List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If they're not taken in the National draft we can still take them in the rookie draft if we have list spots just not as Cat B rookies?
Indicates we are overlooking both players?

I'm no expert on these things so others may be better versed on the system...we can still take them in the National draft but we would have to pay full odds with no discount?
Yes, we can still take them at full freight. However, if we nominated them, we would be REQUIRED to take them (in rookie if not selected in main draft).

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, we can still take them at full freight. However, if we nominated them, we would be REQUIRED to take them (in rookie if not selected in main draft).
So I’m right it was just a classic AFL hour no connecting dots that shouldn’t be connected

but it also means we dont rate them as even worth 2 rookie list spots

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So I’m right it was just a classic AFL hour no connecting dots that shouldn’t be connected

but it also means we dont rate them as even worth 2 rookie list spots
Doesn't necessarily mean we WON'T take one or both as rookies, just that we aren't CERTAIN that they will be our best options when the time comes.

I'd hate to miss out on Ronald Fejo Jnr for our last list spot if he was available, because we had committed to O'Loughlin.

We still don't seem to have made the call on ROC and Davis too, which adds a degree of complication.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I must have missed where we drafted another KPD?
When did we have an opportunity to pick him up? We drafted McAsey 2 years ago, in the last year we picked up Murray and are playing Frampton down back.

Facts are you can excuse the recruiting team as much as you want, he just went pick 15 and if he turns out to be a player, we couldn’t identify that and have let a free hit walk.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
When did we have an opportunity to pick him up? We drafted McAsey 2 years ago, in the last year we picked up Murray and are playing Frampton down back.

Facts are you can excuse the recruiting team as much as you want, he just went pick 15 and if he turns out to be a player, we couldn’t identify that and have let a free hit walk.
IF, they must think they can fix his kicking because it's very poor currently, certainly not a player you want the ball in their hands unless it's to give it off to a runner. I take it you watched his U18's footy when he was 1st draft eligible?

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
IF, they must think they can fix his kicking because it's very poor currently, certainly not a player you want the ball in their hands unless it's to give it off to a runner. I take it you watched his U18's footy when he was 1st draft eligible?
No I haven't seen a minute of him. But you asked had we recruited any key position defenders and we have.

I said if he turns out a player then we have stuffed up, there is no ifs or buts.

But you don't have to jump to the defence of Hamish and the recruiting department at the hint of any criticism, they aren't faultless and have made errors. Hopefully after a shitty few years they're rebounded with the last couple.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No I haven't seen a minute of him. But you asked had we recruited any key position defenders and we have.

I said if he turns out a player then we have stuffed up, there is no ifs or buts.

But you don't have to jump to the defence of Hamish and the recruiting department at the hint of any criticism, they aren't faultless and have made errors. Hopefully after a shitty few years they're rebounded with the last couple.
I know you like a good argument but perhaps you'd like to factor in the fact that once we didn't nominate him in his actual draft year he was open slather for all 17 other AFL clubs to select him in the National Drafts and rookie drafts.....They didn't! Edit : Twice.

Last edited:

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know you like a good argument but perhaps you'd like to factor in the fact that once we didn't nominate him in his actual draft year he was open slather for all 17 other AFL clubs to select him in the National Drafts and rookie drafts.....They didn't! Edit : Twice.
No you like the argument, you went into Hamish defence mode when you didn’t need to.

And you are doing it again now. The other clubs didn’t have him as part of their academy….

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No you like the argument, you went into Hamish defence mode when you didn’t need to.

