Niche domestic cricket references that warm the heart

Remove this Banner Ad

I go back to another Moss, Jeff.

Played one Test and averaged 60.

And what a memorable Test it was. A Mankad, a handling the ball, the last 8 ball over Test and the last Test played in Australia before WSC and the establishment kissed and made up.
Jeff Moss was my captain coach of North Melbourne before North and Geelong merged he left me and lot of others left, stuff going to geelong 1 match then North the next

Andrew Zesers

Had 100 fc wickets by the time he was 21 (was the youngest player to achieve that feat, not sure if it still stands). Was in the 1987 world cup winning squad (played 2 games).

Cut down by shoulder injuries..

Remember him as being a very accurate bowler.

Had a shocking technique...but a good eye as they say..
Paul Nobes is a classic example of the way we sometimes place too much emphasis on technique. When he entered the grade system, had to make heaps of runs just to work his way through the grades. People were so worried about his so-called leg stump deficiencies, but he kept making runs.

Just a word about my favourite as a kid, David Sincock. Played for SA in the early-mid 60s as a left arm googly spinner who was possibly the most prodigious spinner of the ball I've seen. He could spin the ball on glass if necessary. On his day, devastating, but paid for his propensity for massive turn with inconsistent line and length and could get punished.

Sprung into fame when, as a 17-year-old, was asked to bowl to the West Indies 1960-61 team in the nets and was knocking all the Test batsmen over. They couldn't play him at all. His first 3 shield games saw him take 27 wickets, 9 in each game, best was 6/52 against NSW including the scalps of Ian Craig, Brian Booth, Grahame Thomas, Johnny Martin and Richie Benaud. His best ever figures 7/48 against Victoria in 1964-65.

Sadly, from my point of view, only played the 3 Test matches. Sadder still, he was late returning from the Lancashire League to start the 1963-64 Sheffield Shield season, was replaced by Rex Sellers who had a magnificent season and Sincock missed being a regular member of the shield winning season.

I was so disappointed when he moved to NSW at the end of the 1965-66 season due to business reasons, and his 1st class cricket was over having just turned 24. In 35 1st class games for SA (far too few), he bagged 5 or more in an innings 10 times and took 134 wickets.

Had one funny moment when playing in the 1965-66 Test match v England at Sydney. A late wicket fell, and he walked in as nightwatchman before local hero Doug Walters. The scoreboard attendant slotted the name Walters on the board. The crowd, thinking it was Doug gave him the Don Bradman style reception. Sincock was wondering what all the fuss was about :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back