List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe, maybe not, we have 2 2023 2nd round picks to play with if a player slips through we really rate...interesting to see if we make any more list changes before draft night.
I think we won’t do anything because we traded out all our second rounder into next year and got points for Max.
It’s so disappointing because you get excited for draft night and now we won’t play a part at all.
Reid and Hamish obviously rate next year much more then this years

I think we won’t do anything because we traded out all our second rounder into next year and got points for Max.
It’s so disappointing because you get excited for draft night and now we won’t play a part at all.
Reid and Hamish obviously rate next year much more then this years
If we want to trade into this draft North's 2023 2nd round pick is way way more attractive than 2022's pick 23 from that point of view.

AFL Indicative Draft Order: Crows commit to father-son Max Michalanney, make pick swap​

Adelaide has completed two pick swaps, adding draft points to seal a father-son selection and also boost its hand next year.

Max Michalanney would sometimes wear an Adelaide Crows jumper when he kicked the footy at home as a youngster.
Now he has moved one step closer to joining the club he supports after being nominated as a father-son prospect.

Adelaide has access to the 18-year-old Norwood defender due to his dad Jim’s 211 games for the Redlegs from 1974-86.

The Crows announced their nomination on Friday, allowing them to match a rival club’s bid on Michalanney in next month’s national draft.

“He’s thrilled, it’s the old saying about ‘dreams come true’,” Jim told News Corp.

“From a little fella … he’s been going to sleep with a footy, he’d have a Crows jumper on running around kicking in the yard.

“For it to come into the possibility of fruition in late November has obviously been received with great excitement by our family.

“It’s not 100 per cent guaranteed, of course, but it’s good to be thought of highly by the Crows.”

Michalanney is one of SA’s top prospects this year and is shaping as a potential second-round draft pick.

Adelaide has told his family it is difficult to predict when a rival club will bid for him but that it is pretty certain to land him.

“We’re really positive and hopeful but we’re not being presumptuous,” Jim, a four-time premiership player with the Redlegs, said.

“We’ve got our fingers crossed hoping that it goes through as planned.”

ADELAIDE

The Crows are set to secure under-18 All-Australian Max Michalanney after officially nominating the son of Norwood great Jim, who played 211 SANFL games for the Redlegs between 1974 and 1986, as a father-son prospect. Adelaide then traded its pick 23 to North Melbourne for pick 59 and a future second-round selection, while also orchestrating a deal with Brisbane for the Lions’ pick 56, in exchange for Fremantle’s future fourth-round call. It means the club is unlikely to take another player before having to match a bid, which is expected come between 25 and 40, for Michalanney – a versatile, competitive defender, who has a nice turn of speed. Isaac Keeler’spath to the Crows isn’t as clear, however, with the highly-talented big man unlikely to still be available at pick 40, when Adelaide would have rights to him under the Next Generation Academy rules. The 198cm prospect’s brilliant best – as an unstoppable forward and mobile ruckman – is likely to see a club pounce in the second round, if not before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that game, was at the parade, Keeler spent probably 60% game time in the ruck and still kicked 2 in the short periods of time he stood him while resting forward, but MM definitely won a few of the duels.

I think unfortunately for keeler, he’s a key forward that has been forced to play ruck out of necessity, as norths next tallest players are around 192cm. Rather then this working in his favour for being “versatile” it has worked against him as it has stunted his development as a forward and has raised concerns around his tank, which was evident as he was expected to play very large stints on ball due to a lack of any other talls.

I was at thebby earlier this year for the only time Aaron Cadman and Isaac Keeler has shared an oval and Keeler outperformed him quite easily, more disposals, more impact, more scoring shots. Personally i think if Keeler was able to play permanent key forward the last few years in a better comp like the nab league he would be considered a top 10 lock. Having to ruck has killed his stocks more than anything.
Personally I would much rather take a punt on a player with ridiculous potential at 23, then a lock down defender that can be picked up in the 20s in most drafts. But it is what it is, hopefully they can develop max into a more defensive and competitive Will Day type.

The problem I have with Keeler is his lack of competitive spirit. To me he lacks a hard edge, a real will to get himself to every contest, to gut run, to crash packs, to WORK HARD. If it was just a lack of tank holding him back, I get it, kids need to work on that, and he could build it up. But I just don’t see the level of desperation, effort and desire that I want to see in anyone I’m picking in the top 30 odd of a draft, regardless of position.

I think it was Swans head recruiter Kinnear Beatson who said that if players don’t have that sort of attitude, Sydney just straight up don’t pick them. Sure, you also need talent, skill, athleticism etc, but without the competitive attitude, they’re off Sydney’s draft board.

Is it a coincidence that a very strong argument could be made for Sydney’s drafting being the absolute best in the AFL over the past 10-12 years? I’m not talking trades or FA acquisitions, I’m talking the national draft. They’re certainly right up there in the top 3 if they aren’t the best.

