Toast Nic Naitanui #1 Ranked player in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Emac better than Gov for a longer period of time?

Not sure I agree with that one. Mackenzie was a very solid defender but we built a premiership-winning gameplan around Gov and he forced clubs to change the way they play (to our detriment since 2018, but still).
Love emac but his elite seasons spanned like 2 season and probably was consistent from like 2011-14.

Gov won his 4th AA in a weak field, there wasn't really anyone else that demanded selection that year. He was still first in intercepts and 3rd for contested marks across the whole league. People just tend to re-frame what they expect from gun players; by his standards, he was a bit down, but relative to the rest of the league, he was still dominant to the extent that other teams were playing a defensive forward on him, something practically unheard of for KPDs.

Same for Nic; by his lofty standards, he was just Nic. People look at Sean Darcy and his explosive improvement and think that means that he's had a better year than Nic, when really Nic has just set the bar so high to begin with, its hard to improve from there (and yet, he still probably did).

Gov won his 4th AA in a weak field, there wasn't really anyone else that demanded selection that year. He was still first in intercepts and 3rd for contested marks across the whole league. People just tend to re-frame what they expect from gun players; by his standards, he was a bit down, but relative to the rest of the league, he was still dominant to the extent that other teams were playing a defensive forward on him, something practically unheard of for KPDs.

Same for Nic; by his lofty standards, he was just Nic. People look at Sean Darcy and his explosive improvement and think that means that he's had a better year than Nic, when really Nic has just set the bar so high to begin with, its hard to improve from there (and yet, he still probably did).
having no Shuey and yeo for chunks of the year probably took some shine off his ruck efforts too. As much as he makes the midfielder look great his connection with Boots is unreal. His connection with Tk is getting better but not at the standard of Boots and Yeo.

Weird. All I got was Eagles players when I went there on my phone.

There is a link where you can choose to view players from the whole AFL or just particular clubs (it's situated just above Petracca's head in the screenshot I uploaded). I had it set to 'all clubs'. Maybe yours is set to West Coast?

There is a link where you can choose to view players from the whole AFL or just particular clubs (it's situated just above Petracca's head in the screenshot I uploaded). I had it set to 'all clubs'. Maybe yours is set to West Coast?

I'm just getting Eagles too. I'm sure it's a settings thing.

Edit: so when I clicked on desktop view on my phone, I could see it had defaulted to Eagles which you can't see in mobile view

Reason #1,564,789 to not use mobile view when browsing the net

My favourite quote from analyst Daniel Hoyne in the article:
“While he doesn’t kick the goals, in terms of his ability to create the assists and generate scores from his ruck work, there’s no one else in the competition that actually compares to him.

“It gets back to the impact, that’s what the ratings are trying to measure, and there’s no player in the competition who has a greater impact than what he does on the ground.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2022-champion-data-rating-system-explained-daniel-hoyne-elite-players-best-player-nic-naitanui-shock-selections/news-story/b23df1897ba519c6fa7d891694eb7b07

Last edited:
My favourite quote from analysis Daniel Hoyne in the article:
“While he doesn’t kick the goals, in terms of his ability to create the assists and generate scores from his ruck work, there’s no one else in the competition that actually compares to him.

“It gets back to the impact, that’s what the ratings are trying to measure, and there’s no player in the competition who has a greater impact than what he does on the ground.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2022-champion-data-rating-system-explained-daniel-hoyne-elite-players-best-player-nic-naitanui-shock-selections/news-story/b23df1897ba519c6fa7d891694eb7b07
Doesn't average enough running bounces

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matters not, we get belted in the middle most games.
I think it's far more accurate to see that our midfielders were poor with translating any grunt work into positive play.
In terms of the clearance list comparing us to the top 8 teams for the H&A season:
Western Bulldogs 868 clearances
Brisbane 865 clearances
Geelong 857 clearances
GWS 806 clearances
Melbourne had 803 clearances
West Coast 798 clearances
Sydney 782 clearances
Port Adelaide 780 clearances
Essendon 756 clearances

And yet we rated 5th last in the AFL in inside 50s for the year and bottom 3 for total disposals.
I think this reflects somewhat on our game style but also on our midfielders limitations.
Doesn't average enough running bounces
Ranked no 1 of all ruckmen for bounces actually

My point is it means nothing how high he is rated if we lose the battle in the area he dominates in.
We pretty much break even in the contest/clearances (Where Nic does his work), and get flogged in uncontested footy (where the other mids are useless).

Anyone who watches us knows that we are competitive when Nic is on the field, and dire as soon as he goes to the bench.

Apparently when you dominate Gawn in the ruck contest you aren't the better ruckman . I thought Gawn cowered away from Naitanui in the ruck at times . Granted Gawn is a great contested mark and that's handy . If Nick had a fit Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo at every centre bounce then Nic would look even better . Melbourne's midfield of 1st round top 10 picks over a decade and 1/2 helps Gawn as well .

AA is a farce.

Unless you're using it as an example as to how good your own players are like greatest CHB of all time Jeremy McGovern, then the selections are spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back