Traded Nicholas Coffield

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh Community Series - Week 1
St Kilda vs Hawthorn @ Moorabbin
111 - 90

Firstly how good has it been to be back watching footy at Moorabbin! Stood in my old spot last night on the outer in front of the (now non-existent) scoreboard. 8,000 people felt comfortable, enough people to make a crowd but not squashed in like the good old days of 28,000-size crowds.

I thought Coff went OK last night. He did some good things but had a few howlers. Disposal and decision-making need to be better. He linked up well in the backline in the last quarter and helped us steady when the Hawks threatened to get within a couple of goals. It was probably his best quarter despite a very obvious clanger, but he was trying to take the game on so you can't fault him too much for that given it was just a practice match.

What this all means for the season proper, who knows. He should keep his spot for the Marsh Community Series game against Collingwood in Morwell and hopefully do even better than last night.

Marsh Community Series - Match 2
Collingwood vs St Kilda @ Morwell
57 - 68

I didn't see the whole match and from reading the game autopsy thread, Coff only got a run in the last quarter and played quite well but probably didn't do enough to force his way into a full-strength St Kilda backline for R1.

His highlight of the match was when he left his man to impact the contest on the defensive wing the ball went our way and he kept running forward through the corridor to provide support for the ball carrier running around the wing. Dunstall certainly talked it up on the Fox coverage.

I fear with an almost fully fit list he'll start the season at Sandy but he has shown that he can be a good player at AFL level and will get his chance to prove it later in the season.

R2
St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs @ Marvel Stadium
14.4.88 def 7.7.49

Debate between Saints supporters on BF raged all week about the composition of our backline and whether that included Nick Coffield or not. In the end he made the team in general played well without doing anything particularly outstanding. There was one clanger, a dodgy kick that caused a turnover and a Bulldogs goal but otherwise was solid and didn't panic under pressure. The Bulldogs only kicked 7 goals so although the I50s were 40 each the Saints defence did really well as a collective. I hope Coff holds his spot. He needs to play to improve and maintain/build his confidence. All the signs are that Ratts will do the right thing and pick players on merit each week to win the game and that helps everyone to become better players and better teammates. If Coff is good enough to be picked more weeks than not then he will know it is because he is good enough and that must be a good feeling.

Last edited:
R3
Collingwood vs St Kilda @ Melbourne Cricket Ground
12.9.81 def 5.7.37

Grundy and turnovers killed us against Collingwood. Grundy gave the Collingwood midfield an armchair ride and our defence was under pressure right from the start and it showed. Our skills were down and that led to mistakes and Coff certainly made a few but he wasn't on his own there. I liked that he still backed himself and didn't panic. He always tries to play his way out of trouble (like his draftmate Hunter Clark) rather than kick blindly and make it someone else's problem. We have had too many players play like that in the recent past and we need to back The Nick Coffield types to develop their skills and always look for the disposal to advantage. That's how Collingwood outplayed us. Flicking it around until they could get a controlled possession. That's our target. That's what we must become. I think Ratts has that vision and I'm confident Coff will hold his spot.

R4
St Kilda vs Richmond (Maddie's Match) @ Marvel Stadium
15.3.93 def 10.7.67

Nick Coffield repaid the faith of the coaching staff for selecting him with arguably his most composed game for St Kilda. In a very even performance by all players across the field Coff held his own and played well. He probably played a better game than his draft mate Hunter Clark but I'm sure Hunter had more attention from the Richmond players than Coff. Now we look for the consistency. He has set a benchmark for the performance new want to see from him so now need to see that again next week. Well done Coff!

R5
Carlton vs St Kilda @ Marvel Stadium
8.7.55 lost to 11.7.73

I pleased to say that Nick Coffield not just followed up a good game against Richmond with another good game but played his best game to date at senior AFL level. Twenty possessions and 461 metres gained (the most by any player from either team). I feel he is starting to get the pace of the game at this level and as I have noted before, he doesn't panic and backs himself to play his way out of trouble. It is the Ratts way and I think he will thrive in that environment. We are also seeing more of his bullet passes to advantage creating a lot of run off the half-back line and through the middle. And no-one on BF is saying anything negative about him this week and many are even praising him even through he has been often (unfairly I thought) nominated to be dropped in previous weeks. Now if we could just sort out his haircut!

