NFNL Div 3 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the whole point of why they shouldn’t clear him.

If you have 10 new players in the seniors that puts 10 old players in the reserves creating the depth on the list. That is if the 10 old players are contracted.

So the 10 old players who are contracted should automatically get a clearance because they are playing reserves ?

Not for me. Team sport and the club is always bigger than the individual. But I guess it all depends on the strength of the clubs hierarchy and decision makers.

In my experience as a player a flag is a flag weather it’s Div 1, Div 3 or Div 3 reserves we all play to win and have success with your team.

For me Laurimer should be going in as clear flag favorites. Recruited well especially Francis great get and will be hard to stop when their midfielders get on top of the opposition.

AFL clubs release them because the club which they are contracted too hold all the cards on the negotiation table. If the deal isn't right for them then they won't get the deal done. Joe Daniher wanting to go to the swans at the end of last season type of scenario. Both clubs couldn't make a deal so he stayed.

In terms of culture I think it sends a positive message within a playing group by abiding by contracts (both ways player/club). I would imagine that the football department would of planned their season a head and this player would of been in their plans as a contracted player and most recent Best and Fairest winner. Best and Fairest winners are generally one of the highest paid players which they would of budgeted for, along with his points value / allocation. Hence why the club would need to be compensated in some way.

According to the transfers on the NFNL website, Mernda have recruited heavily providing depth on the list which come winter time and finals time is invaluable. If Mernda or the NFNL cleared this player what message does it send to the rest of the playing group / Competition ?

My opinion is, that it opens the flood gates for any player not only at the club but the NFNL to put in a clearance if they are contracted. Soon as things don't go a players way they will put in a clearance. Don't agree with the coaches game, put in a clearance. Believe they are getting under paid , put in a clearance. Can't be bothered going to training, put in a clearance etc. Hence why I believe the NFNL will and should support the contracted club. It damages the brand of the NFNL and de values the contracts if the player was cleared at appeals.

Anyway just my opinion hopefully a deal gets done where both parties win !!!!!
Totally get your point and semi agree but I still believe when all is said and done that if the only reason your staying at a club is because of a contract then something is wrong with your club.

I’ve been involved in top division clubs and the process was simple if they made their intentions clear early as Dimech has (not 2 weeks before the season for example where they can’t be replaced) . Try to talk them around... if that fails talk to their future club and get the best deal possible for your own, move on and learn.

I don’t want a culture at my club “I want to leave but I won’t because I know they won’t release me? Remember what happened to Dimech”

I want a culture of “I love my footy here I’m staying”

Most players get a call and say “sorry I’m contracted and happy here” the ones who arent entertain other clubs

Last edited:
Mernda should be commended on not releasing contracted players.

NFNL and AFL Victoria need to support the Football Club and their decision. I noticed that there has been 3 clearances denied for this player. I would of thought if the player or opposition club thought they were a chance of obtaining a clearance they would of gone to the appeals tribunal already.
Ok I have been reading through these comments.... People seem to know alot about the how whys and whens of brads contract.
1st off when brad signed the contract at the end of 2018 with footy op shaun mills there was a verbal agreement that brad would sign for 2 yrs as long as Paul Derrick was coach... As most of you would know seen as you all seem to know brads buisness so well..... he came over with paul to play under him. At the end of 2019 paul Derrick was terminated as coach. A verbal contract is legally binding just as much as a written contract especially if you have a few witnesses whom were there to witness the said verbal agreement. Shaun mills and mernda fc knew brads intentions of not staying when it came out that paul was no longer required for 2020 due to the agreement in place.......
2 as the mernda fc has had more than enough time to negotiate it will now proceed to afl vic appeals
3 for all you know it all's brad is going back to his junior club at a higher div and less money so not chasing the $$$
This is all i am going to say atm until the appeal had bern heard

Ok I have been reading through these comments.... People seem to know alot about the how whys and whens of brads contract.
1st off when brad signed the contract at the end of 2018 with footy op shaun mills there was a verbal agreement that brad would sign for 2 yrs as long as Paul Derrick was coach... As most of you would know seen as you all seem to know brads buisness so well..... he came over with paul to play under him. At the end of 2019 paul Derrick was terminated as coach. A verbal contract is legally binding just as much as a written contract especially if you have a few witnesses whom were there to witness the said verbal agreement. Shaun mills and mernda fc knew brads intentions of not staying when it came out that paul was no longer required for 2020 due to the agreement in place.......
2 as the mernda fc has had more than enough time to negotiate it will now proceed to afl vic appeals
3 for all you know it all's brad is going back to his junior club at a higher div and less money so not chasing the $$$
Well said and well done on outlining FACTS. Hope it turns out well for the kid and as for Mernda I hope they learn from mistakes. Good luck to all involved and hope common sense prevails.

Another article on the local footy page today (can't read it as I'm not subscribed...)

Biggest story in local footy!

If true and to be honest I believe it, very poor from Mernda.

The kid is early 20s but players need to include clauses in contracts if its a sticking point.

I’d like to see the league send some info out to players to know how to read contracts and info what it covers and doesn’t cover

If true and to be honest I believe it, very poor from Mernda.

The kid is early 20s but players need to include clauses in contracts if its a sticking point.

I’d like to see the league send some info out to players to know how to read contracts and info what it covers and doesn’t cover
Totally agree, BUT we know what the league will do. ZERO

Totally agree, BUT we know what the league will do. ZERO
Why should they do something he is under contract hands are tied let it play out in afl vic and concentrate on the season ahead , and when it goes though afl vic then comment.

