Nic Naitanui urges public to ‘grow together’ after mother paints son’s skin for Book Week parade

Remove this Banner Ad

And you can tell from his FB post that he probably did, until he realised he couldn't set an example of tolerating it.
And that's the problem. If he looked at it originally and thought 'cool, this kid thinks I'm a hero and wants to dress up as me for book week' and then changes his stance when a bit of backlash comes about, it's going about it the wrong way.
Not saying that's how it happened, but I find it very hard to believe that if he had come across this picture by himself, that he would have felt offended and saddened by it.

Why the **** are the opinions posted on facebook by some random woman turned into news?
Maybe because it's an interesting and opposing view from somebody of a similar background to those that are supposed to be offended by it. Heaven forbid that we might find out the opinions of those that can't normally be heard, through one of the few ways that they can be heard. I mean this whole thing started from a facebook post.

And that's the problem. If he looked at it originally and thought 'cool, this kid thinks I'm a hero and wants to dress up as me for book week' and then changes his stance when a bit of backlash comes about, it's going about it the wrong way.
Not saying that's how it happened, but I find it very hard to believe that if he had come across this picture by himself, that he would have felt offended and saddened by it.

Depends how you interpret his post, but to me it looks like he wasnt that offended and he actually liked it, until he realised the racial ramifications it could have. Whether he simply felt empathy, that some other POC would be offended by it, or whether he was told he had to publicly condemn it, nobody knows.

Maybe because it's an interesting and opposing view from somebody of a similar background to those that are supposed to be offended by it. Heaven forbid that we might find out the opinions of those that can't normally be heard, through one of the few ways that they can be heard. I mean this whole thing started from a facebook post.

but plenty of 'people of colour', including indigenous people, hate people 'blacking up' for the purpose of 'dress ups', and they hate it regardless of intent. three off the top of my head are briggs, thelma plum and nakkiah lui. it wont offend every 'person of colour', but it doesnt need to.

it is never acceptable to 'paint yourself black', in my opinion.

and the ridiculous part is how on earth are 'dress ups' so important?

the only people that should take 'dress ups' so seriously that they would ignore a not insignificant amount of people saying 'we hate this' are 3 year olds, and they can turn a box into a spaceship, so whether their skin is 'painted black' enough to look like chubbs from 'happy gilmore' means precisely nothing to them.

'painting yourself black' is a disrespectful practice that can and does fall somewhere on the spectrum of 'racist', and it is in an incredibly superfluous one. it serves no practical utility, it will not be missed.

If the intent of what you are doing has nothing to do with racism then its not a racist act to begin with
Disagree, intent isn't always a factor when identifying something racist. I don't believe Eddie had the intent to be racist when he suggested Adam Goodes promote King Kong, but it was still a racist statement.

Im not attempting to 'score points'.
Im just saying that its getting to a point where the PC police are becoming as dangerous to people as the actual racism/sexism etc.

The amount of backlash seen in cases like Harambe, Cecil the Lion etc. just shows how dangerous online lynch mobs can be.

The irony is that the PC crowd will have absolutely no problem bullying others in an attempt to 'prevent bullying'

I absolutely despise Bolt, but there are a few points in this article I agree with.
Just like in the US with racism, some people think the best way to stop it is to go twice as hard the other way (lets shoot some white cops). That only inflames issues.
I reckon your spot on with all your posts in this thread

Opened his mouth on race matters according to the usual rednecks. Black fellas should be good boys and hold their tongues and they will be respected. Usual crap

Where has anyone in this thread said that? Can you provide the quotes? I bet you can't because you're just making up s**t to act morally superior.

Some people including myself have been critical of Naitanui for bowing to pressure from the PC brigade by saying it was racist for the kid to dress up as him.

As others have pointed out, including that indigenous woman on facebook, "blackface" is not using black paint to dress up as your favourite footy player.

Funny how the PC brigade have been quiet about the Dad dressing his kid up as Ben Cousins complete with white powder on his nose to make fun of his drug problems. That was far more offensive than the Mum dressing her kid up as Naitanui yet not a peep about that, absolute hypocrites the lot of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where has anyone in this thread said that? Can you provide the quotes? I bet you can't because you're just making up s**t to act morally superior.

Some people including myself have been critical of Naitanui for bowing to pressure from the PC brigade by saying it was racist for the kid to dress up as him.

As others have pointed out, including that indigenous woman on facebook, "blackface" is not using black paint to dress up as your favourite footy player.

Funny how the PC brigade have been quiet about the Dad dressing his kid up as Ben Cousins complete with white powder on his nose to make fun of his drug problems. That was far more offensive than the Mum dressing her kid up as Naitanui yet not a peep about that, absolute hypocrites the lot of them.
The prosecution rests your honour. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back