He has really hit his straps . At the start of the season i wondered if he would get a game at all . Now he is keeping guys like Webster , Savage and others out of the team . His improvement this season has been a joy to watch . We can now see why they recruited Clark and Coffield , going to be two very long term players if we can keep them of course . Last year Coffield fumbled at important times but he is a different player now , its amazing what confidence does.

R6
Fremantle vs St Kilda @ Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
12.7.79 def 11.7.73

A very disappointing day after kicking 7 goals to 1 in the first quarter. Like most of the team Coff played well in the first and fourth quarters and went missing during the second and third quarters. It was definitely a whole of team issue and we didn't have anyone on the ground to snap us out of it. Onwards to next week.

R7
Adelaide vs St Kilda @ Adelaide Oval
8.7.55 def by 12.6.78

Nick Coffield is getting better and better and a lot of you agree. one of his best games for the club, no doubt.

Howard and Coffield and Steele terrific
Steele, Coffield and Jones had rippers.
Howard snake and coffield is starting to look pretty ******* sexual.
Coffield Clark and Paton as a backline. Showed composure, still very very young.
Coffs best game.
Coffield, Paton and Clark very good in defense. Coffield especially, becoming quite the interceptor.
Howard was really good down back as was Coff
Paton, Coff and Hunts all on about 16 disposals. Not dissimilar to Smith Jones and Brown for the older fans.
Coffield seen Hunter Clark’s 2019 season and said “hold my beer you beautiful prick”
Coff has come leaps and bounds in weeks. Great marks and great decision making.
Coffield looking like a senior footy player now.
Walker was gifted everything from the maggots but Coff, Dougs, Snake and Wilkie, we look as good down back as we have in years.
Really liked Coffield, Paton and Clarke’s games, our backline played well.
For me the positives were Howard and Coffeild. I rated Howard and was wrapt to get him and tonight I think we saw what he can be. I didn't rate Coffield and thought he was a bust but his last few games have shown rapid improvement and tonight he ways a revelation.
I've been really impressed with the development of Coffield's intercept marking. I knew he was quick and had a good kick, but marking was never an attribute I associated with him.
So happy for Coffield. Last year a lot of questions were raised about his top ten selection in the draft . But this year he looks every bit as good as we hoped . The three young guns in Clark , Coffield and Paton have all had great years so far . They are keeping more experienced players like Webster , Savage and Dmac out of the team . Really the only way those guys might get in ahead of the young guns is through injury as their form is just too good at the moment .
Howard. Coffield. Steele. Massive positives tonight.
Steele, Howard, Jones, Coff, Ryder and Butler all good.
Carlisle, Howard, Coffield and Paton were all outstanding.
Steele, Howard, Ryder, Coffield and Carlisle were all good too, Butler, Kent, King and Lonie all played nice cameos up forward kicking much needed goals.
Coffield is showing his class now.
We had some real leaders tonight - Steele, Howard, Coffield, Ryder, Jones and Gresham the most prominent.
Coffield looked so composed.
Coffield really impresses me. It wasn’t much the sitting in the hole all night, but the fact he didn’t go back into his shell after some early clangers. That shows real growth.
Coffield and Howard growing into a colossus as each week passes
Coffield in particular, there is something about him which screams future AA star player.
I watched Coffield during the first Marsh series game, where he got run down a few times, and still gave a sense of indecisiveness, and found myself wondering whether he would figure it out, after clearly bulking up a bit in the offseason ... bit of persistance and trust from the coach and he's starting to look bloody good.

