Opinion "Nice to see you are in shorts" or how I learned to stop worrying and love the ladies

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...s/news-story/c47314d7b3b09140d5a9466ab8e099fe

North Adelaide man banned by local pub for commenting on staff member’s shorts

A remark about a female employee’s shorts has earned a screenwriter a month-long ban from a North Adelaide pub for offensive behaviour.
Leonard Lee was buying a bottle of sauvignon blanc last month from the Royal Oak’s BWS drive-through on a 42-degree day when he said to a staff member he had been on friendly terms with; ‘nice to see you are in shorts’.

“She went a bit huffy and said ‘well it’s hot’,’’ the 72-year-old, who wrote the hit 1992 animated film Blinky Bill, said. “The comment didn’t mean anything.’'

Mr Lee said when he returned the next day to make another purchase he was approached by the venue manager who told him the employee had made a complaint about him in the workplace log.

“He said I had spoken to her in an inappropriate way, and made her feel uncomfortable,’’ Mr Lee said.

“I said ‘what’ because I was seriously flabbergasted. I don’t like sleazebags, I don’t like drunks abusing staff and I do not indulge in conversations which objectify women.

“But the world has gone mad.’’

Mr Lee said he then returned to the O’Connell St drive-through some days later when the complainant confronted him and asked for an apology.

“I strongly defended myself when she complained about what she says I did wrong, and then she threw my credit card back in the car,’’ he said.

Following this confrontation Mr Lee was asked to attend the pub for a meeting and was served with a barring order, which states that Mr Lee was guilty of “offensive behaviour towards a staff member’”.

Mr Lee, who is banned from the venue until March 28, said he offered to apologise for inadvertently causing offence.

The Royal Oak would not comment on the ban.

Under the Liquor Licensing Act, licensees can ban people for offensive or disorderly behaviour.

SA Best MLC and former TV reporter Frank Pangallo, told The Advertiser he has known Mr Lee for many years as a “respected” member of the film and television industry.

“I have always found him to be an articulate, witty and sensitive gentleman who isn’t the type to make crude remarks at men or women,’’ he said.

Mr Lee said he had long advocated for women when he worked in film and media industries, and was currently providing evidence to the high profile #MeToo movement which is exposing sexual predators, including in the film and television industry.

He is an award-winning documentary maker, including for an SBS film of racism in Australia and a CNN film of life in Iran in the 1980s.

Mr Lee said that nearby business owners Foodworks North Adelaide’s Greg Hetherington and owner of Scuzzi restaurant Robert Barbaro would vouch for his character.

The Advertiser contacted these businesses who confirmed Mr Lee was a man of good character.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unreal, they’re on my s**t list now. Actually, Missus and I had our worst ever Adelaide meal there during our last trip down. My chicken schnitzel was literally a deep fried, non-beaten chicken breast. Tasted s**t and was like rubber. Missus’ ‘Dianne’ sauce was actually just their gravy and even as a gravy it would barely have rated 3/10.

The complaint resolution is perhaps over the top.

But in not sure how people can't see what he said as super creepy.

He didn't even put context to it. As in, its a hot day, nice that they let you wear shorts.
That's all he needed to do. Even though in his head that's probably what he meant... that's not how it was received. It's not up to him to decide what is and isn't offensive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back