Religion nice when science and scripture can support each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Science will do its own thing, independent of what religious texts might say.

The Bible exists. It therefore must have been written down somewhere in a time and place. The two most common places and times are during the reign of king Josiah, and during/shortly after the Babylonian exile.

This is an addition to the existing arachaeolgical evidence that supports that the Babylonians conquered and burnt Jerusalem.

It includes:
  • The Israelite Gate Tower where heavy layer of ash and charred wood was jncovered during the 1970s. Under the ash was discovered four arrowheads. Three of them typical of the kind used by the soldiers of Jerusalem, but the fourth was distinctly Babylonian
  • Burnt Room and the Bullae House (discovered in the 1990s)
  • the "House of Ahiel'
  • Babylonians arrowheads on the Trmple Mount (found in 1999)

archaeology in israel is heavily politicalised.

archaeology in israel is heavily politicalised.

Yes..nationalism......archaeology....Jewish continuity narrative....and so on. I think I've heard most of it. I've also been fortunate to talk personally to Jewish archaeologists in Israel from the Israel Antiquities Authority and Tel Aviv University over the problems of exacavating in Israel which included the impact of their findings on politics. I remember having a long discussion with an archaeologist over coffee outside a Palestinian cafe in Tel Aviv. They served the strongest coffee I think I've ever consumed.

But what's your point in this regard? Are you suggesting that this discovery is not further evidence that the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem in the late 6th century BC?

Yes..nationalism......archaeology....Jewish continuity narrative....and so on. I think I've heard most of it. I've also been fortunate to talk personally to Jewish archaeologists in Israel from the Israel Antiquities Authority and Tel Aviv University over the problems of exacavating in Israel which included the impact of their findings on politics. I remember having a long discussion with an archaeologist over coffee outside a Palestinian cafe in Tel Aviv. They served the strongest coffee I think I've ever consumed.

But what's your point in this regard? Are you suggesting that this discovery is not further evidence that the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem in the late 6th century BC?

just caution when dealing with archaeology in Israel, and certainly some fluff piece in a news feed can hardly be relied upon.

I'm not personally across these historical events, but generally religion makes for very very poor history and the bible is a highly questionable historical document which is virtually useless as history on any thing other than the attitudes of those who write it.

How do you know they were Jewish archaeologists, and how dos it add to your statement? how does their religion add any thing?

just caution when dealing with archaeology in Israel, and certainly some fluff piece in a news feed can hardly be relied upon.

Relied upon for what?

I'm not personally across these historical events, but generally religion makes for very very poor history and the bible is a highly questionable historical document which is virtually useless as history on any thing other than the attitudes of those who write it.

Yes of course it is. But this particular discovery is not confirming anything we didn't already know. It's merely another piece of evidence that confirms an event that is described in the Bible. It doesn't imply the Bible is all historically true or is inerrant.

How do you know they were Jewish archaeologists,

How do I know? How do you think I knew? I was in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and meeting with them personally.

and how dos it add to your statement? how does their religion add any thing?

You were making the statement that archaeology in Israel is highly politicised. That.implies that archaeological 'findings' are slanted towards a particular outcome / conclusion to promote a particualr narrative which is largely, but not totally, based on religion.

Last edited:
Title should read 'Nice when field activities in an historal/cultural field of research which utilises scientific tools to validate findings supports premise that religious scholars used actual events to strengthen the perception that God exists in the minds of the uneducated throughout history'.

Plenty of educated people believe in God.

Yes but a much smaller proportion of educated people believe in god then uneducated people. You have to do incredible mental gymnastics to still believe in god after being properly educated.

Another myth.

Educated people are taught Evolution.

Unless there has been a new version the bible says my wife should submit to me, in everything.
Cool, the bible rocks - it also says I can beat my wife!

I dont think even the most ardent anti-thiest would believe that none of the bible passages are based on historical facts or events. The people that wrote it lived in this world, and knew of such places and events.

Its not a dichotomy where everything in the bible is either true or false. The part of the bible that is in contension is the only one that matter to non-believers; that is, the space god.

Findings such as these only serve to fortify already ingrained beliefs. No one else is convinced by them.
I think if you remove everything from the bible and only leave the place names, you would have a semi accurate book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stumbled on this bullshit story again...and laugh heartily gain.

Almost anything is "proof" of the bibles veracity to the dim enough.

Morons.

It is just another confirmation of biblical accuracy of that period.

Don’t get your panties in a twist.

Unless there has been a new version the bible says my wife should submit to me, in everything.
Cool, the bible rocks - it also says I can beat my wife!

It also says to do unto others as you would have done unto to yourself.....So unless you're a sado-masochist (and your post suggests you may well be); then such actions are prohibited to most sane & psychologically healthy people.....The Bible doesn't legislate for insanity & mental illness.

Yes but a much smaller proportion of educated people believe in god then uneducated people. You have to do incredible mental gymnastics to still believe in god after being properly educated.

Looking forwards to you providing the relevant stats on this one....LOL.

A half-arsed education is a dangerous thing & often leads to delusions of grandeur & the belief in atheism.

This is an addition to the existing arachaeolgical evidence that supports that the Babylonians conquered and burnt Jerusalem.

It includes:
  • The Israelite Gate Tower where heavy layer of ash and charred wood was jncovered during the 1970s. Under the ash was discovered four arrowheads. Three of them typical of the kind used by the soldiers of Jerusalem, but the fourth was distinctly Babylonian
  • Burnt Room and the Bullae House (discovered in the 1990s)
  • the "House of Ahiel'
  • Babylonians arrowheads on the Trmple Mount (found in 1999)
4 months late, but RL I always look for your responses in these threads. Thanks for sharing your knowledge these many years.

That is cause organised religion believes Bible is a history and science book. One of the main reasons why they are wrong and their position is ridiculous

i think the OP is worse than that. plenty of organised religions accept evolution or the age of the universe etc. im more mocking this idiot coz he chooses to use the science (he routinely denies) when it suits, but then spends the rest of his time pissing all over science-based knowledge.

i think the OP is worse than that. plenty of organised religions accept evolution or the age of the universe etc. im more mocking this idiot coz he chooses to use the science (he routinely denies) when it suits, but then spends the rest of his time pissing all over science-based knowledge.

I agree, they seem to be the worst kind, always quoting science when it suits them. The denial of evolution just comes from lack of education thought. I have stopped asking people if they believe in evolution and ask them if they KNOW about evolution. You ask any evolution denier the very basics of evolution and you will get your answer. P35 in a thread a few months ago was quoting Ken Ham ffs, a young earth creationist to support his anti-evolution argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back