team twice in the finals. No doubt about that.

There's pressure on most clubs in this division for multiple reasons. There's pressure on Panton Hill and Diamond creek to perform after spending big. There's pressure on Thomastown to perform after an ordinary year, when a lot of people predicted them to finish top 2. There's pressure on NP to bounce back, after being a mainstay in D1 for decades, and there's massive pressure on Lower Plenty, after a tumultous period.

Eltham seem to get more attention though, that's for sure.

nfnlegend

Team Captain
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eltham are challenging every year. Envious position to be in. Many had them finishing 4th or 5th in 2022 so their home and away season exceeded all expectations. They were beaten by a better team twice in the finals. No doubt about that.

There's pressure on most clubs in this division for multiple reasons. There's pressure on Panton Hill and Diamond creek to perform after spending big. There's pressure on Thomastown to perform after an ordinary year, when a lot of people predicted them to finish top 2. There's pressure on NP to bounce back, after being a mainstay in D1 for decades, and there's massive pressure on Lower Plenty, after a tumultous period.

Eltham get more attention because the resources the club has they should be competing in D1. Hopefully for them it happens this year.

I’m envious of clubs like Heidelberg and Bundoora.. not clubs pushing for a D2 flag.

nfnlegend

Team Captain
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What do you mean by resources that they have?

What are advantages clubs have to be successfull…

Juniors
19s
Facilities
Sponsorship opportunities
Support
Suburb placement/location

I’d say Eltham place high or very high in all those categories.

red_ranga

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2021
Mars
AFL Club
Essendon
What are advantages clubs have to be successfull…

Juniors
19s
Facilities
Sponsorship opportunities
Support
Suburb placement/location

I’d say Eltham place high or very high in all those categories.
Sounds like a well run club, jealous much?

Thunder1

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm confused I see no jealousy just someone stating parameters that every club wants. Eltham tick every box, probably the most equipped club in the league. So if you don't think they are under achieving then you are in denial.
Eyes_and_Ears but they have the best juniors, the best facilities, the best club rooms, the best ground in the NFNL but are behind clubs like Hurstbridge and Whittlesea who are in division 1. It’s great to win reserves and under 19 flags but let’s be honest, with everything that they have as mentioned above they should be an NFNL powerhouse

Big year in 2023 for Eltham, they need to win it otherwise that choke tag just gets bigger and bigger

hfchfc

All Australian
Sep 6, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

In all due respect, I don't think anyone is envious of a club who's last Division One senior premiership was in 1974

Don The Sash

Debutant
Nov 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Eltham get more attention because the resources the club has they should be competing in D1. Hopefully for them it happens this year.

I’m envious of clubs like Heidelberg and Bundoora.. not clubs pushing for a D2 flag.
Correct. Being consistently competitive in D2 means you are somewhere between the 11th-15th best team in the NFNL. Hardly anything to be envious of or to rave about.

Last edited:

Thunder1

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They say? The people saying we have the best of everything are not from Panther
ONTHEPROWL didn’t think today was April Fools Day
Definitely heard lots of panthers say they have the best juniors, best ground, best club rooms, it’s a great club.
Take off the rose coloured glasses.
They are underachievers when it comes to the NFNL

grass_cat

Rookie
Aug 21, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
In all due respect, I don't think anyone is envious of a club who's last Division One senior premiership was in 1974
Eltham sit 3rd overall for Division 1 Premierships behind Heidelberg and Greensborough on 8, with their 6 Division 2 Premierships being the most for any side. Plenty of other clubs would be envious of that history.

Obviously been a long time between drinks in Division 1, but clubs have lean periods even at AFL level.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eltham sit 3rd overall for Division 1 Premierships behind Heidelberg and Greensborough on 8, with their 6 Division 2 Premierships being the most for any side. Plenty of other clubs would be envious of that history.

Obviously been a long time between drinks in Division 1, but clubs have lean periods even at AFL level.
Shocked a Carlton supporter is using historic examples from 50+ years ago as to why current day clubs should be “envious”

Back