Only game 24, but he's growing into a player who should go 150+, I'm thinking.
My boy Coffield shined bright tonight again. He's gained new strength in overhead marking, might be spending time with Paton.
Steele, Coffield, Howard, Carlisle, Butler all very good.
It's good when we have a couple of players play their best games for the club so far- Coff and Howard.
Great to see Coffark both looking the real deal and well worth the high selections.
Nick Coffield. Absolute stunner of a game, marked anything that came near him, amazing what a bit of confidence can do.
Anyway, I'm sure there's been lots of love for Steele, Doogs and Coff.
Jake is looking like the back is 100%, and he's out there doing everything he can to disrupt in the backline, while I'm loving Coffield's development from potential to present - most improved for mine.
Coffield is putting it all together, surprised how courageous he is in the air. Can absolutely see him becoming an A grader.
To quote the great man, it is so pleasing to see Coffield’s development. Has had his tough moments over his first couple of years and it’s fantastic to see him putting it together. His intercepting is fantastic. He’s a really natural reader of the play.
Also it's great to see Coff putting himself in the hole and his intercepting. Besides Carlisle, not since Chips Fisher have we had someone look as good at setting up off Hlalf back IMO. Wikie and buckets have great hands but not the run of Coff. Very excited to see how he goes after 50 games.

My prediction:
His marking will get better and better.
The biggest improvement will com frmo his decision making and his kicking. I expect him to start takig more and more risks with his kicks, cutting through zones and congestions.
Hopefully from games 60 - 100 we can see him develop as a midfielder too in the Elliot Yeo mould. As an under 18 player his strengths were his composure and decision making, as well as his disposal. With his size and athleticism, his scope is seriously high. He has shown an ability to develop as amid although for the foreseeable future he must stay at half back. For comparison, in terms of development I feel he is 40 games of where Clark is where Clarke will mostly get some midfield minutes in every game but predominately plays off half back.
Jake seems to be feasting off his enthusiasm, and maybe it's also driving a bit of Coffield's improvement as well - our backline looks really, really solid, with more improvement to come.
've really been enjoying seeing the 2017 crop - Clark, Coffield and Paton - grow as a unit every game. Those three are going to be main stays in this side for years to come. And while they will make mistakes every game, I love that they don't let those mistakes stop them from taking the game on at the next opportunity.
Ben Paton and Jake Kelly had the most intercepts in the game : 8
Coffield and Howard had 7, matching the Crows, Doedee
Carlisle had 6
You can see the confidence in Coffield to go for those marks growing every week.
I still (probably unfairly) dont trust what he's going to do with the ball but the talent he has in clear.
Some of the more obscure stats. Including why you SHOULD trust Coffield.

Whilst Doedee (13) had the most effective kicks in the game, Coffield was second with 11.

R7
Adelaide vs St Kilda @ Adelaide Oval
8.7.55 def by 12.6.78

Nick Coffield is getting better and better and a lot of you agree. one of his best games for the club, no doubt.

Great idea to put all the comments about Coffield here . Shows how well he is doing if so many big footy peeps are liking him lol.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R8
Port Adelaide vs St Kilda @ Adelaide Oval
Port 6.8.44 def by StK 12.1.73

A fantastic win. Coff was OK. Got caught flat-footed a couple of times and was outmarked by Port players coming in from the side. Not necessarily mistakes by Nick and he'll learn from it. Otherwise he knows where to run to give the guy with the ball an out. That's one of the best developments within our defence this year. As a unit we are trying to play our way out of defence under control. We saw what happened in the third quarter when we reverted to panic mode and kept kicking it blindly as far as we could over our shoulders. Port had set up a wall and it was back in our 50 in the blink of an eye. Thankfully they didn't make the most of those opportunities and then we flicked a switch in the fourth and five-nil made it look more comfortable than I felt for most of the second half.

Did anyone see Ratten with Coffield after the match, he is so the right man for the job.

Thanks for the reminder. I couldn't agree more. Looked like two blokes chatting about what movie they had watched on the plane to Adelaide but no doubt was more important than that and more of a mentor/coach to player conversation. Ratts looked pleased and Coff looked happy. A tip about the game while still on the ground ... message received.

R9
St Kilda vs Sydney at Gabba
StK 15.11.101 def Syd 6.12.48

Another good game by Coffield against the Swans. A very obvious mistake in the first led to their first goal but that didn't;t seem to affect him and I like it when he has the ball in hand. Seems to link up well with Hunter too and they both usually take the best option which means the ball is coming back put of our defence.

