NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s really a sorry state of affairs. Some extremely poor decisions made by uneducated or unskilled members in football positions has hurt. They are only volunteers that are doing the best they can but some staggering decisions have been made in recent times.

30 year premiership reunion this week and they will be getting a touch up by Reservoir at home I feel.

Hopefully the league and some former mentors/ football people can come in and help correct the ship toward the back end of the season.

It’s really a sorry state of affairs. Some extremely poor decisions made by uneducated or unskilled members in football positions has hurt. They are only volunteers that are doing the best they can but some staggering decisions have been made in recent times.

30 year premiership reunion this week and they will be getting a touch up by Reservoir at home I feel.

Hopefully the league and some former mentors/ football people can come in and help correct the ship toward the back end of the season.
Not to be morbid but surely both Lalor and Resa can see the writing on the wall. West Preston, Epping, Sth Morang, Thomastown, Bundoora, Heidelberg West etc all border/are in the vicinity to both suburbs and are arguably more enticing clubs to play for. How do these clubs survive?

Not to be morbid but surely both Lalor and Resa can see the writing on the wall. West Preston, Epping, Sth Morang, Thomastown, Bundoora, Heidelberg West etc all border/are in the vicinity to both suburbs and are arguably more enticing clubs to play for. How do these clubs survive?
Hmmm Heidelberg West bordering is a bit of a stretch. Could extended out and say eltham turtles also border Lalor and Reservoir then 😅

Looking at all the clubs in div 3 with bordering clubs to compete with:

Heidelberg West borders North, Banyule, Macleod and Heidelberg.

Lalor youd say borders South Morang, Mernda, Thomastown, Bundoora, Reservoir and Epping.

Reservoir would be closest to Lalor, WPL and then an extended reach to Northcote Park and Fitzroy if anything.

Laurimar and Mernda both have Whittlesea, South Morang, Epping to contend with.

Turtles probably just have the panthers.

Kilmore compete with Wallan (RDFL)

Stars probably Northcote Park

Kinglake 100km away from anyone

Hmmm Heidelberg West bordering is a bit of a stretch. Could extended out and say eltham turtles also border Lalor and Reservoir then 😅

Looking at all the clubs in div 3 with bordering clubs to compete with:

Heidelberg West borders North, Banyule, Macleod and Heidelberg.

Lalor youd say borders South Morang, Mernda, Thomastown, Bundoora, Reservoir and Epping.

Reservoir would be closest to Lalor, WPL and then an extended reach to Northcote Park and Fitzroy if anything.

Laurimar and Mernda both have Whittlesea, South Morang, Epping to contend with.

Turtles probably just have the panthers.

Kilmore compete with Wallan (RDFL)

Stars probably Northcote Park

Kinglake 100km away from anyone
Eyes must be painted on, cos that's why I said 'in the vicinity as well'

All those clubs you listed have junior programs/junior feeders into 19's, then into the senior club. There's literally no incentive to play at these two clubs that get smacked each week, when you could play at the half decent clubs around the area. That's where my concern is, it's very likely that we're gonna see 2 once great clubs fade away into obscurity

Footy not as popular as it once was - just need to look at schools. There was never any soccer pitches at primary schools back when i was a kid, now they are at alot of schools, if not most. Same for high schools. Its a major reason clubs struggle to get u19s and junior teams.

Add to that the areas Lalor and Reservoir are, its an area that has alot of different nationalities who enjoy other sports than footy. Those who are into it go to better clubs in the area.

