Nic Naitanui Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I was lucky enough to see a few special game winning moments from nicnat.

that hawthorn game, that Nth game.

what stands out for me, is watching live, whenever he went to the bench, it was like the rest of team shrunk 6 inches in height, they looked a bit deflated, but then whenever he came back on, they rose like giants, to be bigger than reality. I’ve never seen anyone have that effect.

You realise the impact he has had on the club when my daughter, who is 9, and never watched an eagles game with NicNat playing, gets so upset when I tell her NicNat is retired.

Her reaction: No! Now I’ll never get to see him play!

His gravity to drawing fans to the game is immense.

Enjoy retirement big man.

This should never happen again to this footy club, all retiring players Nat, Hurn, Shuey have been fantastic for the club, but holding onto our aging champions has placed us in this position. All players from now on over 27 only get a 1 year contract if they don't like it they can leave. They will trigger another year contract if they play a specific amount of games in that year. Hopefully the club has learnt a lot out of the past few years.

This should never happen again to this footy club, all retiring players Nat, Hurn, Shuey have been fantastic for the club, but holding onto our aging champions has placed us in this position. All players from now on over 27 only get a 1 year contract if they don't like it they can leave. They will trigger another year contract if they play a specific amount of games in that year. Hopefully the club has learnt a lot out of the past few years.
They won't.

But the new wave can begin now.

Hope we can draft a few gems over the next couple of years

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is madness. All premiership teams have a solid core over 27 and being offered only 1 year contracts would see them all leave.

Hurn has been good and durable. Nic Nat and Shuey have been betrayed by their bodies, but they haven't exactly been stopping us rejuvenating our list.

I always saw Naitanui as one of the most influential players in the game when at his best, if not the most influential. Criminally under-rated by people who can't appreciate the value of players whose best work is not measured in kick-mark-handball type stats. His career has imo gone under-awarded for this reason. Naitanui was a wrecking ball on the ground whose ruck work was as good as we have seen.

It was tragic for Eagles that the second half of his career was riven with major injuries, and this alone may have stopped the club adding to its 2018 Premiership haul. Truly great and unique player.

I will always remember him as a player who caused Eagles to surge ahead in otherwise even matches with 5 minute bursts of repeat goals out of centre clearances. I can't recall another player ever doing this to the extent of Naitanui. Seems a terrific person too. Sad to think we won't see him play again.

Love this goal

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daniel Kerr shrugged past three players with laughable ease, now we have players who stop and drop on site.

Subiaco was outdated but the atmosphere there when the Eagles were up and about will never be matched at Optus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Kerr shrugged past three players with laughable ease, now we have players who stop and drop on site.

Subiaco was outdated but the atmosphere there when the Eagles were up and about will never be matched at Optus.
Someone else posted this elsewhere and it's just fake *ing news

The atmosphere at Optus in the first final against Collingwood in 2018 was better than anything I ever experienced at Subi

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Someone else posted this elsewhere and it's just fake *ing news

The atmosphere at Optus in the first final against Collingwood in 2018 was better than anything I ever experienced at Subi

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Fair play. During the H&A I reckon Subi got pumping more than Optus. Finals are a different ball game though.

Atmosphere at Optus probably sucks because we keep getting beaten and aren't playing in games that matter.

Note: i live in Sydney and haven't been to Optus, but was at the first final at Subi against Hawks in 1991 and other big games. Subi sucked.

So people know in relation to the rest of the league and every player in it Nicnat's impact rating for the 2021 season was not only the highest for the year but the largest difference in regards to impact between first and second in the league since the stat has been recorded. For someone post 2 knee reconstructions considering all the great players in the league I think this shows that even statistically his best was in a league of it's own.

I will remember the marks, the chase downs, the taps and all the things that made him exciting but that desire to dominate and ability to do so with a failing body is just first class. He truly intimidated even the greats from other clubs. We really were one elite inside mid and a fit Nicnat away from an all time dynasty.

We all knew it was coming, but we all hoped that we'd see him play at least once more, even if just for a well earn't farewell game 😢

I will forever feel fortunate to have been there on that wet & wild night at Subi, Round 13 in 2009, for his first game at home. Taunting Campbell Brown, 3 kicks, 3 goals, (even going for a bounce) & throwing his hands up to the crowd in acknowledgement... we knew we had something special.

He was in Bunbury for a meet & greet only a few days later, an opportunity i did not miss, although it was a little confusing asking him to sign "To Hawks" (my nick name)

nn1.jpg

Our love for him has only grown over his career, the way he gave it his all, the way he conducted himself, and the way he made everyone else on the team walk taller. It's not just us that love him, so do the kids... ALL the kids love him.
I am so glad that I got my daughter, Matilda, to a game to see him play. Round 12, 2020 - once again against the Hawks!

new.PNG.jpg nn2.jpg

My heart broke for you on Grand Final day, 2018, but you kept your chin up, and you were so genuinely happy for the guys when we got over the line to claim the ultimate prize.
I am so happy that you found Brittany, and love seeing the photos of you with your son, with a daughter on the way.
All the best big fella, thanks for everything.

Young Guns (10).png Young Guns (1).jpg

#9 Nic Naitanui (2).jpg #9 Nic Naitanui (4).jpg
Mark of the Year 2015 Nic Naitanui (6).jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back