NFNL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Member

Team Captain
May 17, 2023
AFL Club
Tasmania
How do people think the NFNL 2023 Junior season is going?
New CEO and other staff?
Media coverage?
Umpires?
Crowd/coach/parent behavior overall

anything else to mention?

How do people think the NFNL 2023 Junior season is going?
New CEO and other staff?
Media coverage?
Umpires?
Crowd/coach/parent behavior overall

anything else to mention?
Junior footy is in decline due to scheduling and grading, one family of kids could be playing at 3 different grounds. Bring back the Lou Hall trophy so that’s under 10,11,13,15 and 17 at one ground and if club has out of age groups they play away and alternate every week no grading just back to the Lou hall point system and stop the nanny woke crap!

Junior footy is in decline due to scheduling and grading, one family of kids could be playing at 3 different grounds. Bring back the Lou Hall trophy so that’s under 10,11,13,15 and 17 at one ground and if club has out of age groups they play away and alternate every week no grading just back to the Lou hall point system and stop the nanny woke crap!
im definitely not opposed to it, not sure of the stats re junior footy being in decline as there is more kids playing now than ever.
i think having odd age groups would help build resilience in kids as they would not always be a dominant player in their age groups.
The grading process clearly didnt work this year, clubs/teams took advantage of it from what ive heard.
Numbers are an issue i think, too many teams running with 16-18 players every week.

Not sure how it is nanny woke crap ...

Agree that was much better when all played at the same venue, but the days of clubs only having 5 sides is long gone. 17 junior sides for Heidelberg (including 5 girls sides) just makes this impossible.

In theory this is great, however most clubs would have 12's & 14's, plus a girls program

So I have 3 kids, an u11 boy, u14 boy and u16 girl - still likely to be at 3 venues

I don’t know if it’s workable nowadays with some clubs having a heap of juniors and others having barely any but they were great days. Played my juniors at Preston RSL early to mid 2000s, we’d all be there all day, so would a lot of the parents, was real community stuff, massive crowd for juniors now when I think back on it.

Whats the thoughts on Juniors implementing the 6 6 6 rule?
How are they going to police the rule? The AFL uses its 4 field, 4 boundary and 2 goal umpires to ensure compliance and given a large number of junior matches have just 1 field umpire and that's it, seems like too difficult a task. The rule wasn't adopted at senior level because there weren't enough eyes to ensure it would work and there's more umps there than juniors

Can't be that hard - I have 0 doubt that if a team lines up with 7 defenders or 3 wingers, then parents/coaches of the other team will be carrying on enough for the umpire to realise. I doubt they'd implement the requirement of 1 each in the goal square, it's just to stop teams starting numbers behind the footy

Whats the thoughts on Juniors implementing the 6 6 6 rule?
Not a fan at all. I'd sooner they got rid of the "mercy rule" and evening up of player numbers in Under 17s. Or at the very least, if the winning team kicks a goal, then use the rule. If the losing team kicks a goal, then bring it back to the middle, or some variation of that.

All interesting responses, I'm fine with the current set up, but also wouldn't be too concerned if it was brought in. i know other leagues are running the 6 6 6 rule so it cant be that hard.
If coaches want to put a loose man in defence they can just wait for the centre ball up to be completed and push a winger into defence etc.

Im not a fan of the current mercy rule, agree if the losing team kicks a goal it should go back to centre,
I cant stand the even up rule either.
If clubs insist on running 2 teams in every age group and can only manage to get 18 in each team then i don't think opposing clubs should have to even up when they drop to 16 or 17. Especially in Blue division.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if it’s workable nowadays with some clubs having a heap of juniors and others having barely any but they were great days. Played my juniors at Preston RSL early to mid 2000s, we’d all be there all day, so would a lot of the parents, was real community stuff, massive crowd for juniors now when I think back on it.
Ditto same club ln the 90’s real community/family affair the old blokes on the hill at bay 13 never no trouble, purely football the way it was designed to be played was a great club RSL

Ditto same club ln the 90’s real community/family affair the old blokes on the hill at bay 13 never no trouble, purely football the way it was designed to be played was a great club RSL
Agree was much better when all sides played one after the other. Same time each week, all at the same venue. Much better club atmosphere. Just too hard these days with clubs having 15 + junior sides

I was a Lalor bloods junior

Best times playing with your mates around the ground after your game finished watching the older kids

Used to remember watching lance whitnall absolutely dominate

I was a Lalor bloods junior

Best times playing with your mates around the ground after your game finished watching the older kids

Used to remember watching lance whitnall absolutely dominate
nothing has changed in that regard, kids stay around and watch other teams play at every club every sunday.

nothing has changed in that regard, kids stay around and watch other teams play at every club every sunday.
A lot less now if you played the early games (u10,11) you stayed all day, now it’s a revolving door of cars coming and going by the time the 17’s play the canteen’s shut and maybe 20 cars around the ground and no one outside of there cars cheering on the kids,

A lot less now if you played the early games (u10,11) you stayed all day, now it’s a revolving door of cars coming and going by the time the 17’s play the canteen’s shut and maybe 20 cars around the ground and no one outside of there cars cheering on the kidsat some clubs yes, not all.
at some clubs yep i agree, not all though.

A lot less now if you played the early games (u10,11) you stayed all day, now it’s a revolving door of cars coming and going by the time the 17’s play the canteen’s shut and maybe 20 cars around the ground and no one outside of there cars cheering on the kids,
Strongly Agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back