Tips for the weekend

Old Eltham 6th vs Kinglake 1st. Huge game for one of the pre-season favourites Old Eltham as a loss here will see them slip to 2-4. They went down last week by T Ellis was awarded 9 coaches votes. The 2 pronged forward line of Williamson (22 goals) and Milne (14 goals) will provide the Kinglake coaching staff with plenty of headaches. Conversely Gilbert (16 goals) and Pywell (14 goals) have been in good form for the Lakers. T Clarke has started off his NFNL season terrifically well and will look continue his good early season form. A big test for Kinglake and with tough games against Laurimar and Heidelberg West to come, they would love to stay undefeated. Kinglake by 13 points

Lalor 9th vs Reservoir 8th A chance for both teams to open their 2023 account, and for Lalor provide their 1993 premiership reunion team something extra to celebrate. Reservoir have had some good patches during games and seem to be a bit more competitive than the bloods. Reservoir to open their win account. Reservoir by 22 points

Laurimar 2nd vs Heidelberg West 3rd. Big encounter out at Laurimar with the Power looking to put a gap between them and West. The experienced duo of Wilson and Thompson are again leading the Power charge. For West, they would be disappointed with last week lose to Kilmore at home with only Moore being in the coaches votes. Except it to be another close tough encounter between these 2 sides but the class and younger legs of the Power to prevail. Power by 17 points

Mernda 4th vs Kilmore 5th. Another big clash between 2 sides evenly matched. The demons were too strong last week over Reservoir with Lovegrove-Hudson, Morrison and Edwards all in the votes. For Coach Derrick, he returns to Waterview Reserve looking to get a win over his old club, they will travel with confidence after last weeks great win over Heidelberg West. Fitzpatrick, McLaughlin, Barton and Milne all leading the way with coaches votes. Toss of the coin, going with the home side Mernda by 5 points.

Should be a great round of footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heidelberg west were stuck on the bottom of the dvfl ladder for 20 years

They managed to turn it around

Shows it can be done

Just takes time and a ton of work

Need the right people with the right skills in the right jobs

A good coach with a solid network for potential players and assistants

A president with good business and people skills

Get a group of blokes that are willing to stick around multiple years

you look at thomastown 2 mins down the road club seems to be on the up and up from an outsider’s perspective

Demographics of lalor and thomastown would be identical but the clubs are worlds apart

Hi All,
Long time reader, first time poster. I've been following this thread this season and enjoy the discussions, so I thought I'd get involved.
Just going by the results on the weekend, the Turtles had a big win at home against the Lakers. Bit surprised there hasn't been much said on here about it.
Laurimar too strong against HW at home.
Well done to Reservoir for notching up their 1st win for the season.
Mernda were way too strong for Kilmore.
Interesting to hear other's thoughts on the games from yesterday.

Close game Lalor vs reservoir. In a season of floggings must feel great for reservoir and heartbreaking for Lalor

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The league just posted the last play if the game, Lalor had a chance to kick the winning goal with the last kick of the game (close in, fair bit of an angle and a real divvy 3 shot on goal that missed)

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laurimars flag to lose. Kinglake rubbed out of that race
Hi All,
Long time reader, first time poster. I've been following this thread this season and enjoy the discussions, so I thought I'd get involved.
Just going by the results on the weekend, the Turtles had a big win at home against the Lakers. Bit surprised there hasn't been much said on here about it.
Laurimar too strong against HW at home.
Well done to Reservoir for notching up their 1st win for the season.
Mernda were way too strong for Kilmore.
Interesting to hear other's thoughts on the games from yesterday.
My observation is it is Laurimar then daylight. Kinglake aren’t a threat turtles were always going to beat them. We will learn more about kinglake in the next couple of weeks.

My observation is it is Laurimar then daylight. Kinglake aren’t a threat turtles were always going to beat them. We will learn more about kinglake in the next couple of weeks.
Laurimar then daylight? In 6 games they’ve been beaten well by Mernda and beat the Turtles at home by 3 points. Hardly daylight

Very even year. A good run with injury’s could be the difference at the pointy end.

illumineer I think most NFNL followers had Laurimar as premiership favorites, I know I picked them for the flag at the start of the season.
Kinglake have been a breath of fresh air into the competition which let’s face it needed it with Reservoir and Lalor being so poor.
Fitzroy Stars on there day will cause an upset or two but think them and Kilmore fill position 6 and 7
Kinglake, Old Eltham, Mernda and Heidelberg West will be 2-5, in what order, after round 9 we will have a clearer picture.
Still lots to play out though, injuries, availability etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back