Why should they do something he is under contract hands are tied let it play out in afl vic and concentrate on the season ahead , and when it goes though afl vic then comment.
Sorry it was more so saying the league whether they need to get involved in or not Wont , if the South Morang playing fees is anything to go by as the committee ( Morang ) are under their direction

Link

Roxburgh Park will take its fight to regain star midfielder Brad Dimech to AFL Victoria.

The best-and-fairest winner had three clearance requests blocked by Mernda during the November transfer window, with the NFL club vowing to hold him to his contract.

Dimech has spent the past two seasons with the Demons and last represented the Magpies in the EDFL in 2016, claiming the club’s top individual award.
The 21-year-old also won Mernda’s best-and-fairest in 2019, finished fourth in the league award and was named in the NFL Division 3 Team of the Year.
Roxburgh Park coach Micheal Farrelly said the young gun was keen to test himself in Division 1 and remained intent on returning to his junior club.

“We’re a bit puzzled as to why he’s not being let go,” Farrelly said.

“Brad wants to return home, play at a higher level and play with friends, he doesn’t owe the club (Mernda) any money. There’s no reason really for them to hold him there, especially if he doesn’t want to be there.

“We’ll take it to the appeal … and we’re more than confident he’ll be a Magpie this year.”
Mernda coach Robert Fletcher – a premiership mentor at Jacana – declared last month:

It is believed Dimech has one season remaining on a two-year contract with the Demons.
While he is yet to get the green light to join the Magpies, he would be a significant acquisition as they look to climb the ladder in their second season in Division 1.

“He’s a star. He fits in with the boys really well and he brings us something we don’t have, which is just pure aggression at the footy,” Farrelly said.
“He’s a young kid, but he’s built like he’s 26, 27. He’s a really strong lad.

“If he can give our boys first use, especially these young kids on the outside, he’s going to be really key to us.

“He’s coming to us for less money and he genuinely wants to play at a higher level and with his mates.
“You can see he’s keen to come home and hungry to play good footy. He’s trained the house down over summer.”

Roxburgh Park has enjoyed a fruitful off-season after winning three games in Division 1 last season following its 2018 Division 2 flag.

Former Broadford captain Matt Coomans has signed on as a playing assistant coach and will boost the midfield, while utility and ex-Northern Saints skipper Daniel Boudoloh has arrived from Southern league club Hampton Park, where he featured in a premiership last season.

Midfielder Nathan Reichelt has crossed from Division 1 premier Craigieburn, where he played seven senior games last year.
Farrelly said Jack Elliott, Luke Capuano and Tom Baker had been standouts on the training track, with the club in a good position to improve.

“In my time at Roxy, this is by far the best pre-season we’ve had,” he said.

“We’ve got a really young list … and they know what it takes, so they’ve been a lot more driven this year than they were last year, just because they knew it was going to be a step up (to Division 1) last season, but didn’t know how much of a step up.

“Now they’ve had a taste of it. Last year we surprised sides, and I don’t think we’ll be classified as a surprise anymore. They’re (opposition sides) are probably expecting us to be better.”

The Magpies will face Taylors Lakes in Round 1 on April 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s a verbal agreement then he will be released “however” if it’s in a written lodged contract then Mernda are well within there rights to refuse his clearance. Your staying it’s a verbal contract for 2020 however I hear that’s not true and he “signed” a contract for 2 years 2019 & 2020. It’s just bad luck for the young kid..

If it’s a verbal agreement then he will be released “however” if it’s in a written lodged contract then Mernda are well within there rights to refuse his clearance. Your staying it’s a verbal contract for 2020 however I hear that’s not true and he “signed” a contract for 2 years 2019 & 2020. It’s just bad luck for the young kid..
From all reports it was a verbal agreement when he signed a hard copy. Obviously should have included a clause but didn’t.

He will get cleared by AFL Vic IMO due to the coach change.

Yes he did sign a contract but the footy op shaun mill whom drew up the contract verbally agree with brad that he would sign 2 yrs on the condition desi was coach
So shaun mills footy op is a lier and has very little integraty. Who would want a footy op doing contracts for player that doesn't admit truths. This conversation was relayed to several people straight after the signing and will be used as witnesses statements to confirm the verbal agreement.

Yes he did sign a contract but the footy op shaun mill whom drew up the contract verbally agree with brad that he would sign 2 yrs on the condition desi was coach
So shaun mills footy op is a lier and has very little integraty. Who would want a footy op doing contracts for player that doesn't admit truths. This conversation was relayed to several people straight after the signing and will be used as witnesses statements to confirm the verbal agreement.
So is their footy op completely denying that was ever spoken about?

P

Parents will always defend there kids. What parent wouldnt? Anyhow it’s time to move on I reckon. Who are Teams playing in there praccy matches?
Laurimar playing Kinglake and Congupna
Totally agree mate but falling into trap of airing it in here isn’t a good look either labelling footy manager a liar and stuff I wouldn’t have thought is a good way to handle things , just let common sense prevail and let the appeals board grant him his clearance ... move on .. correct weight ..

Totally agree mate but falling into trap of airing it in here isn’t a good look either labelling footy manager a liar and stuff I wouldn’t have thought is a good way to handle things , just let common sense prevail and let the appeals board grant him his clearance ... move on .. correct weight ..
Great point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back