Nic Nats Report: Tribunal - Still pathetic/soft/inconsistent

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple answer I think is: If a player is tackled and is in a vulnerable position, whether the arms are pinned or not, and a head injury results, then it will be looked at. They will then consider other factors such as force, tackling action, impact of head v ground etc to determine if its a fine, suspension or its okay.
But this punishes the result rather than the action.

If that is the approach, then how can Burton not get cited for leaving Higgins concussed? How does Cotchin get off for knocking out Shiel in last year's PF?

Or does this rationale chop and change?

Either you assess the action and make that case on its merits. Or you punish the outcome, in which case the free pass given to Burton and Cotchin makes no sense.

I see what you are saying that essentially the AFL seem to be "making it up as they go along" and in some ways I agree. I think its all become outcome based.
See above.

I see the frustration, but also understand that applying an actual set criteria to what is a rough conduct tackle could be nigh on impossible as each tackle is different.
Not at all.

Everyone understood that if you pin the arms or tackle with a secondary slinging motion, that sends up red flags. There was an element of consistency in that. Now the AFL has brought in some new standard and used weight differential to justify it.

Last edited:
This x 1000.

Landing on the footy prompted the forward roll that put Amon’s head into the ground. How Naitanui was supposed to foresee that happening has got me.

Not brought up by our QC either which was curious and disappointing.

Because you tackle the player who has the ball. The ball didn’t promote any forward movement. The driving forward at speed is what done him.

Because you tackle the player who has the ball. The ball didn’t promote any forward movement. The driving forward at speed is what done him.

And that happens in almost every tackle since time began with no suspension.

Amon didn't dispose of the football. He chose to hold on to it and take on the tackle which resulted in him landing on the ball and his head hitting the turf after that.

This changes everything.

You see Cotchin on Blair 2 weeks ago?

Sling and head left in vulnerable position. No case to answer apparently even when he didn't have the ball
But Cotchin has a green light from the MRO, he can do whatever he likes on an AFL field and suffer no consequences for it

Will be interesting to see if Burgoyne goes from his driving tackle that happened with about 7mins to go in the 2nd quarter. If the MRO is consistent he will have to

I love Nic-Nat. I can see both sides of this argument. But at the end of the day, is this a bad result for the eagles? Great excuse not to fly him to Sydney and back. That alone must take a huge toll out of a big guy like Nic-Nat.

He only weighs about 80kg so nah :drunk:
I thought Burgoyne summed up the situation well and decided the player he was tackling was roughly equal is size and weight for the amount of force he administered. Burgoyne should be admired for the duty of care he showed.

I love Nic-Nat. I can see both sides of this argument. But at the end of the day, is this a bad result for the eagles? Great excuse not to fly him to Sydney and back. That alone must take a huge toll out of a big guy like Nic-Nat.
That depends if we want to beat GWS or are relatively content to write it off. I would have liked to have had a crack at them. I'm sure we'll still be trying but our outs and some rain might make an honourable loss more palatable, even though GWS are also missing plenty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That depends if we want to beat GWS or are relatively content to write it off. I would have liked to have had a crack at them. I'm sure we'll still be trying but our outs and some rain might make an honourable loss more palatable, even though GWS are also missing plenty.
I'm barracking for Eagles to win, just don't think i could deal with all the crying about nicnat if they lose

Well, it’s all ancient history now, but I’ll add my two bob’s worth anyway.

Nic’s tackle was probably within the rules but the “push in the back” factor warranted a free kick.

Having said that, he needs to adjust his technique. If he keeps it up, somebody is going to end up crippled and he’ll feel terrible.

I think the week off was wrong, but in a way I’m glad it happened. Hopefully he’ll find a way of being just as fierce without being quite so dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back