Food for thought.

Edit: it would be hilarious if Sydney take Keeler now

The problem I have with Keeler is his lack of competitive spirit. To me he lacks a hard edge, a real will to get himself to every contest, to gut run, to crash packs, to WORK HARD. If it was just a lack of tank holding him back, I get it, kids need to work on that, and he could build it up. But I just don’t see the level of desperation, effort and desire that I want to see in anyone I’m picking in the top 30 odd of a draft, regardless of position.

I think it was Swans head recruiter Kinnear Beatson who said that if players don’t have that sort of attitude, Sydney just straight up don’t pick them. Sure, you also need talent, skill, athleticism etc, but without the competitive attitude, they’re off Sydney’s draft board.

Is it a coincidence that a very strong argument could be made for Sydney’s drafting being the absolute best in the AFL over the past 10-12 years? I’m not talking trades or FA acquisitions, I’m talking the national draft. They’re certainly right up there in the top 3 if they aren’t the best.

Food for thought.

Edit: it would be hilarious if Sydney take Keeler now
Yeah Sydney’s drafting has been pretty good like you say, obviously boosted by being gifted academy players of the ilk of Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell etc.

They have also picked a few top end busts like Matthew Ling and Dylan Stephens. No drafting strategy is foolproof, no team nails every pick, and all kids develop at different rates.

I disagree with that about Keeler. I’ve seen him turn games and single handedly influence the result of games. His first final against Norwood, his first 10 mins of the second half completely turned the game, he was physically monstering kids and ended up with like 7 tackles.
Out of curiosity I checked his stats and nearly half of his marks are contested, contrary to what is being reported on bigfooty in regards to crashing packs and lack of contested marks. All of these criticisms are really overblown. He’s perfectly capable of anything on a footy field, his issue is just what I would describe as consistency of effort. Could be influenced by his tank.

At the end of the day he’s 18 years old, why is he expected to be the finished product? I would be concerned if he was, would mean no upside. A lot of finished product key forwards get taken in the top 10 and end up underwhelming.

Draft a team purely on gut running and effort and you end up with a team of McHenrys and David Mackays. Give me some X Factor, it’s why I watch footy.

Yeah Sydney’s drafting has been pretty good like you say, obviously boosted by being gifted academy players of the ilk of Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell etc.

They have also picked a few top end busts like Matthew Ling and Dylan Stephens. No drafting strategy is foolproof, no team nails every pick, and all kids develop at different rates.

I disagree with that about Keeler. I’ve seen him turn games and single handedly influence the result of games. His first final against Norwood, his first 10 mins of the second half completely turned the game, he was physically monstering kids and ended up with like 7 tackles.
Out of curiosity I checked his stats and nearly half of his marks are contested, contrary to what is being reported on bigfooty in regards to crashing packs and lack of contested marks. All of these criticisms are really overblown. He’s perfectly capable of anything on a footy field, his issue is just what I would describe as consistency of effort. Could be influenced by his tank.

At the end of the day he’s 18 years old, why is he expected to be the finished product? I would be concerned if he was, would mean no upside. A lot of finished product key forwards get taken in the top 10 and end up underwhelming.

Draft a team purely on gut running and effort and you end up with a team of McHenrys and David Mackays. Give me some X Factor, it’s why I watch footy.
Stephens is a bust?

Surely they isn’t correct?

If I’m reading right he’s saying the left over points from those picks moves a later pick forward? I’m positive that can’t be right?

Isn’t it the left over points means that second pick moves to a late pick worth that many left over points?

Ie pick 56 becomes pick 68 (random number for example) not another pick gets moved forward?

If I’m reading right he’s saying the left over points from those picks moves a later pick forward? I’m positive that can’t be right?

Isn’t it the left over points means that second pick moves to a late pick worth that many left over points?

Ie pick 56 becomes pick 68 (random number for example) not another pick gets moved forward?
Might depend on your list spots?

In his scenario...

Bid = pick 32 = 584pts

We require 584 - 197 = 384pts to match

Pick 46 = 331pts -> This pick moves up to #32
384 - 331 = 53pts still owing

Pick 56 = 194 pts
194 - 53 = 141
Pick #56 moves back to pick 61, which is worth 135 pts

With pick 56 having moved back, pick 59 is shuffled up 1 position, and becomes pick 58.

End result:
46 -> 32
56 -> 61
59 -> 58

So yes, pick 59 does get shuffled up, due to pick 56 being shuffled back. The movement of pick 46, to 32, shuffles picks 32-45, but has no impact on pick 56 or 59.

Stephens is a bust?
Respective to his draft position, yeah. I would be disappointed with that at pick 5. Only young so plenty of time for him, but hasn’t really established himself. Maybe the term “bust” was a bit harsh, he’s only young and has finally broken into the side after 3 years, but he’s certainly underwhelming respective to his draft position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back