Nic Naitanui Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's a coincidence that we've had a couple of Richmond supporters 'pay their respects'.

I remember that game in maybe 2015(?) at the G where Nic was basically showing off. Worked the full clock face. Just stuff you shouldn't be doing, it was ruck art.
YEah I was trying to remember which year that was. I recalled it being against the Tigers. It was the best exhibition of ruck work I've ever seen, especially the first half. Almst every ball up or throw in was tapped straight to an Eagles player running onto the ball. Shuey had a field day.

YEah I was trying to remember which year that was. I recalled it being against the Tigers. It was the best exhibition of ruck work I've ever seen, especially the first half. Almst every ball up or throw in was tapped straight to an Eagles player running onto the ball. Shuey had a field day.
Might've been in round 12 (about 14 minutes and 30 seconds in this highlights video, which FYI took forever to make).
I actually preferred his game against Adelaide three rounds later (18 minutes and 15 seconds). I don't think I've ever seen such a dominant display of tap ruck as in that game. His co-ordination with everyone that game was on point - Shuey, Priddis, Sheed, even Le Cras at one stage.

Agree. And on 360 tonight they are dedicating their show to Jack Riewoldt retirement.
Yep, just watched that AFL 360 episode.
They spent 1 minute and 35 seconds discussion Naitanui, of which, 1 minute and 15 seconds was Sam Mitchell's comments.
Whereas the following day they spent over 20 minutes on Jack Riewoldt's career. Truly reprehensible.

Might've been in round 12 (about 14 minutes and 30 seconds in this highlights video, which FYI took forever to make).
I actually preferred his game against Adelaide three rounds later (18 minutes and 15 seconds). I don't think I've ever seen such a dominant display of tap ruck as in that game. His co-ordination with everyone that game was on point - Shuey, Priddis, Sheed, even Le Cras at one stage.

He was not only robbed of an AA that year but they also decided to not have two rucks on the bench. Then a fee years later decided they can’t leave out either grundy or gawn from the side

Not just that era but early 90s with Lockett, Loewe, Winmar, Harvey, Burke, McAdam etc

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saints were really unlucky in 1997

Everitt broke his collarbone first week of finals and Winmar’s father died the day before the GF

Were a better side than Adelaide but not on the day

And a shitty bounce away in 2010

They were also a seriously good team in 04/05. Lost an away prelim to Port by a goal in 04 but then blew a home prelim against Sydney in 05. They've definitely had their chances to grab that second flag over the last 20 years.

They were also a seriously good team in 04/05. Lost an away prelim to Port by a goal in 04 but then blew a home prelim against Sydney in 05. They've definitely had their chances to grab that second flag over the last 20 years.

Who could forget...

s-l600.jpg

Thank you for sharing those highlights.
How he will be missed, now the faint hopes of a return have been sadly snuffed out.
Same achilles heel as the impressive Laurie Keene.

Apart from the incomparable ruck work and centre square presence, contested possession and clearance stats, the thing they highlight to me was his awareness of positioning of others, handball to advantage of any distance and quickness of disposal.
I also used to love that closing speed and tackle, like a shadow of doom approaching the victim. (with later the calculation of mass ratio analysis added)

Thank you for sharing those highlights.
How he will be missed, now the faint hopes of a return have been sadly snuffed out.
Same achilles heel as the impressive Laurie Keene.

Apart from the incomparable ruck work and centre square presence, contested possession and clearance stats, the thing they highlight to me was his awareness of positioning of others, handball to advantage of any distance and quickness of disposal.
I also used to love that closing speed and tackle, like a shadow of doom approaching the victim. (with later the calculation of mass ratio analysis added)
In essence tge style of game he played as ruckmen was more like a big bodied mid and yet in an era where we froth big bodied mids we rather him play like other ruckmen where he got a ton of uncontested possessions around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the video the club put up on the website for NicNat. Made me cry, we are loosing an absolute superstar on and off the field. We will never see anyone like Nic Nat ever again. Love ya big guy, enjoy the celebrations tomorrow, you are a champion.

y u do dis :( :(

Remember when when had the big Hurn kick out up the wing and Nic would take a big grab at just the right time in the game. Good times.

The big fella came across really well on Front Bar.

Didn't know that someone from the Melbourne footy club phoned him the night before the draft and said they were going to take him at pick 1.

He was surprised when they called out Jack Watts.

Probably another reason Gary Lyon hates us:D

The big fella came across really well on Front Bar.

Didn't know that someone from the Melbourne footy club phoned him the night before the draft and said they were going to take him at pick 1.

He was surprised when they called out Jack Watts.

Probably another reason Gary Lyon hates us:D
Pretty sure he was the one who pushed for Melbourne to pick Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back