And you are doing it again now. The other clubs didn’t have him as part of their academy….
No it's you EC, he was there for the taking by all AFL clubs in both 2019 and 2020 in both the National Drafts and Rookie Drafts meaning every club's SA scouts would have seen a shedload of his footy from U16's right through to his draft year in 2019, not only that Aleer came back and played U18's again in 2020 as a 19 year old still no interest. Only thing that changed this year was he was switched from playing as a KPF where he'd not shown a whole lot to playing as a KPD where his standout attribute was intercept marking, foot skills still very ordinary.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
No it's you EC, he was there for the taking by all AFL clubs in both 2019 and 2020 in both the National Drafts and Rookie Drafts meaning every club's SA scouts would have seen a shedload of his footy from U16's right through to his draft year in 2019, not only that Aleer came back and played U18's again in 2020 as a 19 year old still no interest. Only thing that changed this year was he was switched from playing as a KPF where he'd not shown a whole lot to playing as a KPD where his standout attribute was intercept marking, foot skills still very ordinary.
Nah it’s you Bicks. Any sniff of a Hamish criticism and you are on to it. Facts are he was at the club. If he turns out a good player and he was under our nose that’s on us, I don’t give a * about the other clubs.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah it’s you Bicks. Any sniff of a Hamish criticism and you are on to it. Facts are he was at the club. If he turns out a good player and he was under our nose that’s on us, I don’t give a fu** about the other clubs.
So we should have drafted him because he was a member of our NGA Academy in his draft year even though not one other AFL club rated him as worthy of drafting in either the National Draft or Rookie Draft's in both 2019 and 2020. Nope it's just you trying to find an excuse to pot the club sadly.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we should have drafted him because he was a member of our NGA Academy in his draft year even though not one other AFL club rated him as worthy of drafting in either the National Draft or Rookie Draft's in both 2019 and 2020. Nope it's just you trying to find an excuse to pot the club sadly.
We should have identified the talent we had, that’s their job. It’s not trying to find an excuse to pot the club, that’s my opinion, you’re the one gone into defensive mode and being argumentative.

Should we have not looked at him in defence through the academy at some point then?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Should we have not looked at him in defence through the academy at some point then?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing hey.

Before we get too carried away let's wait and see how he adjusts to AFL, one things for sure the Giants kicking coach has a decent challenge on his hands to start with.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Now our attention turns to Keeler and weather we can hide him away and he slips to pick 40.... I doubt it some how but you never know, with a talls draft incoming maybe he will.

Also is Welsh's son still 2 years away? might get a better idea how he's tracking too.

eddiespocket

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing
Yeah I think Tyler Welsh is 2023 draft eligible.

Mutineer has he been picked in any state squads?

Reckon one of Roo’s son will be our first genuine FS after all he has 4 of them!

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Not sure how we do that. It's not like the Academy is out there playing games.

He's a mature aged player who came good late. I still wouldn't want him on our list because his disposal seems really rough, and I think GWS went INCREDIBLY early.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Not sure how we do that. It's not like the Academy is out there playing games.

He's a mature aged player who came good late. I still wouldn't want him on our list because his disposal seems really rough, and I think GWS went INCREDIBLY early.
I really expected CARL to take him, given they'd just lost Jones .....agree, seemed a very weird selection by GWS

Given GWS were looking hard at Gibcus, I can only assume that after taking Callaghan .....Leek Aleer was the replacement for the Gibcus pick

BTW .....it does get frustrating when posters don't include the name of a player they're talking about ....anyone coming into the thread would have no idea the player being discussed in the last 2 pages .....would just help posters IMHO

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
SANFL Changes -
- Removal of a transfer fee for Next Generation Academy and Father-Son players in their 18th and 19th year, who are yet to play League Football at their SANFL club, allowing them an opportunity to play and train with their AFL-aligned SANFL club over a four-week period.

I would like to see the Crows have O'Loughlin and Dudley train with the Crows and have them play at the start of the SANFL season Weeks 1-4. Then make a decision. Or pay the $5k fee.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SANFL Changes -
- Removal of a transfer fee for Next Generation Academy and Father-Son players in their 18th and 19th year, who are yet to play League Football at their SANFL club, allowing them an opportunity to play and train with their AFL-aligned SANFL club over a four-week period.

I would like to see the Crows have O'Loughlin and Dudley train with the Crows and have them play at the start of the SANFL season Weeks 1-4. Then make a decision. Or pay the $5k fee.
Why?

They've both been considered inferior by our recruiting department to what was available to us in both the National and Rookie drafts.....and telling that the other 17 AFL clubs didn't rate what they bring to the table even as rookies either, and let's not forget unlike the Victorian lads they both played a shedload of football to allow a fair assessment of their ability to play at the top level? It will be interesting to see if any clubs give them a "train on" opportunity now though it's probably a longshot.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why?

They've both been considered inferior by our recruiting department to what was available to us in both the National and Rookie drafts.....and telling that the other 17 AFL clubs didn't rate what they bring to the table even as rookies either, and let's not forget unlike the Victorian lads they both played a shedload of football to allow a fair assessment of their ability to play at the top level? It will be interesting to see if any clubs give them a "train on" opportunity now though it's probably a longshot.
Dudley has been disappointing. Promised so much 2-3 years ago.

Back