Nic Naitanui Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me cry thinking about what could of been if he didn't do that first knee.
He was on the verge of being the most dominant player in the league.
He strode around Subi like a colossus, he had the football and the crowd in the palm of his hand.
He was still a great player after but the hangers dried up and he lost a yard.
Sure gonna miss him.

This is sad news even though I don't barrack for the Eagles. Naitanui was one of the most raw talents I've witnessed, his deft tap work and blistering follow-ups just football at its purest. He was so fluid and so natural in applying his craft, a truly creative footballer in an era where that sort of raw creativity is being lost. This guy turned games on their heads in the way most kids aspire to when they play with their siblings in the backyard or their mates at school. Naitanui played the game the way it was meant to be played and I wonder if we'll ever see a ruckman like him again. Honestly, the only downside to seeing the Eagles pip Collingwood at the death in 2018 was that Naitanui didn't take to the ground that day.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we've had a couple of Richmond supporters 'pay their respects'.

I remember that game in maybe 2015(?) at the G where Nic was basically showing off. Worked the full clock face. Just stuff you shouldn't be doing, it was ruck art.

One of the happiest moments I've had as an Eagle fan was when Benny Cousins got his premiership medal.

He battled for years through crap teams and a Grand Final loss and when that siren went I was mainly thinking of him.

Not many players in our history I would've wished the same for.

Nic, Phil Matera, Pridda and Shep

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the happiest moments I've had as an Eagle fan was when Benny Cousins got his premiership medal.

He battled for years through crap teams and a Grand Final loss and when that siren went I was mainly thinking of him.

Not many players in our history I would've wished the same for.

Nic, Phil Matera, Pridda and Shep

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be a neat exercise since we're effectively in the off-season anyway...best Eagles to not win a flag?

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Phil Matera
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Matt Priddis
5. Brad Sheppard
6. Eric Mackenzie
7. Chad Morrison
8. Ashley Sampi
9. Scott Cummings
10. Josh Hill

Feel free to rip into it, whipped up in like five minutes.

Might be a neat exercise since we're effectively in the off-season anyway...best Eagles to not win a flag?

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Phil Matera
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Matt Priddis
5. Brad Sheppard
6. Eric Mackenzie
7. Chad Morrison
8. Ashley Sampi
9. Scott Cummings
10. Josh Hill

I think I did a best 22 to not win a grand final once.

Gehrig and Gardiner are a couple that would be up there.

I think I did a best 22 to not win a grand final once.

Gehrig and Gardiner are a couple that would be up there.

Did consider Gehrig but Cummings edged him out, and completely forgot about Michael Gardiner, he would probably bump Josh Hill out at least. Sampi is purely in there for his undeniable talent but had no longevity.

Scott Selwood probably gets in there. Vice captain and was looking pretty good pre-injury.

Jackson Nelson, probably the unluckiest player to miss out on a flag.

10 years ago getting our player to play till 33 was a decent effort but now days it feel Boot/retired sorta youngish if that makes

Always forget Kerr retired at 30 and I struggle to believe he is only 4 years older than Bunga

10 years ago getting our player to play till 33 was a decent effort but now days it feel Boot/retired sorta youngish if that makes

Always forget Kerr retired at 30 and I struggle to believe he is only 4 years older than Bunga
Woosha had enough of Kerr's s**t. Could've easily played on till 2015 grand final if he wasn't a mental basket case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Selwood probably gets in there. Vice captain and was looking pretty good pre-injury.

Good call.

And no offence to Ryan Turnbull, David Hynes, Mark Seaby and Nathan Vardy, but two of the best three rucks at West Coast didn't play in a flag.

Woosha had enough of Kerr's s**t. Could've easily played on till 2015 grand final if he wasn't a mental basket case.
His body was also battered. In 2018 he would have been younger than what Hurn is now.

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Phil Matera
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Matt Priddis
5. Brad Sheppard
6. Eric Mackenzie
7. Chad Morrison
8. Ashley Sampi
9. Scott Cummings
10. Josh Hill

Not sure if Josh Hill making the list is good or bad but he was an average player

His amazing ruck work, sublime taps 360, athletic ability, crazy speed/tackling/running away..all been mentioned. Incredible.
Off field, one of the best fellas & quite rightly an AFL ambassador...fantastic for the game...talk to the kids that grew up over his time.
I love all the aforementioned.
One other thing I love abut the great man, as a supporter, is that he gave me hope.
Always felt that we were in with a chance, no matter how down we were, that Nic could save us & we would win.
Didn't always fall that way, but man, sometimes it did...and has given me the best memories.
Nic and Buddy....been blessed to watch..olders used to talk about Polly or John Todd or Billy Walker
That's generational, same as Nic, no doubts.
A reason why people love the footy.
and fathers took their sons, cos fortunes used to hide, in the palms of his hands.. Paul Kelly

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Phil Matera
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Matt Priddis
5. Brad Sheppard
6. Eric Mackenzie
7. Chad Morrison
8. Ashley Sampi
9. Scott Cummings
10. Josh Hill

No doubt missed a few, but it's a testament to our club and its success that the list isn't overly long of champions who missed out.

Other clubs can put together superstar teams of players who never saluted. Freo's best ever team is all in there...

His body was also battered. In 2018 he would have been younger than what Hurn is now.
He was never going to last. Once Cuz melted down and Judd bailed teams were double teaming him and literally tackling and scragging him off the ball as he was our only threat.

Was a disgrace and the AFL didn't act until some of the stars for Victorian teams started getting the same treatment.

Woosh didn’t retire him tho I heard an interview where it was said Simmo really tried hard to get him to play on in 2014 but Kerr wasn’t to keen on learning a new style of play and thought it would be a good time to retire.

Woosh didn’t retire him tho I heard an interview where it was said Simmo really tried hard to get him to play on in 2014 but Kerr wasn’t to keen on learning a new style of play and thought it would be a good time to retire.

Given subsequent events, someone claiming Kerr was a mental basket case shouldn't automatically be disbelieved though.

He did indeed cop a lot of treatment though when Judd and Cousins departed and still did well.

Would have made 2015 much more interesting if Kerr had played on had a throw back year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back