Rookie NGA Academy prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Owens played one the guts today for the dragon and was named in the best’s. he’s in some good form
If he can play inside and outside while being a decent height to build some muscle on I think we’ve really found a player. Get some strength into him, build up his kicking skills and he might just become the exact type of player we need to bridge the connection between the crouch, dunstan, Steele types and the complete wingers like Brad Hill/Billings

If he can play inside and outside while being a decent height to build some muscle on I think we’ve really found a player. Get some strength into him, build up his kicking skills and he might just become the exact type of player we need to bridge the connection between the crouch, dunstan, Steele types and the complete wingers like Brad Hill/Billings
Kicking is a bit of a worry. At least he’s gaining some momentum the further we get into the draft year.

Where can I put money on that he ll go pick 20 . It has to happen doesn’t it ?

What are the odds we trade up the order if the word around draft night is he'll go within the 20?

Infuriating the AFL changing the rules on NGA's. A fairer compromise would have been

Finish 1-6 = Only able to match from pick 21 onwards.
Finish 7-12 - Only able to match from pick 11 onwards.
Finish 13-18 - Can match any pick.

I have such a dreaded feeling Owens will go within the 20 and we'll get shafted again.

Then we'll bottom out and they'll quickly bring in a Tassie team while we're down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the odds we trade up the order if the word around draft night is he'll go within the 20?

Infuriating the AFL changing the rules on NGA's. A fairer compromise would have been

I have such a dreaded feeling Owens will go within the 20 and we'll get shafted again.

Then we'll bottom out and they'll quickly bring in a Tassie team while we're down.
Yep, that sounds about right

I'm putting this out for feedback.
If we lose the likes of Seb and/or Dunny we're in for an end of second at best with each.
If we want to take Mitch and Windy then we still want to maximize those picks for something else.
Im struggling to convince of a scenario where 2 end of second round picks aren't wasted unless we use them in trade or to upgrade.

I'm putting this out for feedback.
If we lose the likes of Seb and/or Dunny we're in for an end of second at best with each.
If we want to take Mitch and Windy then we still want to maximize those picks for something else.
Im struggling to convince of a scenario where 2 end of second round picks aren't wasted unless we use them in trade or to upgrade.
Say we do lose them id get them to the dogs for another first. They need points for their father son. We can end up with 2 first rounders nothing from 2nd and 3rd round then get Windhager and Owens for free (4th round stuff

Say we do lose them id get them to the dogs for another first. They need points for their father son. We can end up with 2 first rounders nothing from 2nd and 3rd round then get Windhager and Owens for free (4th round stuff
Yeah we need points. All the more reason to honourably lose the remaining matches. Bump up our picks and points in every round, cha-ching! In all honesty, we probably would lose them even if we tried to win!

Winning would be great right now but it would stunt our growth going forward. We need a massive draft haul this year. Or trade in some kids young enough to learn to bleed for the jumper.

Where did you hear this? I thought it was just cut off at pick 20?

That would be the ideal scenario but the dogs will want to see a profit on that exchange. First round picks are always in demand.

Yeah we need points. All the more reason to honourably lose the remaining matches. Bump up our picks and points in every round, cha-ching! In all honesty, we probably would lose them even if we tried to win!

Winning would be great right now but it would stunt our growth going forward. We need a massive draft haul this year. Or trade in some kids young enough to learn to bleed for the jumper.

Yes lets tank for the rest of the year so we can pick Billings ahead of Bont, or Paddy ahead of Tracc

Thats such a flawed argument (that would also cost us maybe 5000 Members.)

Yes lets tank for the rest of the year so we can pick Billings ahead of Bont, or Paddy ahead of Tracc

What… so you don’t want us to have high draft picks? I know those 2013/2014 draft years hurt in hindsight, but we have to have faith in the recruiters to make good. That’s where premiership sides are born from.

I’m not saying we need to tank, but should we lose the majority of our remaining matches, I’ll be looking forward to that top 10 pick. If we win 2/3 then great, we’ll still have a shot to draft a good kid.

Then that's not a problem with tanking, it's a problem with our recruiters (former).

It might cost 5,000 members next year, that could be true. But again that's such short term thinking, typical "I want it now" attitude. I have no problem taking a short hit for longer term gains. Any supporter who can't see that losing now is more beneficial for our future doesn't undestand the system. Or we could win now, scrape 8th or 9th, keep some members, struggle to crack the top 8 for two or three years, then inevitably hit rock bottom as the lack of quality kids coming through comes back to bite us in the arse again, like Paddy and JB you mentioned. Having earlier picks, and more of them, is the right thing to do. The rest is up to the recruiters.

We don't have a group of youthful players ready to take the next step like in 2003, when being outside the top 8 and winning/flogging other clubs did wonders for them. This could be (fingers crossed) our last chance to load up on early picks for another 5-10 years.

There are other ways and different list profiles that can win a premiership. But our list has a gaping whole without enough quality youth coming through, and the stars are aligning this off-season. We must make the most of our current position, it's obvious.

Then that's not a problem with tanking, it's a problem with our recruiters (former).

It might cost 5,000 members next year, that could be true. But again that's such short term thinking, typical "I want it now" attitude. I have no problem taking a short hit for longer term gains. Any supporter who can't see that losing now is more beneficial for our future doesn't undestand the system. Or we could win now, scrape 8th or 9th, keep some members, struggle to crack the top 8 for two or three years, then inevitably hit rock bottom as the lack of quality kids coming through comes back to bite us in the arse again, like Paddy and JB you mentioned. Having earlier picks, and more of them, is the right thing to do. The rest is up to the recruiters.

We don't have a group of youthful players ready to take the next step like in 2003, when being outside the top 8 and winning/flogging other clubs did wonders for them. This could be (fingers crossed) our last chance to load up on early picks for another 5-10 years.

There are other ways and different list profiles that can win a premiership. But our list has a gaping whole without enough quality youth coming through, and the stars are aligning this off-season. We must make the most of our current position, it's obvious.
Please
47 years for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back