NIB STADIUM
(PERTH OVAL)
902873_496665637063024_1173430157_o.jpg
20130323_183146_zps123733c8.jpg
Opened: 1904 (Redeveloped in 2003)​
Owner: City of Vincent​
Operator: Allia Holdings​
Capacity: 22,000​
Previous names: Loton Park, Perth Oval, Member's Equity Stadium, ME Bank Stadium​
Tenants East Perth Royals (1910-2002), Perth Glory (1996-), WARL (200:cool: Western Force (2010-)​
Feel free to use this thread to discuss memories, upcoming events and most importantly, the upcoming redevelopment of the stadium, which will occur over the Super Rugby off-season.​

here's the seating plan of the upgrade:

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/document/00000653-source.pdf

(NOTE: Some blocks are called N/A because they will be out of action for most of the 2012/13 A-League season)

And some pictures:

Perth-Oval-redevelopment1.png

Perth-Oval-renders.png

Perth-Oval-redevelopment.png

Perth-Oval-new-stand.png

Not really that happy about the plan to put seats in the lower bowl at the northern end (front of the shed) but I can't wait to see the eastern stand finished. Eventually, the southern stand will be connected to the eastern stand and they will share a roof.

Yeah, it'll look good. I'm pretty happy with these plans, it should be a nice little soccer ground.

Can't wait for it to be finished, would be good to have some work put into creating a somewhat common appearance to the ground so it doesn't look totally mishmashed.

Tony Sage has cracked the shits over it.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/soccer/13893935/sage-spits-dummy-over-stadium-upgrade/

The construction schedule favours the Farce more than the Glory. Construction starts at the end of the Rugby season, and goes through the whole of the soccer season, reducing ground capacity by about half during the duration.

I can't see how else to do it, construction takes months.

It's a case of too bad really, the force get better crowds so they get preference.

Listening to Clint Wheldon tee-off ABC radio this morning. He said capacity will be reduced to 9,500 during construction, with about 5,000 seated and the rest standing room, Perth Glory have only had three crowds over 10,000 in the last three years. So it might be an inconvenience but it won't drastically reduce the numbers. The Farce at fill the stadium (more or less) when they play. He suggested Tony Sage should stop whinging and be more appreciative of the fact that the taxpayer is picking up the tab.

Listening to Clint Wheldon tee-off ABC radio this morning. He said capacity will be reduced to 9,500 during construction, with about 5,000 seated and the rest standing room, Perth Glory have only had three crowds over 10,000 in the last three years. So it might be an inconvenience but it won't drastically reduce the numbers. The Farce at fill the stadium (more or less) when they play. He suggested Tony Sage should stop whinging and be more appreciative of the fact that the taxpayer is picking up the tab.

My first thought when I heard about the reduced capacity for Glory games was "When does the Glory get over 10k anyway?". I'm kind of surprised they've managed it at all.

Mhmm, after a grand final appearance and all the rest, winning ways and, importantly, the club starting to sort out some of its arse-jackery in terms of member services, the potential for pushing the average to 10k was there.

That said, yes, the Force routinely get over 10k and we don't want to screw that over either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, and has anyone pointed out

THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM TO PERTH OVAL IS A F#@KING JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The amount of cars parked on the verges during Western Force/ Glory Games is just disgusting

There needs to be a better access to Perth Oval for public transport, either with more buses/ bus shuttles or a TRAIN STOP next to Perth Oval, which is in the middle of nowhere

Whoever did the planning for Perth Oval has not been playing this computer game->

Transport_Tycoon_Coverart.jpg

Isn't it basically just a train to the city and then a walk? Why can't there at least be a couple of buses running?

Pretty poor effort from WA govt.
Look at what GC and GWS got for brand new franchises and compare it to this poverty stadium which the Glory, Force and soon an NRL team will be forced to use.

Look at what GC and GWS got for brand new franchises and compare it to this poverty stadium which the Glory, Force and soon an NRL team will be forced to use.

Wha choo talking about Willis?

They are getting a complete rebuild and renovation, and at taxpayer expense.

Yeah it may look like a shithole, but the views at this ground are second to none (and they'll get even better with the new redevelopment) and the food is nice and reasonably priced. That's more than can be said for most grounds around Australia.

Wha choo talking about Willis?

They are getting a complete rebuild and renovation, and at taxpayer expense.
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like one covered stand for two, likely three, pro tenants.

Luigi, have you been to GC, Newie, MFS to compare it? Not doubting your opinion but it just doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like one covered stand for two, likely three, pro tenants.

Luigi, have you been to GC, Newie, MFS to compare it? Not doubting your opinion but it just doesn't look all that impressive to me.

First of all, there are 2, soon to be 3 covered stands, taking into account that I have been to about 30 events at the stadium and have only been rained on twice.

Second of all sure metricon stadium looks nice, but getting to and from the stadium is a nightmare. AAMI Park is brilliant though, I'll give you that. Best rectangular stadium in Australia, only thing it needs is to be bigger, which unfortunately won't happen.

First of all, there are 2, soon to be 3 covered stands, taking into account that I have been to about 30 events at the stadium and have only been rained on twice.

Second of all sure metricon stadium looks nice, but getting to and from the stadium is a nightmare. AAMI Park is brilliant though, I'll give you that. Best rectangular stadium in Australia, only thing it needs is to be bigger, which unfortunately won't happen.
Yeah the MFS is a very good stadium, really is a pity it won't get enlarged.

It's just a pity that this stadium will be on the same level as say Ballymore or Kogarah instead of Newcastle, Gold Coast, Melbourne, etc. For people in NSW, QLD, NZ, SA, etc it'll be their only impression of Perth... The WA govt had a great chance to impress people.

Yeah the MFS is a very good stadium, really is a pity it won't get enlarged.

It's just a pity that this stadium will be on the same level as say Ballymore or Kogarah instead of Newcastle, Gold Coast, Melbourne, etc. For people in NSW, QLD, NZ, SA, etc it'll be their only impression of Perth... The WA govt had a great chance to impress people.
At least the shiny new stand will be opposite the broadcast end, will be a much nicer look. I'm not sure what other inner-city options they had for developing a rectangular stadium and they couldn't afford to wipe out and rebuild the stadium and turf the Glory and Force whilst a three-year build took place. However, we do get a stadium with great sight lines, right up close to the action, a homely sort of air and the distinctiveness of the Shed.

As for putting a train station ... Claisebrook station is 200m south of the stadium. A 450m walk over the pedestrian bridge, Edward and Lord St and you're there. A better bus exchange out front might be a better idea but dunno what else could really happen there. They aren't going to put a 500m diversion on a rail line that would cross over Polly's Pipe.

Maybe after the StadiumWA project there will be sufficient space to plonk an analogue to the MRS/AAMI next to it to take advantage of the same transport links, but for now it looks like the most is being made of the options that are feasible.

Isn't it basically just a train to the city and then a walk? Why can't there at least be a couple of buses running?

Get off at Claisebrook and it's at most a 5 minute walk. It's only a few hundred metres away. Dunno what the hell XFactor is on about. Plenty of parking within 10 minutes as well, there's a big parking lot on the corner of Lord and Royal St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back