R10
Gold Coast Suns vs St Kilda @ Metricon Stadium
Suns 11.8.74 lost to StK 12.6.78

Very good game by Coff. Everything about his play gets better each week. He is good at making options for players with the ball and taking options when he has the ball. His kicking is low and direct and usually hits a target. Overshadowed by his draft mate's exploits in the last five minutes but who wasn't. Glad we have them both in our team.

R11
St Kilda vs Geelong @ The Gabba
StK 4.10.34 lost to Geel 14.9.93

A very forgettable game from a Saints point of view. I don't think Nick had a particularly bad game, the whole team had a bad game. Geelong were too big and too experienced for us. Just about every team has had one of these games this year and perhaps it's a reflection of the tight fixturing or perhaps Geelong are just much better than us. Onwards to Essendon this weekend.

A word on Bytel. Showed a lot and was far from our worst player.

R12
St Kilda vs Essendon @ The Gabba
StK 10.8.68 def Ess 5.3.33

Coff is putting a nice collection of games in 2020. On the whole more consistent not just within games but also from game to game. This was definitely one of the better ones but it obviously helps when the team is playing well. Still, no Carlisle and Paton off for the last three quarters the defence held up well. I do feel sorry for Sincs though. Not his go at all and was caught out a few times.

Last edited:
R13
Brisbane Lions vs St Kilda @ The Gabba
Bris 6.14.50 def StK 7.6.48

Another great game by Nick on the weekend against a quality side. He is really getting the pace of the play at senior AFL level and his composure is becoming more noticeable each week. We need more players like Coff who can back themselves to play out of trouble rather than kick it blindly as far as they can to 'make it someone else's problem'. That doesn't work very often in modern football and the ball usually comes back just as quickly and it's you problem again or worse, it's not your problem anymore because your opponent has taken a mark and is lining up for goal.

R16
St Kilda vs Hawthorn @ Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
StK 11.14.80 def Haw 9.12.66

Nick was easily one of our best players on the weekend. At times he was matched with Gunston which would have added to his defensive education. It is amazing to think back to the criticism he was getting in the early rounds of the season with '... like a deer caught in the headlights' being a common refrain. I never saw it myself. I saw a young man with lots of potential backing himself and adjusting to the speed of the best football competition in the land. He is getting there quickly and you can see his poise and confidence growing each week.

R16
St Kilda vs Hawthorn @ Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
StK 11.14.80 def Haw 9.12.66

Nick was easily one of our best players on the weekend. At times he was matched with Gunston which would have added to his defensive education. It is amazing to think back to the criticism he was getting in the early rounds of the season with '... like a deer caught in the headlights' being a common refrain. I never saw it myself. I saw a young man with lots of potential backing himself and adjusting to the speed of the best football competition in the land. He is getting there quickly and you can see his poise and confidence growing each week.
Genuine question but has Coff become a top 5 player for us ? Or is he not there yet

As far as I’m concerned he’s become our most damaging defender. At least 3/4 times s game he is able to come out of defence side step, look onboard and hit a 40 metre kick that sets us up

Genuine question but has Coff become a top 5 player for us ? Or is he not there yet

As far as I’m concerned he’s become our most damaging defender. At least 3/4 times s game he is able to come out of defence side step, look onboard and hit a 40 metre kick that sets us up

That's a good question. I find it hard to judge players from the telly. I like to see them live. See how they set up when the ball is coming and what they do when they don't have the ball. Also it's been such as even season for our team with no-one dominating in the majority of games with one standout exception.

If pushed I'd say he's not there yet and may not get there at all which isn't a knock on him given the hopes for players like Steele, Gresh, Max, RoMa and Clark. Not to mention Hill, Billings, Butler, Jones and probably some others.

As I said though. The mood of the forum has changed. It seemed early this season the majority of people who mentioned him wanted him dropped and some suggested he was a bust. I don't think there is anyone who thinks that now. Certainly no-one is saying it.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the B&F. Has been consistent for most games so could go top 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back